rti a9 crossover mods...

Hey All,

first post. long time lurker though. I recently upgraded the crossovers on my A9s. I have long been fighting the upgrade bug in regards to the 2 channel part of my cinema, and instead decided to put some money and time into these.

dfwx0see5aa5.jpg

I have always thought they were a little forward, and am aware of the power they desire. I am not using anything overly bright, but not exactly warm gear either. i have an onkyo prsc5530(post pioneer merger) with a crown xls 2502 to power these, and have my first reflections tamed.

I know they're yesterdays speakers, but i just couldn't stand to get rid of them. They are great and beautifully big speakers. obviously voiced more for HT use, but currently are seeing about 50/50 music and HT use in my application. hence the crossover mods.

vjyfqefjuvxw.jpg

this tamed the harshness greatly, and i have heard some details i didn't quite get revealed in the previous config. it's seems like they get less congested or cloudy with music, but i haven't lost any of that in your face sound that i love them for with movies. if anything, it took the curtain off and made them that much more engaging. Even got the girl to admit she heard different voices and instruments :]

it was maybe $100 usd a piece in components/wire, and a weekend of my time. if anyone is on the fence, i recommend giving them new life over selling them. I'm also a polky and probably attached to them somewhat though, so i couldn't justify letting them go.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Mundorf caps nice touch
  • thanks..i'm a fan of german electronics, japanese too i suppose.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited April 2018
    Last challenge: bigger internal wire, 12 ga. A bigger pain but we’ll worth it. Your bass will thank you
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • ah yes, i did upgrade the wire and connectors as well, for bass and midbass drivers anyways
  • gp4jesus
    edited April 2018
    alphasteel wrote: »
    ah yes, i did upgrade the wire and connectors as well, for bass and midbass drivers anyways
    Way to go!

You’ll hafta give us a review when all the new stuff settles in.

Pity you can’t easily do a side by side w/an in modded pair.

Ears!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • tindean
    tindean Posts: 5
    Can someone point me to parts list for this mod please and thanks.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    tindean wrote: »

The parts list is in your cabinet on the crossover board
  • gp4jesus
    tindean wrote: »
    search the forum. You shouldn’t have much trouble locating an A9 XO mod thread authored by a satisfied owner. Each used the same spec’d components though chose different brand(s) for one reason or another. Bottom line: every cap or resistor swap*, regardless of brand, will move you closer to “nirvana.”
    * unfortunately the cheapest part of speakers

• hey all...just wanted to followup. the dust has definitely settled for the past 6 months.

I still love these speakers and this mod. i rearranged/beefed up the wiring for the bass/midbass drivers and noticed they have a lot more dynamics/punch, and the caps broke in great and if anything i'd say they got quicker.

I hate how subjective a lot of this type of stuff is, but anyone on the fence about this or modding any speaker for that matter, a couple dollars in quality components and some time can go a long way.
  • gp4jesus
    ...rearranged/beefed* up the wiring for the bass/midbass drivers and noticed they have a lot more dynamics* & punch*...
    I been preaching that for years - a BIG bang for almost no bucks. Congrats!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

...this tamed the harshness greatly, and i have heard some details i didn't quite get revealed in the previous config. it's seems like they get less congested or cloudy with music, but i haven't lost any of that in your face sound that i love them for with movies. if anything, it took the curtain off and made them that much more engaging. Even got the girl to admit she heard different voices and instruments :]

Did you tie and torture her or just use a Ouija Board? ;)