Entry Price for a Power Cable Upgrade?

2»

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Hey Danny

I am bringing some PS Audio AC3 & 5 and 4 different power cables from Voodoo and a Audio-art I got from Marvinand 3 I got from Doug. So if you can wait 4 weeks till LSAF. you can look over what I have and take what you like home with ya B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Not that I know of, it appears to just be Shunyata's entry level cable. From what I can tell, it's just a nice 14awg cable meant for anything with an IEC inlet. I believe most generic cords are 18awg so it should be quite a bit beefier.

From the Shunyata website:

"Ideally suited for use with Blu-ray players, flat screen televisions, portable devices, power bricks and a host of other components."

Also, the specs point to it being A-OK for high current draw applications:

"CURRENT RATINGS
    – Max continuous current: 20 Amps (connector dependent)
    – Max instantaneous current: >200 Amps (800ms)"
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Isn't the Venom 14 meant for source components? I'm not that familiar with their model hierarchy.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Did you read the Shunyata technical article on DTCD at
    http://shunyata.com/technical-articles/

This is based on the Venom3, which I believe is the one I bought. Hopefully, the new Venoms are better. :)

na6gamk8nkub.jpeg

atdch0v1szws.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Hadn't seen that, but checking it out now! Thanks.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    DSkip wrote: »
    I haven't heard the 9SE, but I wasn't a huge fan of the 9 after I heard other cables.
    I've got two of the 9SE, but never heard the 9. Have both the 14 and 14SE, but I've never heard the 14XL. Did you ever use the 14XL before you became an audio snob? :smiley: I'm just messing with you!! I wish I could do a walk-through at your house!

Clipdat wrote: »
    Not that I know of, it appears to just be Shunyata's entry level cable. From what I can tell, it's just a nice 14awg cable meant for anything with an IEC inlet. I believe most generic cords are 18awg so it should be quite a bit beefier.
    Okay, I see. My AVR originally came with a cable smaller than the one on my hairdryer.

BlueFox wrote: »
    This is based on the Venom3, which I believe is the one I bought. Hopefully, the new Venoms are better. :)
    Is it the Venom HC that replaced the Venom 3?
  • Clipdat
    edited April 2018
    Yes, I believe you're right on the money there, it appears to be the successor. The HC must be designed for those 200wpc+ amps.

My monoblocks are only 50wpc, so I think (hope?) that they will be just fine with the 14awg.
    Is it the Venom HC that replaced the Venom 3?

• BlueFox
    The Venom3 was the only Venom power cable at that time, which was around 2012 for me. You could get it with 20 amp connectors, which I needed for the CA amps, and Pangea didn’t offer that connector. I did have Pangea AC-14 on everything else back then.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    I'm going into these power cable upgrades with a HEALTHY dose of skepticism. I keep thinking to myself "No way a POWER CABLE can make things sound different/better than they already do...".

We shall soon see!
  • Hermitism
    When I joined here, I couldn't wrap my head around how a power cable could effect the sound. I thought of it as a component is either getting power or not. If it's getting power, than it's functioning as it should. But even listening to music through an AVR, I could hear a difference.
  • BlueFox
    Good for you. I too was a skeptic. After all, 120 volts is 120 volts, right? Wrong!! LOL

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    OK now I know that you're full of voodoo crazy talk. LOL!
    But even listening to music through an AVR, I could hear a difference.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    zmk6nk7vnkku.jpeg
    Y'all just won't listen to logic......
    This is a perfect power distribution conditioner.....
  • Clipdat
    Oh please, I wouldn't even plug my Hitachi Magic Wand into that POS.
    lightman1 wrote: »

• BlueFox
    Yea. I got your logic right here. LOL

So, when are you coming to CA? We should be having some other disaster soon that requires help.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hermitism
    Is that anything like a Lovense Lush?

• Clipdat
    It's more oldschool than that new fangled tech!
    Is that anything like a Lovense Lush?

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430

Add a New AQ Dragon to that and you can rename it the "Bad Boy 5000"
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Yea. I got your logic right here. LOL

So, when are you coming to CA? We should be having some other disaster soon that requires help.

A summer get away is in the works.
  • BlueFox
    Oh no. Earthquake coming. Time to stock up on beer survival gear. Just to be safe, some smokable medicine might be needed.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    lightman1 wrote: »
    zmk6nk7vnkku.jpeg

shhh! Now the prices are gonna skyrocket.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    as seen on Another Forum -- apparently disagreements over the raw materials used in cables dates back farther than one might have thought:

tembjyl5j5jv.png

Just think -- were there no Internet, I'd never have known this.

;)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I haven't. There is a difference in sound, that much I know. I haven't heard the 9SE, but I wasn't a huge fan of the 9 after I heard other cables. It's a good starting point in the PC world. My biggest issue is the SQ isn't worth the hassle of hooking them up.

I have had both the 14 and 14SE and I know there were big improvements between those two, so maybe the 9 and 9SE would have a similar jump that would make it worthwhile.

I'm wondering what component you had those 9's hooked to that they didn't sound good?? I've just dipped my toe in the entry power cable pool and this inquiring mind is very curious :)
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    My next upgrade
    h9u4pyrbppio.png
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I haven't. There is a difference in sound, that much I know. I haven't heard the 9SE, but I wasn't a huge fan of the 9 after I heard other cables. It's a good starting point in the PC world. My biggest issue is the SQ isn't worth the hassle of hooking them up.

I have had both the 14 and 14SE and I know there were big improvements between those two, so maybe the 9 and 9SE would have a similar jump that would make it worthwhile.

I'm wondering what component you had those 9's hooked to that they didn't sound good?? I've just dipped my toe in the entry power cable pool and this inquiring mind is very curious :)

I didn't say they sounded bad, just that they didn't sound good enough to warrant the struggle. It was a definite upgrade over stock, but once I heard other cables around the same price (with similar or better gains) and had no difficulty with installation, I quickly had no desire to ever use the 9 again.

Believe it or not, they will impart their own signature onto the sound. Pangea will have a slightly rolled off top end that integrates well into most systems. I don't like their AC-9 but loved the AC-14SE. Wireworld is neutral in presentation and won't shift the tonal balance of your system much, if at all.

I cut and pasted your reply from the other cable thread. I asked the same question of what component you had the 9's hooked up to in the other thread because of the rolled off top end you claimed
    I can certainly understand and I agree with you on not recommending them because they're a major pita to work with. I think the only way they could be used with a lighter weight component is if it had an anvil sitting on top of it. It would also be damn near impossible to try to snake a 9 into a rack. I would have to say a lower radiator hose on a Mack truck has more flexibility :)
  • BlueFox
    I think the only way they could be used with a lighter weight component is if it had an anvil sitting on top of it. It would also be damn near impossible to try to snake a 9 into a rack.

LOL. True. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    My AC-9 is back in the box for that very reason.