Karma - Monoprice Fabulousness!

Comments

• ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,145
    Talking Heads. Burning down the house...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,065
    7eo5tzvzehhx.png
    cpzc2ykcvv7o.png
    6lzhzfqvw9pu.png
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,902
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,850
    edited June 12
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    The Monoprice hybrid amplifier is unboxed, hooked up and will go online presently.

Anyone care to guess the first song that I shall play through it?
    (there are of course many apt choices given the backstory -- but one rose to the top for me very quickly).

Burning down the house? Ken beat me to it, first one that came to mind. Speaking of talking heads @mhardy6647 :D :D
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,725
    How does it smell?
    Got Dayens?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The Monoprice hybrid amplifier is unboxed, hooked up and will go online presently.

Anyone care to guess the first song that I shall play through it?
    (there are of course many apt choices given the backstory -- but one rose to the top for me very quickly).

Burning down the house? Ken beat me to it, first one that came to mind. Speaking of talking heads @mhardy6647 :D :D

Ding, Ding, Ding! :)

I guess I need to send you something now -- what do you "need" that I might have extras of? :)

Carousel CD player?

• Tony MTony M Posts: 6,094
    edited June 12
    I was thinking this one would be it;
    The Ohio Players "FIRE". :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    uwa220kb8k6y.jpg

f2fte8a1oad8.jpg

pjty7p5ibg0a.jpg

Are those the Dayton bookies?
    Got Dayens?
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,783
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Are those the Dayton bookies?

Yup!

So... What's the initial verdict?
    edited June 12
    Comments:
    • This one seems to be working flawlessly out of the box. What's this, number four?
    • The general heft, fit and finish isn't bad at all for a ninety-nine dollar product.
    • The amber illumination (pilot light and meter light) is both apt and kind of scary at the same time.
    • Whatever is being done with them -- the tubes are run hard enough that the EL84s umm, 6P15s get pretty hot. Not EICO HF81 EL84 hot, but too hot to touch. The small signal tubes (6N1, whatever that is) run cool.
    • The amp does have an interesting bouquet. Slightly stale, musty, resinous and chemical, all rolled into one. It smells exactly like my grandparents' house in Glen Burnie, MD did -- ca. 1965. My grandfather was a dedicated smoker of very cheap cigars (El Productos -- my father called 'em "El Ropos") and the house bore mute testimony to it for many, many years.
    • The cassoulette :) of the amp isn't objectionable at all. I cannot smell it except right up by the tubes -- and my nose is pretty sensitive.
    • No flammulation, no funny noises, microphonics, etc.
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,145
    Run Forrest run!!
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    edited June 12
    I cannot tell with certainty from teh interwebs, but it seems like a 6922 might be close enough to whatever a 6N1 is to drop in. It would be nice to see some consensus on the point :p but I might just have to chuck a coupla cannon fodder 6922s in there and see what happens...

not tonight though.

Having played (no kidding) a bunch of Talking Heads 'greatest hits', I've moved on to the Wailin Jennys. They're Wailin' nicely enough.

I might work up the nerve to try the amp on some real loudspeakers... again, not tonight.

:|
    Careful with your nicer speakers, look out for those turn on/off transients.
    Got Dayens?
    I cannot tell with certainty from teh interwebs, but it seems like a 6922 might be close enough to whatever a 6N1 is to drop in. It would be nice to see some consensus on the point :p but I might just have to chuck a coupla cannon fodder 6922s in there and see what happens...

Yes Doc but there are some differences

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/6N1P
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,863
    To reiterate...
    My amp is not in your house?
    lightman1 wrote: »
    To reiterate...

No it is holding up the lawn tractors axle off the ground.... outside

Yes Doc but there are some differences

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/6N1P

Yeah, the 6N1P I am very familiar with -- it's not completely clear to me that the Chinese 6N1 is "identical" to the Soviet/Russian 6N1P, though.
    edited June 13
    To reiterate...

That is correct :)
    It is in an undisclosed location -- Dick Cheney may be groovin' to some tunes on it, I suppose.

;)
    To reiterate...

No it is holding up the lawn tractors axle off the ground.... outside

Naaah -- that's what the MC-2100 is for.

Actually, that's a joke. The MC-2100 makes a much better doorstop.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,768
    Judging by the extreme glow of that thing, I'd say....the wick is lit. Delayed fuse maybe ? Kinda like when we were kids and made that wick on the M-80's/quarter sticks long enough to buy us some time to get the heck out of the way.

What's the warranty on this thing....36 hours ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1430 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • verbverb Posts: 3,352
    I’m happy so far so good. Perhaps number 4 is the charm! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    edited June 13
    verb wrote: »
    I’m happy so far so good. Perhaps number 4 is the charm! :smile:

That's what I am thinking.

In fact, early results suggest that this gizmo, as is, represents a great 99-dolla desktop/nearfield amplifier, except:
    1. It's rather large compared to most other such devices.
    2. It generates a fairly large amount of heat - mostly from those EL84s - relative to most other such devices.

I wonder if I can figure out how to do something with the Bluetooth on it? I am pretty... shall we say... low tech. ...or is it old school?

edited June 13
    It's actually $120 plus shipping. Not sure where this $99 figure is coming from.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13194
    Got Dayens?
    It was $99 at least at one point -- and the same amp with other brand names is or was available for $99, last time I looked.

If the OP paid more than $99 for it, I do apologize! :blush:
    As a postscript -- I will give this amp a serious audition at some point in the not too distant future.

If we really do get rain later today (it's in the forecast), maybe even tonight! :)
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,290
    $139.99, $120, $119.99, $99? Why does something from MONOPRICE have so many prices? :p
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,144
    Viking64 wrote: »
    $139.99, $120, $119.99, $99? Why does something from MONOPRICE have so many prices? :p

HAHA!

So you like it for $99? What if it was $99.99? Would it still be good for the money? :wink:
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner and phono.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    Viking64 wrote: »

That's a good question.
    One of those Imponderables, I guess.

Either that, or the company should be renamed Oligoprice. Or maybe Oligoprices, to kind of maintain some consistency of pluralism.

Just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Either that, or the company should be renamed Oligoprice. Or maybe Oligoprices, to kind of maintain some consistency of pluralism.

Got Dayens?