For anyone who might be interested: Nelson Pass-designed ACA amplifier kit "back in stock" :)

124»

Comments

• stretchlstretchl Posts: 831
    edited July 5
    Anyone reckon the Pass amp would work well with a pair of 705’s? Or perhaps as monoblocks, which apparently is a build option? Thanks.
    Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 --> MIT AVT2 IC's --> Yaqin MC-10t --> MIT EXP S2 Cables --> LSiM-705's

In the Bullpen
    Adcom GFA-555ii
    Luxman R-115

Visuals
    http://StretchPhotography.com
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 15,659
    stretchl wrote: »
    Anyone reckon the Pass amp would work well with a pair of 705’s? Or perhaps as monoblocks, which apparently is a build option? Thanks.

Ehhh.... I'd pass...... the 705's need a decent amount of wattage and current, and the pass aren't built to do either of those to the scale you'd need.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,484
    The ACAs need some decently high sensitivity speakers. Otherwise, you are going to miss a LOT on the low end and things are going to sound sloppy.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,018
    Performance-wise, the original morph of the ACA isn't all that dissimilar to a single-ended 2A3 amplifier -- albeit a bit more powerful and probably wider flat response compared to any even marginally affordable 2A3 stereo amp.

So... think SET/fleapower friendly loudspeakers.

Vintage Altec, JBL or (shudder) Klipsch fills the bill nicely (e.g.).
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 259
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
  • leftwinger57leftwinger57 Posts: 2,859
    So 'Doc' I can't believe no one has asked you about this after all these years. Why didn't you paint or ,stain those speakers. They stand out like very sor thumbs and need some beautification. Being an old Yankee you must have some Marine varnish up there so throw some coats on. and counter sink those screws. Chemistry and radionics are your strong suit but not to much on the the aesthetic. Look who's the critic now ....lol
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 15,659
    He's a "form" over function kinda guy DUH!

Also with as much as he's tweaked them over the years at times (adding in super tweeters, other horns, etc) at the top of them it wouldnt make sense IMHO to finish them.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,018
    The answer is supremely simple. I could only make them look worse if I tried to finish them.
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
124»