And the journey begins ....

Options
Just got home from picking up the SDA 1Cs down San Diego way. Gent who sold them to me bought them about a year ago without knowledge of his wife. Evidently the WAF factor was quite low. He watched my truck with speaker #1 whilst I wheeled #2 out from their apartment. Upon leaving, his wife told me that she couldn't thank me enough ... thought she was going to jump the doggie gate (she was training a puppy) and give me a big hug.

I remember a recent post where Jesse said to lay SDAs down when transporting. Since he clearly knows what he's talking about:
hq4fi4aiobsc.jpeg

Right speaker:
ogzokcsdg2ic.jpeg
n734y9anadjw.jpeg
ndfin7mz8pts.jpeg
63oulrkvp24x.jpeg
06a5okqlk6tn.jpeg
q5459ptot2s9.jpeg
vd15nh7bxtnt.jpeg

Left speaker:
fhw76hhu9klb.jpeg
7y6vrgzco597.jpeg
v3nokao2akhg.jpeg
a8e253njyf14.jpeg

Other:
uoxm9d8tdmt2.jpeg
1eu6wkp2uvp0.jpeg

Overall, the speakers were in a bit better shape than expected for the $265 I paid. All drivers passed the push test.
Caps look salvagable with a bit of filling, sanding and re-finishing. Will get new material for fronts and sides (I like the black fabric on the sides) and attach side panels with heavy duty velcro dots, which I've used on other applications. Clearly those cheap screws have got to go!
Listing said interconnect was included (these are pin/blade) but it was just a single RCA (subwoofer) cable. I'm planning on either Speakon or Dreadnought anyway so no big deal.
Once I get the asthetics dealt with, I'll decide next steps vis-a-vis upgrades. David was kind enough to send me a thorough list of everything to consider. Haven't set a budget yet, but want to see how nice I can make them look before deciding how high is up.
More to come on the project. I gotta run and practice my drum parts for tomorrow's Church service. I'm on the tubs, and the Music Director (my daughter) is a task master!

2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
WiiM Mini
Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
Polk 7B with RDO198s

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Did he try to throw his wife in your truck when you pulled away? I know I would have.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Nice score! Typical cosmetic wear and tear. Keep us posted!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,041
    Options
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    I bought this pair from @lightman1 and fixed them up. They turned out purdy:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/85612/my-new-sda-1c-the-black-beauty/p1

Those are beautiful! Did you refinish or build new caps?
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • Conradicles
    Options
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    Refinish

I'm inspired!
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    Get with me before you order the grill cloth. I have a source that will blow you away. Not the cheapest, but definitely the best out there, by a long shot.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Congrats! The face of the Cabinet and drivers look good! A good Project pair, have fun!
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Options
    Nice find at a fair price. I'll bet you will have those singing in no time! Congrats!!!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    Get with me before you order the grill cloth. I have a source that will blow you away. Not the cheapest, but definitely the best out there, by a long shot.

I will for sure. First phase will be cosmetics, so expect a call soon!
    Thanks!
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Congrats John.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    Thanks David. We'll be talking in the not too distant future ....
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Enjoy those SDA!

did you ever see the CRS crossover Dave did for me? that I put into my SAD 2B's I found? Lord with the Dreadnought he made for me they sing like the God's wanted them too!
    z3msj1a88pdo.jpg

Meaning they are Heavenly to hear o:)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Very nice!! you will not be disappointed
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Enjoy those SDA!

did you ever see the CRS crossover Dave did for me? that I put into my SAD 2B's I found? Lord with the Dreadnought he made for me they sing like the God's wanted them too!
    z3msj1a88pdo.jpg

Meaning they are Heavenly to hear o:)

Thanks Brother
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Mario who works with me made me promise that he gets my CRS +'s or the SDA 2B's someday as he grew up worshiping Matt Polk and current owns some RTA12's and some RTiA9's and some M5's i Think.

I told him him you got it B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Jaybeez
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Question 1: Refurb the end caps or replace? If the former, remove first or leave on / tape off the cabinet? If the latter, any reason to avoid solid wood? I ask because my bro-in-law is a master wood worker and could handle either solid or laminate.
    Post edited by Jaybeez on
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    Relaminate in place. They are an itch with a B to take off.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cascius
    cascius Posts: 175
    edited April 2018
    Options
    We want some pics!
    Main System:
    Front: SDA 2ATLs
    Center: CS2
    Surround: M40s
    Sub: PSW505
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1121k
    Amp: Carver AV 705x
    TV: Samsung LN52A650
    Media Player: Chromecast/Boxee Box
    BD Player: Sony BDP-S470
    Consoles: Xbox360, Wii U
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    cascius wrote: »
    We want some pics!

Nothing changed since Saturday pics above. Will add more as I go.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • verb
    Options
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    Question 1: Refurb the end caps or replace? If the former, remove first or leave on / tape off the cabinet? If the latter, any reason to avoid solid wood? I ask because my bro-in-law is a master wood worker and could handle either solid or laminate.

Lots of comments on solid wood. Solid wood is less dense, and subject to warp over time. To alleviate that, you could laminate strips together to minimize that effect (aka cutting board). Most of the 12" wide boards you buy nowadays are 3 or 4 smaller strips glued together. MDF is inherently non directional so no warpage over time.

One thing I did after removing the endcaps (which are glued/stapled) was to replace the attachment scheme with threaded fasteners. They make ones that have a woodscrew thread on one end and a regular threaded end on the other. I believe the higher ended SDA's all have that type.

Be very careful prying off the endcaps. A thinwall prybar is a must. Start at the back too.

I got pics posted in my thread:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path/p1
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Conradicles
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    One thing I did after removing the endcaps (which are glued/stapled) was to replace the attachment scheme with threaded fasteners. They make ones that have a woodscrew thread on one end and a regular threaded end on the other. I believe the higher ended SDA's all have that type.

Be very careful prying off the endcaps. A thinwall prybar is a must. Start at the back too.

I got pics posted in my thread:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179960/another-1c-upgrade-path/p1

I did the same thing. Not too bad removing them.
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    I talked to my brother in law, who is a master woodworker. He suggested I try to sand / refinish the current caps, which I will give a shot at doing while attached.
    If it doesn't work, he suggested (and will make) a new set out of MDF then veneer them (says laminate is the wrong term) with whatever I choose.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    John, there's not much point in sanding and refinishing your original caps because at least two of them are damaged, one pretty badly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Options
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    I talked to my brother in law, who is a master woodworker. He suggested I try to sand / refinish the current caps, which I will give a shot at doing while attached.
    If it doesn't work, he suggested (and will make) a new set out of MDF then veneer them (says laminate is the wrong term) with whatever I choose.

Yep. Even the dents/missing veneer parts are repairable with replacement bits of veneer. Lots of how to stuff out there. Not the best example, but gives you an idea:
    nfhar03ukjcw.png
  • Jaybeez
    edited April 2018
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    John, there's not much point in sanding and refinishing your original caps because at least two of them are damaged, one pretty badly.

Yeah, I'm on the bubble on what to do about them. For kicks, I'll try and repair. I have a solid plan B if it doesn't work. Fill and sand will come first if it doesn't look "do-able" I'll call my bro-in-law and turn the caps over to an expert. I'm leaning toward remove/replace as I really want to veneer with Curly Maple or Bubinga.
    If I remove / replace I'll need to figure out how to re-mount. Thinking the glue/staple method won't be an option.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    You can fill, sand and refinish, but even I couldn't make that amount of damage disappear with all the materials I have at hand. I could make it look pretty good, but.....

The veneer patch method, while appropriate on a true antique, is not something I would recommend for a speaker. No matter what, the veneer will never match and the cut lines will always be visible.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    [quote="F1nut;c-2402576"
    The veneer patch method, while appropriate on a true antique, is not something I would recommend for a speaker. No matter what, the veneer will never match and the cut lines will always be visible. [/quote]

Totally agree here. Has anyone here ever tried using a heat gun to remove old veneer?
    Those caps look like prime candidates for replacement to me.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    Yeah, well if the patch and stain doesn't work it'll be full replacement and not veneer patch.
    I'll pull the caps and have them cut anew, then have veneer applied to the new caps.
    Just have to find the right motivation / remuneration for the master craftsman who doesn't know yet that he may be helping me on this project ...
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • Jaybeez
    Options
    Patched, sanded and scrubbed down top caps with Barkeepers Friend today. Hooked up to the Marantz rig to check all speakers, which do all work, though without interconnect cable the SDA magic was absent.
    Glue on side panels gave up well before my purchase, so I removed the round head screws and took said panels off. No visible damages to speaker boxes, just some glue residue to deal with.
    Next up is speaker removal and mailing of cross overs to @westmassguy as well as all the structural stuff (hurricanes, power grab, etc.).
    bp3gil7dee8w.jpg
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

WiiM Mini
    Polk 7B with RDO198s