Entry Price for a Power Cable Upgrade?

Options
How much money would I need to spend to get a decent upgrade over the stock power cables that I'm currently using? These are just standard cables that I'm looking to replace, nothing special about them at all. I've spent mega bucks on cables before but am not looking to go down that route right now. If I can get a decent upgrade for $100 or so I'll probably do it, but no idea if at that price point it's even worth upgrading.

Comments

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,517
    Options
    You will probably get some other good ideas, but for little money there’s Pangea from Audio Advisor. Also, for a little more the Shunyata Research Venom.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    There's usually no shortage of used Pangeas on the market, seems like a lot of people start with them and work their way up to something even better later on.

I bought all my Pangea SE versions used for my HT system, here is what I paid to give you an idea on used market prices. If you are in a hurry, expect to pay a little more than I did, I spent a few months being a thrifty shopper. I'm cheap.

AC-14SE 1M $30 shipped (Blu-ray player)
    AC-9SE 1M $71 shipped (sub)
    AC-9SE 1M $91.08 shipped (AVR)

I think they were all purchased on eBay, it was a few years ago. God help you if you need to bend an AC-9 within a small space. Stiff. The 14 is flexible, but not meant for high current amps. I've owned the 14 and the 14SE, the SE version was a great upgrade over the standard version. I've only owned the SE version of the 9.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    svi92d1b3913.png

An affordable power cord of no mean reputation would be of interest.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    Shunyata, Pangea or Signal would be my choice in that dollar range.
  • maxward
    Options
    Rite Audio Cable is, I believe, no longer in business. However, they have been well reviewed and are probably available used.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I use wireworld, love the geometry
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Stratus 7 is reasonable. I use and just upgraded my 2 channel to Aurora 7's. Get a hold of DSkip.
  • maxward
    Options
    I bought a few from Steve Hallick, the owner. His email is (was?) riteaudiocables@gmail.com. I don’t have his phone number in my contacts. Great guy to deal with. Mine are braided and reasonably flexible.
  • Hermitism
    edited March 2018
    Options
    you might want to remove his email
  • maxward
    Options
    Formerly called: My Audio Cables. I don’t know the reason for the name change, but you can find some reviews if you search for the old name.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I concur with the Shunyata Venom. Added them to my Cambridge-Audio 840W amps maybe 6 years ago, and was amazed what $100 did. After that I upgraded all my source Pangea cables to Shunyata, and haven't looked back.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • maxward
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Hermitism, I searched without luck as to how to edit a post so I can remove the email address. Any help for this newbie is appreciated. Edit: My hour to edit has passed, so am I SOL?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    @Hermitism, I searched without luck as to how to edit a post so I can remove the email address. Any help for this newbie is appreciated. Edit: My hour to edit has passed, so am I SOL?

Pm @KennethSwauger
  • Hermitism
    Options
    It's probably a public business email address, so it doesn't matter. When I saw it, it was the gmail account that threw me. I just didn't want the poor guy getting a ton of junk mail as a result.
  • maxward
    Options
    Okay. Thanks everyone. Sorry to hijack this thread. His cables are well-constructed, IMHO.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I'm still using Signal Cable power cords these days. You get a small price break if you mention to Frank that you are a member of the Club Polk forum (@dorokusai set that deal up some time ago). Frank even donated cables when we held the Chicagoland Polkfest - he's been good to Polkies!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    In your price range I agree with a few others here - I'm split fairly evenly between Pangea and Signal Cable, all purchased used as well very reasonably. Haven't bit the bullet yet to jump up to the Cullen/Shunyata category, one day maybe.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    What is it for, an amp or a source? PS Audio AC3 is a good cord, wit removable ground lug, for not much more than you're looking to spend new, less used. If its a source I have a couple of Pangea 14's I could part with cheaply. Check out Zu Audios ebay sight as there are some good deals there.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    I need one for an amp and one for a source
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I need one for an amp and one for a source

Danny. I got a 2m PS Audio AC-3 I can let you borrow. Just cover shipping and insurance lo. Will want it back, but I’m happy to let you borrow it for a month or two.

That way you can see if PS Audio is for you.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I second Zu Audio EBay Page. They are practically giving away their old stock discontinued cables. I picked up a zu event power cable for 130$, the retail on them was close to 700$ when they were current, this is their top power cable. Actually I bought 4 :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I second Zu Audio EBay Page. They are practically giving away their old stock discontinued cables. I picked up a zu event power cable for 130$, the retail on them was close to 700$ when they were current, this is their top power cable. Actually I bought 4 :smile:

do you have to bid or can you just purchase?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Unfortunately It’s bidding. But the prices aren’t getting wildly out of control.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• AudioRefugee
    Options
    Almost everything in my system was purchased used including speaker cables and interconnects. I like Nordost and Wireworld. I troll ebay, hifishark, usaudiomart, and audiogon for deals. Figure out a good match for your system. Not better or worse than. A match. Then set up some automated searches. You'll score eventually and save a buck... for new vinyl.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    I've just ordered several Shunyata Venom 14 power cables for my system.
  • Hermitism
    Options
    Isn't the Venom 14 meant for source components? I'm not that familiar with their model hierarchy.
  • Hermitism
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hey Skip, have you ever compared a Pangea AC-9SE and a Shunyata Venom HC? Sound quality only, not flexibility. And how about a Pangea AC-14SE vs. a Shunyata Venom 14? With the lower priced cables, will I hear much of a difference between brands.