Speaker Front Options

Options
This may sound like a crazy question but has anyone done something different to their speaker fronts? I mean, I'm use to my Klipsch Coppertone cones which I almost never cover with the grills. Black drivers on a black front gets kind of boring to me. I realize the drivers can't be painted but what about different finishes on the front panel. Would a thin copper veneer on the front panel cause any acoustic issues ? Silly I know but just wondering if there are any ideas out there for the Vintage Polks.
Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Hey, they're yours. Like you mentioned you're in it for the long haul
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Options
    Don't have the SDA's yet but will be working on the 7's and just haven't seen anything other than black on black vintage fronts.
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    ThomasD wrote: »
    Don't have the SDA's yet but will be working on the 7's and just haven't seen anything other than black on black vintage fronts.

Some guys here used different colored cloths for the grilles and fabric side panels. Others used different veneers, or solid wood side panels and endcaps. The possibilities are endless!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • ThomasD
    Options
    I was thinking about veneering the fronts as an option when I do the cabinets. Also wondering if the fronts of the TL tweets can be removed. I'd consider having the main plates of the SL3000's anodized. I see the screws but don't want to separate until I know they can be safely removed.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,800
    Options
    You do NOT want metal on the front bezel of your speakers or your tweeter bezel. That would present a very different sound and one I don't think you would like.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Smallies wrote: »
    If they are SDA2's I say steampunk the crap outta' them, really boring looking speakers.

Why is it you never have anything productive to offer?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You do NOT want metal on the front bezel of your speakers or your tweeter bezel. That would present a very different sound and one I don't think you would like.

My bad and my ignorance. I just opened up the SL3000's and looked at my SL1000/2000 tweets. The heft of the magnets threw me. I thought they were metallic fronts. May just consider very carefully painting them. I'm really bad at leaving things 'stock' looking, like to add a custom touch. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. By the way, F!nut, looks like I've got you on a couple subjects at the same time.
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's your lucky day, I'm in a good mood.

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Try dressing them up with some nice chrome or nickel plated cap screws, along with Hurricane Nuts. Once the woofers and PRs are cleaned properly, they're rather nice looking.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Try dressing them up with some nice chrome or nickel plated cap screws, along with Hurricane Nuts. Once the woofers and PRs are cleaned properly, they're rather nice looking.
    Actually, just ordered SS, socket head capped, Allen head drive screws w/ H-nuts from Amazon. Trying to track down the sound dampening material to get that ordered this weekend.

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Options
    Full metal baffle gives a slight increase in midrange output. Dizzy Gillespie would approve.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • ThomasD
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Full metal baffle gives a slight increase in midrange output. Dizzy Gillespie would approve.

Am I being 'ribbed' ? Or are you talking something like the JBL Monitor baffles?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    ThomasD wrote: »
    xschop wrote: »

Am I being 'ribbed' ? Or are you talking something like the JBL Monitor baffles?

Yes ribbed dude! All in good fun! Lot's of jokers, ahem, children here! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    Options
    xschop made aluminum baffles for a pair of his speakers, I don't think he's ribbing you.

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    Options
    Hmmm..... did he do a thread on it?
  • F1nut
    Options
    Of course. I still don't recommend doing it as that will create a highly reflective baffle, which is the opposite of what one wants.

President of Club Polk

• ThomasD
    Options
    I understand. I know the JBL's are designed with them. I was just wondering how they looked. B)B)