Do they have April Fools Day in Japan?

I mean, if they do, and with the International Date Line and all -- that might explain this announcement from Toshiba/Aurex.

http://www.the-japan-news.com/news/article/0004328156

xdu07x114uv9.png

thoughts?

:)

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Japan is compact living lifestyle ...that being said

I'm not falling for it :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I'm in a time warp.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I mean -- there was a Digital Compact Cassette (DCC) format in the 1990s. It didn't quite catch on, even though it was kind of clever. The players could play and record the DCCs but could also play back plain vanilla analog cassettes.

cklsvqy3crdi.png
    source: www.radio-shackcatalogs.com (1995)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Apparently they don't have makeup in Japan. :#
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I'd take a new tape deck...got some cassettes that could use something to play them in.

The nostalgia for cassette tapes is strong with me too, I'm afraid of what I would hear and end up disappointed though.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I almost gave away a box of 200 cassettes but I couldn't find them...Thank God. :D

Seriously. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Viking64
    edited March 2018
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Apparently they don't have makeup in Japan. :#

I'm sure she's looking at a picture of you right now going "Apparently they don't have gyms in America."
    Awwww, good for you. You scored points. :p
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • mhardy6647
    There're a hodgepodge of cassettes in the basement.
    I am not particularly proud to admit that.
    I don't think that most of them could be described as high-res in any sense of the term.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited March 2018
    I have a single cassette, which was my dads when he was my age. I also have a Scott dual cassette deck, which works. I can say definitively, that I will not be buying one.
    Edit: Wait, I have a dual cassette deck, and one cassette, which means... I have more cassette players thancassettes lol.
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I don't think that most of them could be described as high-res in any sense of the term.
    Do you have anything fast and loud that I could listen to tonight when I work out at the gym? :p
  • Viking64
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I have a single cassette, which was my dads when he was my age. I also have a Scott dual cassette deck, which works. I can say definitively, that I will not be buying one.
    Edit: Wait, I have a dual cassette deck, and one cassette, which means... I have more cassette players thancassettes lol.

I had at least 20 CDs before I ever got a CD player. :p
  • mhardy6647
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Edit: Wait, I have a dual cassette deck, and one cassette, which means... I have more cassette players than cassettes lol.

You need to do something about that.
  • mhardy6647
    Viking64 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Do you have anything fast and loud that I could listen to tonight when I work out at the gym? :p

careful what you wish for...
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I'm confused. :|

If I record an LP to a cassette am I not at rhe highest resolution possible?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    machone wrote: »

I think that it is not the recording that is the issue, but cassettes are just generally very noisy and just overall don’t sound as good as other sources.
  • mhardy6647
    machone wrote: »

Only if you use a speaker and a microphone.

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
  • Tony M
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Love it!

I'd like a poster made of that cartoon!. :pB)
  • mhardy6647
    Full disclosure -- I think I originally saw the "stat" cartoon posted here at the Polk forums :)
  • mhardy6647
    Next thing you know, they'll bring back the 8 track -- but how hard is it gonna be to find an old-school matchbook to fold up and shove in under the tape to fine-trim the head playback alignment? ;)

uq1p1wxrel3u.png
  • Tony M
    l5otizr5teme.png
  • Tony M
    edited March 2018
    7z3pat2d6yt6.png
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Never found a #2 pencil to work remotely ok on a cassette. This was my weapon of choice, you could twirl the cassette like a noise maker...lol.

kfRPTl0.jpg[\IMG]
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Man i was after one of those for the longest time.... Like the mini disc player/recorder short timers for both.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    DAT was cool -- but it wasn't cassette-compatible. The DCC standard was.
    Record digital "cassettes", but you could still play back the good ol' analog kind, too -- in one, overpriced package! :)

(and for better or for worse) :p

as to the pencil/pen debate -- I seem to recall the cap of the 19-cent BIC stick pen to be the tool of choice. That said, I'll admit that my recall of those halcyon days is somewhat hazy...

;)
  • mhardy6647
    Tony M wrote: »
    7z3pat2d6yt6.png

I was gonna complain about all of these off-topic posts, then I went back and looked at the thread title and realized that I didn't have a leg to stand on.

;)
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine