Farewell to OPPO Electronics

Options
Mike Reeter
Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
edited April 2018 in Electronics
I don't think this is an April Fools Joke.

Just posted via their website:

https://oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

It has been 14 years since we established OPPO Digital in the United States, and with the support of our customers, technical partners, and movie/music studios, we produced many award-winning Hi-Fi audio products and universal disc players, spanning three generations from DVD, Blu-ray, to 4K UHD.

As our latest 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye. We are proud to have made such well-regarded products and to have served the enthusiast community. Without our customers' suggestions, encouragement, and support, we could not have accomplished these achievements.

Though OPPO Digital will gradually stop manufacturing new products, existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time. Customers can rest assured that they will continue to receive the high quality service and support that they have come to expect from OPPO Digital.

We greatly appreciate the opportunity to have developed such exciting products for our customers. It has been an honor.

Best regards,

All of us at OPPO Digital

Further FAQ at the link above^^
Post edited by Mike Reeter on

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Oh my!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    I just bought a new 205 and my heart sunk a bit. Luckily they will be honoring warranties and still be doing firmware updates.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Well so much for moth balling my 103, gonna leave it hooked up just for firmware updates
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Shocker...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Tuck and run azz wipes. We reached the top now we're going to quit??? Glad I don't own any of their products if this is legit. Bunch of gobblers!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Yeah bummer. I like my 93, was hoping to get a 205 soon.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    It's the default disc spinner suggestion on another forum and they are freaking out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    I have a 105D, thought about getting rid of it for a 205 for the 4k capabilities, but, decided to get the Sony 4k player instead, and kept the 105D. When it comes to the 2 playing back Blu rays the OPPO has a better picture. The Sony does an a excellent job with 4K playback. Glad I went this route instead.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2018
    Options
    This is a shocker. The only thing I can think of is how so many people are turning to streaming rather than buying dvds, their business must really be falling off. Which means other dvd makers are probably suffering as well.

This whole thing is very strange, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, maybe one day it will come out exactly why they are shutting down. I don't believe for a minute that there is nothing more to innovate in BR players.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    Well i be a $@&#*^#^#*@*@^#^@<×&×&×7#_#&÷[×8#&#^#*;'xndhdhwiwywhwh■•♤~£~♤\€\€\》\♤~¥○€○♡\》○¡¤¿▪¿○♤~£~9~}》`
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    This is a shocker. The only thing I can think of is how so many people are turning to streaming rather than buying dvds, their business must really be falling off. Which means other dvd makers are probably suffering as well.

On second thought, considering where they originate from, this might be something totally different, but I'm not going there.

Don't their machines stream?
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Over crowded market, premium price tag, lack of name recognition, streaming...

All valid reasons to end it with current product lines. You have to assume sales have been sliding year after year as physically spinning a disc is becoming more and more rare.

I assume that products like the 203 and 205 did not sell as well as they wanted/needed them to and they decided it was time to pull the plug.

Especially with how fast technology changes, it’s too hard to keep up.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    The parent company in China is the second biggest global seller of cellphones behind only Samsung. Oppo is/was probably a tiny part of the big company's global plans and the big company is huge.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have the 105, 105D, and the 205, I have thought about letting go of one of the 105’s, think I will be keeping these now..

Sad news to say the least, they won’t be the only ones as time goes on..

I will be curious to what this does to the used market for these players..
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Tariffs maybe.

I was thinking that as well, but it seems they are closing down the entire shop in Europe as well so I'm not so sure about that anymore either.

Oh well, it's a good thing these machines are built to last for years.

Pitdogg, they had limited streaming with just a few options available, a Roku product will quickly out pace it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Oppo eliminated most of the apps in their most recent 20x series players but they kept the WiFi streaming capabilities for file formats such as MKV. The rationale was most new TV sets have built in apps for Amazon, Netflix, etc now.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Guess my next BD player won't be an Oppo. Probably go with Cambridge.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    The Cambridge players are rebadged Oppos aren't they
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    Options
    Ouch. Get a Sony.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Ouch. Get a Sony.

Sony NEVER supported DVD-A
    I believe the only manufacturer to still support it.
  • pitdogg2
    edited April 2018
    Options
    No kidding ..... the world MUST be flat
    Does it do SACD?
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Could be a good acquisition for a company that specializes in audio and home theater products!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Crappy news. Time to stock up on oppos.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    Digital is kind of like buying a computer, it is obsolete a few years after it is introduced. By the time they get enough manufacturers to start using the latest next best thing the technology is obsolete and something else takes its place. There is no way to keep up,

I have an (at the time) top of the line DVD player. But it doesn't have an HDMI connection and it won't play 1080 DVD's. It was $1500 new but you are lucky to get $200 for it now (still works great for CD's though).

Something without Bluetooth or a USB? Forget it. But I doubt we will even be using Bluetooth or a USB connection in 10 years. Something better (that your player doesn't have) will take its place.

I can't believe CD's are still around.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Maybe Oppo throwing in the towel because there's so many different ways to stream, decode and what-not and then there's the many types of interconnecting wars being waged now.

I get two magazines and I'm very confused as to what direction this audio world is going.

Maybe Oppo just said NO to a LEXA operating circuit. That was the straw.

Also, Tesla claimed Bankruptcy yesterday from their site. Today claimed it a 4/1 JOKE.

Could Oppo be doing the same?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    I think Oppo added Dolby Vision output capability in its June 2017 firmware update. They have done several subsequent firmware updates, some for further Dolby Vision compatibility and most for stability of playback.

I think the bigger concern here with firmware updates is that individual 4K UHD discs may require individual updates to be playable in the 4K format. If the remnants of Oppo's technical support staff can't keep up to date the 203 and 205 will soon become undesirable. Oppo had to make a firmware update to correct a playback error for Blade Runner 2049:

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-UDP-20x-Firmware.aspx

• pitdogg2
    Options
    No this is no joke.
    Tesla is never going to make it according to the USA Today.