SDA1C vs. SRS2 Smackdown!

Options
verb
verb Posts: 10,176
Another possible journey -

Plenty of older threads out there on this visited topic, but wanted to get some more recent opinions and perhaps recent evaluations.

My conundrum - I have a chance to snag some minty SDA SRS2's :sweat_smile:

I currently have 2 pairs of 1C's (I'll never catch up to you @la2vegas !) Karma'd a set of 2B's recently.

My first 1C was an early blade/blade version, which is in the middle of a complete upgrade, thanks to many of you who guided me through this process. Yes I need to get motivated to get these babies completed. This spring for sure. More to come on that.

The other, a minty pin/blade set with the RDO-194 tweeter replacement, and looks to be mortite sealed around the drivers. I haven't yet opened up the hood to see what's inside, but the seller did not admit to any other mods.

My questions to fellow Polkie's out there, how do they compare?

1C's with tweeter upgrade and mortite?
1C's fully modded courtesy of @westmassguy for the XO's

vs. stock SRS2's? pin/blade

If I do get the SRS2's, my plan would be to eventually upgrade those completely as well, but will be yet another thread :smile:

For reference: From VR3 Mods sticky thread:
bjimyywt684f.png

Sorry @Tony M for the fluid-coupled reference! :smile:

The bass response and efficiency sticks out the most for me, but please share your thoughts.

Polkies please opine! Thanks in advance!
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Both are fantastic speakers. Snag the SRS2 and compare in your room.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited March 2018
    Options
    No problem on the fluid coupling. :) I saw that Polk used it again for one of their newer subwoofer's statistic. So Polk still uses the term. I didn't know that. I thought it was a one and done sales thing. :|

Watching the weather forcast tonight, the wind flow direction forcast looked like rivers flowing. It freaked me out that I was looking at wind flow as river flow. I will forever think of air as fluid moisture from now on since that thread.LOL. Seriously. ;)B)

The SDA1c's sound came from the speakers. My SRS2's sound came from the wall in front and from up high. Also the SRS2's sound came from the sides of the room a lot and sometimes from behind me. SERIOUSLY.

Edgar Winters "Frankenstien" will go through you and behind you listening with the SRS2's.
    https://youtu.be/65XSHM3jlAY

The bass sounds RIGHT and TIGHT.

Talk about volume. I think these SRS2's can damage ears if you have the amp behind them, but really, they get plenty loud with a regular amp but I wouldn't play them loud for an extended time with a cheap amp or a Integra M504 or M502. I think my SRS2's put a hurtin on those two amps.

My NAD C370 has been their power source for years now with NO problems yet.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    You already karma'd the best speakers of that lot! :'(
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • verb
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    The SDA1c's sound came from the speakers. My SRS2's sound came from the wall in front and from up high. Also the SRS2's sound came from the side of the room and sometimes from behind me. SERIOUSLY.

The bass sounds RIGHT and TIGHT.

Talk about volume. I think these SRS2's can damage ears if you have the amp behind them, but really, they get plenty loud with a regular amp but I wouldn't play them loud for an extended time with a cheap amp or a Integra M504 or M502. I think my SRS2's put a hurtin on those two amps.

My NAD C370 has been their power source for years now with NO problems yet.

I'll be pushing them with my CJ M2300A. Should have plenty of muscle. Getting excited here! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

I have to agree.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Options

Yeah and I just did the tweeter replacement on those. My buddy was truly amazed.
  • Tony M
    Options
    I like those AMP reviews I just read!

I own a set of Newform Research R645's and they too are hard to drive. This reviewer below said your amp is powerful enough to drive these with ease. So I think the SRS2's would be about the same challenge. Or as he/she said, NO challenge.

Louis Audio Enthusiast [Dec 28, 2000]
    Strength:
    Everything.
    Weakness:
    It could get rather hot. No balanced input.
    It is a real steal to have such a great performing amp at this price. If you found an used unit (which is very very rare to come by as most owners keep them), go grab it.

It drives my Newform Research R645 hybrid-ribbin speakers effortless. Demanding passages in many classical music CDs that I played are handled superbly.
  • Tony M
    edited March 2018
    Options

I have a pr. of SDA-2 something with 3 mid-woofers and 2 tweeters.

Where do these fall in the SDA-2 camp? Are the 2 mid-woofers and one tweeter a better version?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,574
    Options

I have a pr. of SDA-2 something with 3 mid-woofers.

Where do these fall in the SDA-2 camp? Are the 2 mid-woofers a better version?

At the bottom of the pile.....

Yes the sda2a and sda2b are better speakers.
    Imho
  • Tony M
    Options
    Are mine the SDA2c's?
  • verb
    Options
    I love you guys, but your killin me! Karma is Karma, better to give than receive! Back on point, how do the 1C’s compare to the SRS2’s?
  • Tony M
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Do you want to hear your bass or FEEL your bass? :D That is the question. 12" compared to a 15".
  • verb
    Options
    Are mine the SDA2c's?

Tony yours are either 1st or 2nd gen SDA2’s. I believe they’re the only ones that have 3 MW’s.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Thanks.
    They sounded GREAT when I heard them at a friends house before I bought them.
  • verb
    Options
    Do you want to hear your bass or FEEL your bass? :D That is the question. 12" compared to a 15".
    I’m feelin a set of SRS2’s might be coming my way! Thanks Tony! :smile:
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    I concur on the SRS as well. The spacing between the mid-bass drivers is different and I think this has much to do with the wider and deeper soundstage. They are also in a better cabinet that reduces unwanted resonance, and the larger passive to boot. The 1c's may be considered the sweet spot of the range, but the SRS2 is a step above.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    Options
    I concur on the SRS as well. The spacing between the mid-bass drivers is different and I think this has much to do with the wider and deeper soundstage. They are also in a better cabinet that reduces unwanted resonance, and the larger passive to boot. The 1c's may be considered the sweet spot of the range, but the SRS2 is a step above.

Thanks John. I did read about the larger MW spacing having that effect and also enhancing the SDA effect as well. Leaning closer to the SRS’s!
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    The spacing between the mid-bass drivers is different and I think this has much to do with the wider and deeper soundstage.

Has much to do with the wider and deeper soundstage, huh? I was told by someone here, way back, that the SRS2s were designed with the wider space between the mid-bass drivers to give the fat-headed listener the same awesome SDA 3D soundstage as the others in the lineup! :/

Have at it, verb, sounds like you need another project to keep you busy!
  • Tony M
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

SDA's when we're young. ;)
    SDA-SRS's when we're older. :D

Our ears do get bigger with age.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    I've heard deeper, tighter and puncher bass with a better over all balance from a pair of 2BTL's compared to the 1C's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I've heard deeper, tighter and puncher bass with a better over all balance from a pair of 2BTL's compared to the 1C's.

That's my take from what I heard between the 1C's and the 2B's I've heard. But, the 1C's were hooked up to a different receiver from the 2B's. So it's not a fair A/B test but I heard what I heard. And I heard the lower model of 2B as I learned tonight.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    The crossovers are the same (except for the sub-bass drive inductors), as is the driver compliment.
    The Tweeters are above the Woofers on the 1C like the 2A/2B. On the SRS-2 they're between them like the larger SRSs. That has to affect the overall sound.
    I've been told the SRS-2's Bass while deeper, is loose or flabby compared to the 1Cs.
    The cabinet volume and PR are larger on the SRS compared to the 1C. This may explain the crossover point of the sub-bass drive being much higher on the SRS.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • RandyCroissant
    RandyCroissant Posts: 475
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Just curious, I noticed a substantial improvement in both quality and quantity of bass when I switched to the Erse super Q sub bass inductors in my 2Bs. Might this same improvement be available to the 1Cs? Or even the SRS 2s?

Thanks to Dave on this recommendation
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Tony M
    Options
    I think whoever said the bass was loose and flabby had an air leak. Mr. Hirsch said it was the BEST BASS he had ever heard or measured from a speaker. He also said you can hear it and FEEL the bass from these designs.

I know this review by julian Hirsch is of the SDA-SRS but I would think the same bass qualities apply to the SRS2's also. I have always loved reading this review in its entirety.
    https://polksda.com/srsreview.shtml
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Just curious, I noticed a substantial improvement in both quality and quantity of bass when I switched to the Erse super Q sub bass inductors in my 2Bs. Might this same improvement be available to the 1Cs? Or even the SRS 2s?

Thanks to Dave on this recommendation

Most definitely for either model
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    So far I have not had the pleasure of hearing the SRS line of Polks, can't wait for the opportunity though.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• westmassguy
    Options
    I think whoever said the bass was loose and flabby had an air leak. Mr. Hirsch said it was the BEST BASS he had ever heard or measured from a speaker. He also said you can hear it and FEEL the bass from these designs.

I know this review by julian Hirsch is of the SDA-SRS but I would think the same bass qualities apply to the SRS2's also. I have always loved reading this review in its entirety.
    https://polksda.com/srsreview.shtml

Not doubting that. It's possible the person(s) who commented on the Bass for the SRS2s had air leaks and or poor amplification, or both.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Tony M
    Options
    So far I have not had the pleasure of hearing the SRS line of Polks, can't wait for the opportunity though.

You'll be in for a real treat. :pB)

I've only heard the SRS2's from the upper SRS line. So I can't comment on how the others sound, only speculate.

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Wow... I'm struggling with the 2Bs being better than the SRS, comments. I have the 2Bs and the 3.1s. Both are stock at the moment, but spend more time with the 3.1s than the 2Bs.
    I too find the SRS sound comes from all over the room.
    I am working with westmassguy on upgrade options at the moment, though.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    I remember when I first auditioned the SDA line back in 87'. What I remember most was how good they all sounded. The bigger the speakers the boomier the bass. My two favorites were the 2B's and the 1C's. The bass just seemed almost overpowering in the SRS line.

To each his own but I prefer the balance that the 1C 's produce (mine are updated with the super Q inductors). I did buy the 2B's though and enjoyed them for over 20 years.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus