People must be on drugs...

nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
edited April 2018 in The Clubhouse
I have had my turntable listed for sale at U.S. AudioMart for a bit now, for about 8 grand... I got this offer today.

Hi,
I would like to ask for $4000.00 the table included the origin live MKIII tonearm 9" and cartridge ClearAudio Titanium V2 and the power supply. I will come to pick it up by myself. Please let me know.
Thanks,
Kevin

He seriously thinks I will consider this offer? The arm alone has a retail north of 3k, and the cartridge the same... The table another 15k plus, and the motor controller 2700!

I have another 1k worth of accessories and upgrades I have done, for a retail total pushing 25 grand, and this bozo offers this?

My reply to him...

Will you also be providing me with the drugs you must be on?

After my last experience with U.S. AudioMart, lets just say I am done dealing with stupid people. >:)
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    John I would like to purchase your tt for three fiddy, I will need you to hand carry it to me.

Thanks
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    John, with that dude's request, he has no intention of paying. That's disrespectful and shows a complete lack of reality. Your response is rather gentle IMO, I'd have cut him down for being such a ****.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    He would like to "ask for"......LOL

Gotta be a knuckle dragger.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Mouth breather.

You know that if I had the scratch I'd be all over your TT.

If it's still around when I win the lottery I'll give you a shout.

All kidding aside, it's a steal at the price you are asking. Anything south of that is an insult.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    GLWTS John.

That IS a steal of a deal you're offering!

It's also one of the nicest designed turntables I've ever seen. A true GEM.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Tony M wrote: »
    GLWTS John.

That IS a steal of a deal you're offering!

It's also one of the nicest designed turntables I've ever seen. A true GEM.

I've seen it in person and it's breath taking!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Haha, what?! Your prices are always fair, more than fair even!

I'd say if they're going to make comments like that then you don't want them as your customer anyway.
    DSkip wrote: »
    I've had clients argue with me that I can sell a product for less than I can even get it for. "I know you have better margins than that!"

• Tony M
    edited April 2018
    I want to buy it but I have that video of the UPS girl rolling it towards that ladies' house without useing a dolly. :s

It's carved into my memory bank.Like that box with the chess set in it that was just delivered to me in the dark of the night a month or so ago. The chess set was delivered by the USPS.

So 2,614 miles for John's TT to come here is not a risk I can take EVEN though JOHN would pack it for an apocalypse too. My luck, a forklift driver would be having a bad week or day and spot that nice square box and.. :s

But insurance would get me a brand new one, wouldn't it? "Insure well", but John knows the routine as well as anybody.

I hope somebody on this Forum gets it and I'm pretty sure there are 4 people who might be the ones to step up. If my 401K didn't take such a hit, this forum would've seen " TONY M. sending John a PM." post.

If I sold my hoard, I could afford it easily. :s:#
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    F1nut wrote: »
    He would like to "ask for"......LOL

Gotta be a knuckle dragger.

I guarantee the guy speaks the kings english if any. More than likely based in a little town near Mumbai.......
    IME that is the way most ask for stuff from that location
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    How about you sent me the TT, which I need for collateral to secure a loan. Once I have the loan I can get a large inheritance that has been frozen in an account by corrupt officials. I’ll gladly share this money with you later.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I guarantee the guy speaks the kings english if any. More than likely based in a little town near Mumbai.......
    I would say that his name being "Kevin" shoots a hole in this theory, except I know somebody that was talking to a customer support agent in India who introduced himself as "Abraham Lincoln". :p
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I would say that his name being "Kevin" shoots a hole in this theory.

No it does not. You could call yourself "Saddam" it don't make you Iraqi...
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    No it does not. You could call yourself "Saddam" it don't make you Iraqi...
    Ummmm....that was my point.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    DSkip wrote: »
    You know what the previous usher distributor decided to do after dealing with audiophiles? He moved to Florida to sell tshirts on the beach. I don't blame him.

LOL.....A glimpse into your future Skip ? Let me know when ya get there, I need some Tommy Bahama T-shirts. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    You don’t want the drugs that guy is on
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Still a better price than Russ would offer.

Hey! :/
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    PFB's name was Kevin... Coincidence?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Tell him $4k sounds like a great down payment and you'll hold equipment @ 0% until balance paid...JAT
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Clipdat
    Can't be him. No way the Triangle Art would fit in the trunk of a Boxster.
    PFB's name was Kevin... Coincidence?

• factorz
    factorz Posts: 353
    The worst is after you decline the low ball offer they respond with the "tell me what the lowest you will take is".

Skip to your point I have been in sales long enough to tell you that customers can very unreasonable and its typically the ones that spend the least with you, but think it's the most.
  • Tony M
    It's a wonder he didn't ask for your bank account # so he could send you your asking price directly. :#
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have had my turntable listed for sale at U.S. AudioMart for a bit now, for about 8 grand... I got this offer today.

Hi,
    I would like to ask for $4000.00 the table included the origin live MKIII tonearm 9" and cartridge ClearAudio Titanium V2 and the power supply. I will come to pick it up by myself. When you are not home. Please let me know when no one is home. Please leave the door open and just tape the check for $4000 to the TT. Also please leave some snacks out, my drugs give me the munchies.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

He seriously thinks I will consider this offer? The arm alone has a retail north of 3k, and the cartridge the same... The table another 15k plus, and the motor controller 2700!

I have another 1k worth of accessories and upgrades I have done, for a retail total pushing 25 grand, and this bozo offers this?

My reply to him...

Will you also be providing me with the drugs you must be on?

After my last experience with U.S. AudioMart, lets just say I am done dealing with stupid people. >:)

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Many folks have no shame.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,199
    Five hipoints, and that's my final offer. Take it or leave it.
    Sal Palooza
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I would like to kindly disagree, John, they don't have to necessarily be on drugs...some of them are just FREAKIN STUPID! And arseholes, let's not forget that one.

Agreed. And the same thing applies to other areas in life. The funny part is how stupid people think they are smart, and know everything. LOL

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    He upped the offer to 6k... I responded that my price is firm.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Surprised you even bothered to reply at all.
    He upped the offer to 6k... I responded that my price is firm.

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Firm???

For him cut a deal; $11.5k.