Karma - Monoprice Fabulousness!

Comments

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,272
    How about "Mongoprice"? :p

79wtoynumfw7.jpg
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,003
    well, still not much clarity vis-a-vis the 6N1. Kevin Kennedy, who's something of a Russky-tube-o-phile (and a talented designer & builder) said it's just a lower-quality Chinese variant of the 6N1P. The 6N1P itself essentially is a 6922, although it requires twice the heater current.

For fun, I dissected one of those goofy tube cages on the "Monoprice" amp, extricated a 6N1 (labeled on the tube as "6N1-J") and tested it as a 6DJ8 (6922). Both sections tested good.

Doesn't really prove anything, especially since I used an emissions-type tester... but the result is at least not inconsistent with the notion that it's essentially a 6922 workalike

FWIW: Datasheet for the 6N1 (in Chinese, but not the numbers, units, or curves) at:
    https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/095/6/6N1.pdf

• BMF35BMF35 Posts: 43
    DaveHo wrote: »
    BMF35 wrote: »

Really, Mr. 1 post. Better luck next time.

I must have missed the requirement that only members with more than 1 post could participate. Sorry about that Mr. Ho.
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,270
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I wonder if I can figure out how to do something with the Bluetooth on it? I am pretty... shall we say... low tech. ...or is it old school?
    Doc, when I was first getting set up, I picked up a couple of those Bluetooth receivers. Most seem to offer optical and 3.5mm/RCA out. They worked pretty well for the connectivity, and sounded pretty good for streaming music from a smartphone or tablet, so if you're just looking to play de myooziks and not necessarily critical listening, might be worth a shot. I used the Iogear TuneTap, but Oligoprice(s) probably has something less commit-ty. Also might offer the extra spark you need to get this fire started, since Johnny 4 seems to have fizzled (or is a sleeper).
    Viking64 wrote: »
    How about "Mongoprice"?
    Sole employee leisurely travels around the country punching out those horses that lost in the Derby.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,128
    DaveHo wrote: »

Really, Mr. 1 post. Better luck next time.

I must have missed the requirement that only members with more than 1 post could participate. Sorry about that Mr. Ho.

That was a requirement, but the real issue was that the karma had already been over for a while, and the amp was being shipped out. You were late to the party.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner and phono.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    edited June 14
    So -- according to the aforementioned Kevin Kennedy, the 6p15 power pentode is equivalent to the 'western' EL86/6CW5.

As an aside: the Russian power pentodes just confuse me. It appears that the "Svetlana" branded "SV83" of the 1990s (and used in Steve Deckert's SE-84 "Zen" amplifier) was a relabled 6p15-ev :p The "ev" postscript refers, I believe, to ruggedized, "military-grade" variants of a tube type.

At any rate -- I looked up the 6CW5 and it's a cool tube. It was a fairly late vacuum tube development for series-string TVs but also for hifi. It is EL84-esque, but rated for lower plate voltage. It requires a gob of filament current, too (0.76 A @ 6.3 VAC). NOS 6CW5s are cheap!

datasheet: http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/sheets/093/6/6CW5.pdf
    http://tubelab.com/designs/tubelab-spp/applications/

Haha, nevermind this, Doc, I didn't realize that unit already has Bluetooth, dehr. Thought it was just a standard tube integrated.
    msg wrote: »
    I wonder if I can figure out how to do something with the Bluetooth on it?
    Doc, when I was first getting set up, I picked up a couple of those Bluetooth receivers
    There is nothing standard about this little beastie ;)

So -- today I gritted my teeth and hooked it up to the Frankenaltecs.

With really simple, really well recorded music -- it's not bad. A little bright, and without the depth of SE 2A3 on these loudspeakers -- but not bad.

As soon as the music got a little complicated, it started to get two-dimensional and hard/glassy sounding. And very bright.

Now, in fairness, the Frankenaltecs are adjusted for the "Simple 2A3" amp's behavior - - and that amp is doubtless rolled off in the treble... but the pairing of the Monoprice and the Frankenaltecs really isn't a propitious one. It wasn't awful, or even embarrassing -- but it wasn't compelling, either. The nominal 16 ohm load the Frankenaltecs presents might have played a role, too.

I will try some other decent quality speakers on the MP amp anon -- meanwhile, I'm
    listening to Patty Larkin's 25 on the Frankenaltecs via SE 2A3 and lovin' what I hear.

42804946501_83768e04cb_b.jpgDSC_1501 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

40994464340_3cdd728ccc_b.jpgDSC_1506 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Is the SE 2A3 your flea power tube amp?
    edited June 14
    Well, semi-fleapower @ 3.5 watts per channel. Good for loudspeakers with ca. 100 dB per watt at 1 meter sensitivity.

The flea-power-diest amp here would be the Decware Zen SE-84B, which runs EL84 or 6p15-ev ("SV83") output tubes in triode mode for about, maybe :p 1.5 watts per channel or so. Nice sounding amplifier, but it could get congested playing little girl with guitar music on the Cornwalls at what I'd consider moderate volume in a moderate sized room (our MA living room).
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,833
    Boy hockey pucks sure come handy ;)
    I am a big fan.
    I bought myself a box of 'em last winter on Amazon.
    I didn't know you could get em on Amazon. I bought a few bags of 'em at Dicks a while back. They do come in handy. I use those and also those EVA anti-vibe pads from SupplyHouse. Also great for elevating the rear of a notebook for better cooling.

More handy stuff - a roll of Sorbothane, various 3M sticky feet and bumpons, neoprene foam roll, and high density monitor isolation pads (I like the Sound Addicted ones for value/performance/quality; one of my favorite mods for desktop computer system)
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,718
    edited June 15
    Duh! It's not broken in yet! Give it another 50-100 hours and it'll improve! :wink:
    With really simple, really well recorded music -- it's not bad. A little bright, and without the depth of SE 2A3 on these loudspeakers -- but not bad.

As soon as the music got a little complicated, it started to get two-dimensional and hard/glassy sounding. And very bright.

Got Dayens?
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 1,966
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Duh! It's not broken in yet! Give it another 50-100 hours and it'll improve! :wink:

If it lasts that long. :/
  • robertwhoustonrobertwhouston Registered User Posts: 7
    I'll take 71.
  • verbverb Posts: 3,327
    I'll take 71.

Sorry @robertwhouston if you're referring to the Karma giveaway, that is long over. Stick around as Karma here is abound! And welcome! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    edited June 20
    Lol @verb beat me to it.
    Post edited by Clipdat on
    Got Dayens?
    verb wrote: »
    Sorry robertwhouston if you're referring to the Karma giveaway, that is long over. Stick around as Karma here is abound! And welcome! :smile:
    Since it isn't taken anymore, in with 71!
    It's my pant size as well, coincidentally.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,272
    I'll take 71 too.
    We haven't heard from him for a while about the amp, I'm guessing that can only mean he's absorbed in pure aural bliss. Completely overcome with emotion and re-listening to all of his favorite songs!
    Got Dayens?
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,761
    ….OR...he, his house and everything else is in a pile of burnt ash about now. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1430 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
    ISS flyover by long exposure(s) -- with a wide angle lens :)

26369084961_cfbe39df55_b.jpg069 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

20368041219_183cffa1b2_b.jpg022 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,128

Oh my goodness, Doc, Duck!! She be comin’ down fast, and bringing the black hole with her! :tongue:

I remember as a little kid, we saw this ISS through a telescope. It was really REALLY cool, because we could the outline of it in the sky (through the telescope, of course), and instantly we knew what we were looking at.
    Micah
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner and phono.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    Here's a rehab blog post on these amps that I don't think I'd seen before.
    http://projectrepair.blogspot.com/2013/08/project-mistral-mm-1-hybrid-tube.html

:p

Why am I still looking at/for such things?

I am trying to figure out...

1) has anyone determined that the current Monoprice morph of this amp (these amps? maybe the 50 watter too?) actually still does supply too much heater voltage to the tubes?

2) If the heater voltage is OK, has anyone tried 6922 tubes in lieu of the 6N1/6N1-J/6N1P dual triodes in one?

I guess I am gonna have to get up off my -- well, you know -- and get the DMM out & measure the frickin' filament voltage(s)!

:|

I am so farking lazy...
  • verbverb Posts: 3,327
    Here's a rehab blog post on these amps that I don't think I'd seen before.
    http://projectrepair.blogspot.com/2013/08/project-mistral-mm-1-hybrid-tube.html

:p

Why am I still looking at/for such things?

I am trying to figure out...

1) has anyone determined that the current Monoprice morph of this amp (these amps? maybe the 50 watter too?) actually still does supply too much heater voltage to the tubes?

2) If the heater voltage is OK, has anyone tried 6922 tubes in lieu of the 6N1/6N1-J/6N1P dual triodes in one?

I guess I am gonna have to get up off my -- well, you know -- and get the DMM out & measure the frickin' filament voltage(s)!

:|

I am so farking lazy...

No Professor you have too many projects! At least that's my excuse :) Interesting read, are you planning to go down the same road if the filament voltages are high? Keep us posted!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer