Where can I find NEW parts for Polk SDA 1.2

Need Polk vintage information from some vintage Polk Vintage experts!

I just bought a pair of Polk Audio's SDA-SRS 1.2, I was wondering where I could buy 2 new 12" passive radiators for these speakers.

Also, I see where I can upgrade to the SL3000 series tweeters. Does anyone know if this is an official Polk tweeter? Looks like it. I just hesitate on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/162248956136

Thanks ahead of time!

Travis

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Welcome to Club Polk and congrats on your new ownership of the SDA's.

First off, you will need 15" Passive Radiators, which are mostly impossible to find as they are not offered new from Polk Audio. You need to do a "Saved Search" on eBay, just in case a couple might show up for sale. Depending on what kind of damage the PR's suffer, they may possibly be repaired. If all else fails, you might try to pick up a "rough" pair of SRS 2's, as in cheap, and utilize the PR's from them.

The good news is that you can buy replacement Tweeters (RDO-198) directly from Polk. Tell them you are a Club Polk member and receive a little discount, the cost will be less than the eBay add.

Good Luck!
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    If your 1.2s are not TLs, you will need RDO-194 tweeters for "drop-in" replacement of the tweeters.

If your 1.2s are 1.2tls, then the tweeter on Ebay, an RDO-198, is a "drop-in" replacement.

If they are 1.2s, then you should consider doing the full upgrade to 1.2tl, which requires crossover mods that you may be able to do yourself. If you can't there are a couple of guys on the Forum who can do a great job for you at reasonable prices.

Welcome to the Forum -- and to the Rabbit Hole.

PS: You might want to hang on to your wallet.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• 250GTLusso
    250GTLusso Posts: 163
    @chatra , can you post a picture of the damaged PRs? You'd be surprised at what this group can restore. Give us a shot at it. I'd hate to see a restorable 15" PR go to the junk pile, as they are unobtainable.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • Mike Reeter
    If your 1.2s are not TLs, you will need RDO-194 tweeters for "drop-in" replacement of the tweeters.

If your 1.2s are 1.2tls, then the tweeter on Ebay, an RDO-198, is a "drop-in" replacement.

If they are 1.2s, then you should consider doing the full upgrade to 1.2tl, which requires crossover mods that you may be able to do yourself. If you can't there are a couple of guys on the Forum who can do a great job for you at reasonable prices.

Welcome to the Forum -- and to the Rabbit Hole.

PS: You might want to hang on to your wallet.

Yes, if Stock 1.2’s, the RDO-194 is the correct tweet. My bad! You can buy them directly from Polk as well.

• Randnich
    Randnich Posts: 13
    Love this site. Been away a while, finally going to rebuild my 1.2tl's and needed 6 tweeters, didnt even have to ask thanks to this thread. Just wanted to leave a thank you!
  • Just got my hands on a pair of SDA's. I do not know their history, speaker plate says 1 is a 1.2 the other is a 1.2TL. I'm amazed at how they sound. Top of 1.2 is damaged.8p0lqbksjzwu.jpg
    What would be the best way to replace the top?
    If I upgrade the 1.2 to TL, would the other TL need refreshed?

Looking forward to this journey.
    Thank you
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    If that is a pic of the one labeled 1.2 it is probably a tl also.It has the sl3000 tweeter in it.Start you a new thread with more pics and we can help you spend your money on upgrades. :)
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • Mike Reeter
    Archiedog wrote: »
    Just got my hands on a pair of SDA's. I do not know their history, speaker plate says 1 is a 1.2 the other is a 1.2TL. I'm amazed at how they sound. Top of 1.2 is damaged.8p0lqbksjzwu.jpg
    What would be the best way to replace the top?
    If I upgrade the 1.2 to TL, would the other TL need refreshed?

Looking forward to this journey.
    Thank you

Remove the 2 top Mid-Drivers from the cabinet ( make a note of the wiring) and then reach up into the top of the cabinet. You will find 4 taps that fasten the Tops to the cabinet. I think the taps (nuts) are either a 3/8 or 7/16.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Several ways to go here. A lot of Polkies replace em. If that is the only damage, that's a pretty easy re-veneer job. If you have tools, you can cut a replacement MDF board to size. Some folks use real wood replacements, especially if you go for all 4 endcaps.

Use contact cement to attach the veneer.

Veneer is pretty easy to cut/sand since it's so thin. Stain/finish to match.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    What was the out come in the end,,,,replaced or repaired?
    chatra wrote: »
    Need Polk vintage information from some vintage Polk Vintage experts!

I just bought a pair of Polk Audio's SDA-SRS 1.2, I was wondering where I could buy 2 new 12" passive radiators for these speakers.

Also, I see where I can upgrade to the SL3000 series tweeters. Does anyone know if this is an official Polk tweeter? Looks like it. I just hesitate on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/162248956136

Thanks ahead of time!

Travis

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited August 2020
    1.2 srs or srs or just 1.2 none take a 12" radiator. If fact I've never seen more than 1-15" passive ever sold on ebay. I've had a search set up to message me if any show up.... Still waiting 6yrs later