Karma - Monoprice Fabulousness!

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,461
    Has the phoenix finally landed?
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    update -- looks like it's s'posed to be here tomorrow. Further details as events warrant.

Got Dayens?
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,623
    ...We used to sell his speakers and hosted a few "meet the designer" soirees that were educational, to say the least.
    Sorry for the thread interruption.

PS, Ken, not an unwelcome "interruption" at all; thanks for sharing perspective on Mr. Fried & his loudspeakers!

Forgot to mention that before.

Yes, @clipdat it is here -- the weather is too darned nice for hifi at the moment,
    but it will, eventually, get dark tonight -- late tonight -- and I'll unbox and have more to share.

"It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 986
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Has the phoenix finally landed?
    update -- looks like it's s'posed to be here tomorrow. Further details as events warrant.

I believe so...

Guys, we need to be ready to help Doc, so we should all probably start heading his way right about now, I can smell the smoke here in Florida...
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
    sure it has a flat response, and sure it has a lot of detail, and yes, it has good and clear lows. But is it enjoyable to listen to? Does it make you grin ear to ear? That’s what really matters.
    Seen somewhere on AudioKarma (I think)
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,040
    I hear no sirens....yet.

I'm not at all convinced Doc has given proper thought to this and self preservation techniques. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
    (interestingly -- chloroform isn't flammable... but ether is. Boy howdy, is it flammable.)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,394
    The H subwoofer was a two channel transmission kit and was known as the "coffin" woofer. It used two of the famous KEF200 woofers that had upgraded motor structures. It could actually play 16Hz with clarity and definition.
    "And the house you live in will never fall down
    If you pity the stranger who stands at your gate" G.Lightfoot
    edited June 12
    The Monoprice hybrid amplifier is unboxed, hooked up and will go online presently.

Anyone care to guess the first song that I shall play through it?
    (there are of course many apt choices given the backstory -- but one rose to the top for me very quickly).

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 2,531

"Light My Fire"

oh, that woulda been a good one!

Viking64 wrote: »

... as would those. :|

• ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,934
    Talking Heads. Burning down the house...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    7eo5tzvzehhx.png
    cpzc2ykcvv7o.png
    6lzhzfqvw9pu.png

• txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,602
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 9,804
    edited June 12
    The Monoprice hybrid amplifier is unboxed, hooked up and will go online presently.

(there are of course many apt choices given the backstory -- but one rose to the top for me very quickly).

Burning down the house? Ken beat me to it, first one that came to mind. Speaking of talking heads @mhardy6647 :D :D
    How does it smell?
    Got Dayens?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Burning down the house? Ken beat me to it, first one that came to mind. Speaking of talking heads @mhardy6647 :D :D

Ding, Ding, Ding! :)

I guess I need to send you something now -- what do you "need" that I might have extras of? :)

Carousel CD player?

• Tony MTony M Posts: 5,353
    edited June 12
    I was thinking this one would be it;
    The Ohio Players "FIRE". :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    uwa220kb8k6y.jpg

f2fte8a1oad8.jpg

pjty7p5ibg0a.jpg

Are those the Dayton bookies?
    Got Dayens?
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,317
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Are those the Dayton bookies?

Yup!

So... What's the initial verdict?
    edited June 12
    Comments:
    • This one seems to be working flawlessly out of the box. What's this, number four?
    • The general heft, fit and finish isn't bad at all for a ninety-nine dollar product.
    • The amber illumination (pilot light and meter light) is both apt and kind of scary at the same time.
    • Whatever is being done with them -- the tubes are run hard enough that the EL84s umm, 6P15s get pretty hot. Not EICO HF81 EL84 hot, but too hot to touch. The small signal tubes (6N1, whatever that is) run cool.
    • The amp does have an interesting bouquet. Slightly stale, musty, resinous and chemical, all rolled into one. It smells exactly like my grandparents' house in Glen Burnie, MD did -- ca. 1965. My grandfather was a dedicated smoker of very cheap cigars (El Productos -- my father called 'em "El Ropos") and the house bore mute testimony to it for many, many years.
    • The cassoulette :) of the amp isn't objectionable at all. I cannot smell it except right up by the tubes -- and my nose is pretty sensitive.
    • No flammulation, no funny noises, microphonics, etc.

• ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,934
    Run Forrest run!!
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    edited June 12
    I cannot tell with certainty from teh interwebs, but it seems like a 6922 might be close enough to whatever a 6N1 is to drop in. It would be nice to see some consensus on the point :p but I might just have to chuck a coupla cannon fodder 6922s in there and see what happens...

not tonight though.

Having played (no kidding) a bunch of Talking Heads 'greatest hits', I've moved on to the Wailin Jennys. They're Wailin' nicely enough.

I might work up the nerve to try the amp on some real loudspeakers... again, not tonight.

:|

Careful with your nicer speakers, look out for those turn on/off transients.
    Got Dayens?
    I cannot tell with certainty from teh interwebs, but it seems like a 6922 might be close enough to whatever a 6N1 is to drop in. It would be nice to see some consensus on the point :p but I might just have to chuck a coupla cannon fodder 6922s in there and see what happens...

Yes Doc but there are some differences

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/6N1P
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,441
    To reiterate...
    My amp is not in your house?
    lightman1 wrote: »
    To reiterate...
    My amp is not in your house?

No it is holding up the lawn tractors axle off the ground.... outside
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yes Doc but there are some differences

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/6N1P

Yeah, the 6N1P I am very familiar with -- it's not completely clear to me that the Chinese 6N1 is "identical" to the Soviet/Russian 6N1P, though.