Karma - Monoprice Fabulousness!

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,226
    That's a POS toy. Save up and buy a Decware instead FFS.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    This thread seems like such a good place to mention that Monoprice is apparently slapping their moniker on some other Chinese amplifier that is really, truly a vacuum tube amplifier.

Got Dayens?
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,804

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,226
    Clipdat wrote: »
    This thread seems like such a good place to mention that Monoprice is apparently slapping their moniker on some other Chinese amplifier that is really, truly a vacuum tube amplifier.

Just what do you know about Decware?
  • verbverb Posts: 2,732

I like Rachael :smile:
    gj9ebxmeaszv.png
    Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,524
    Doc has forgotten more about tube amps than most of us have ever known. I will go with his opinion on an item every day and twice on Sunday.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,392
    The Decware stuff is OK. It used to be high-value, but most of Deckert's stuff has gotten expensive.

I wouldn't waste time with that Monoprice thing, but it seemed interesting in the context of the legendarily dreadful hybrid thing (which has a long, long history under various brand names in different countries) -- with no offense meant to the original karmic grantor (as it was a very nice thing to do).

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/a-brand-new-tube-amp-for-under-100-nahhh.277066/
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    That little fire starter is like a, well, bad penny, you never know! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    I only know what I've read on their website, and that @mhardy6647 has recommended them to me in the past.

Why are you so combative?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Got Dayens?
    Update on the ongoing Monoprice saga!

Today, after a long battle (at least a dozen e-mails) with Monoprice, they finally relented and decided to accept my return of the brand new amp that was Karma'd to @clipdat :smile:

Technically, this is the 4th amp. The first 3, well, are documented in this thread. :smile:

I'm happy that this saga didn't end in a puff of smoke. Happy Karma Drew! As soon as the new one arrives, I'll ship it out to you!

As before, have the fire extinguisher close by! :smile:
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,197
    A leading tech blogs reports:
    "Monoprice lands in Chapter 7; doors closing end of May."
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,588
    edited May 23
    FOR REAL????

I've been getting all kinds of emails and POP UP ADS on their subs and amps and stands and sales. And the sale items aren't clearance priced either. They just came out with those Monolith Amps to very good reviews too. Not GREAT but OK for the money I've read. The subs got OK reviews too.

What gives?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    I'm overrun with gear right now in my tiny apartment, much to my wife's annoyance. I've got no room for any more. Seriously, I'm on thin ice here.

Once the replacement arrives, you should run another Karma thread for it. I've had my "fun".
    verb wrote: »
    Update on the ongoing Monoprice saga!

Today, after a long battle (at least a dozen e-mails) with Monoprice, they finally relented and decided to accept my return of the brand new amp that was Karma'd to @clipdat :smile:

Technically, this is the 4th amp. The first 3, well, are documented in this thread. :smile:

I'm happy that this saga didn't end in a puff of smoke. Happy Karma Drew! As soon as the new one arrives, I'll ship it out to you!

As before, have the fire extinguisher close by! :smile:

Got Dayens?
    I only know what I've read on their website, and that @mhardy6647 has recommended them to me in the past.

Why are you so combative?

Not combative you'll know when i am.
    Decware is local to me I've seen and talked to the guy. It was a legit question that is all.
    I'll roll with Doc in this. It's OK nothing I'd pay those kind of prices for.
    Sorry, I thought you meant it dismissive like "What do YOU know about THEM?". My mistake.

So you think their stuff is priced a little steep? I figured it was priced according to the quality and labor it takes to put them together. Just seems that made in USA stuff is getting pricier every day.
    Not combative you'll know when i am.
    Decware is local to me I've seen and talked to the guy. It was a legit question that is all.
    I'll roll with Doc in this. It's OK nothing I'd pay those kind of prices for.

Got Dayens?
    So -- and I can't believe I am typing this -- if no one else wants to investigate this interesting little product... I'd love to get a look at/listen to one. For strictly academic purposes, of course. :)

I do not want it to dwell here permanently -- I have been the recipient of too much, too gracious Karma from Polk forum denizens over the years. But, in all seriousness, I'd enjoy giving one of these weird little amplifiers the once-over were the opportunity to present itself.

I would then be happy to send it along to someone (anyone!) else, anywhere in the continental US. Heck, Alaska and Hawaii would be OK, too -- although I probably would draw the line at, say Guam, American Samoa, etc.

"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    msg wrote: »
    A leading tech blogs reports:
    "Monoprice lands in Chapter 7; doors closing end of May."

I am guessing (?!?) this was a little joke on the cosmic irony of @verb's experience with the Amplifier from Heck ;)

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,405
    Monoprice closing their doors? The world is much safer now.
    Are they actually closing? I would find that almost hard to believe. Almost.
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    That’s really too bad. Despite my horrible customer service. Seems like they may have grown too fast.

@msg I couldn’t find anything on the bankruptcy. Any more details?
  • John MegadethJohn Megadeth Posts: 1,900
    I've searched online, including on Monoprice's media page, and there's no mention of any bankruptcy.
    fake news
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,197
    edited May 24
    lol, holy crap, yeah guys, that was a joke!
    All Verb's returns? Costing them money?!?

Note to self: Exercise discretion with use of deadpan delivery.
    You had me thinking... >:)

got's to be careful Scott! the sheep get antsy:)
    edited May 24
    I didn't want to lose my HDMI cable and speaker wire source. :#

You got me dude! :smile:
  • MarflyMarfly Posts: 59
    edited May 25
    B)
    Update - The new replacement arrived today! This makes amp number 4!

So, to honor @clipdat, the original winner of amp #3, per his recommendation, he has decided to Karma this BNIB beauty! Thanks Drew!

I won't even bother to open up the box! Still sealed! :smile:

As before, if you're interested, pick a number between 1-100. Random number generator will determine the winner Saturday night! No Russian intervention guaranteed! :smile:

For @Viking64, and others, no numbers greater than 100, or less than 1 allowed, no fractional numbers, mathematical constants (such as pi), irrational, or imaginary numbers will be permitted! :smile:

Happy Karma - Once again! :smile:

p8t4c913ui0h.png

Optional accessory:
    wbb5bhphklva.png
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,804
    w7mb52cydlsy.jpg
    Viking64 wrote: »
    w7mb52cydlsy.jpg

Jimmy is in with 64! :smile: