"So you don't have to turn it up" Maybe I get it now

Options
Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
Just hooked up the Pioneer Elite SC-63 this week in my home theater setup. Speakers listed in my signature.

I used Guradians of the Galaxy as my test blu ray. I ran the MCACC and didn't change any of the settings manually before playing the disc.

I don't have the audiophile vocabulary to describe the differences between the Sony ES receiver I was using and this one, but I was amazed at the improvement. More clarity, better mids and highs.

But the biggest surprise was how good it sounds at lower volumes. With the lower powered amp pushing less current, I had to turn it up much louder to get good surround. Today I was conversing with my wife and daughter in the room with the system, so I had it playing more as background sound and it still had great separation and presence.

Thanks to @DSkip for the big upgrade to my system.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,432
    Options
    Nice move, Jim!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Thanks, Scott. Maybe some new cables and I am done for a while. I just have to work on a system for my daughter now.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited March 2018
    Options
    A very different space (strictly one or two-channel hifi audio), but I was (and still am) astounded by the performance of single-ended triode amplification coupled with high-sensitivity, highly dynamic loudspeakers at low volume levels. It is remarkable to listen to an album track fade-out and hear the full-spectrum sound quality maintained all of the way "down" as a track fades to silence.

N.B. No, I cannot reconcile this with the well established physiological phenomenon in humans for the loss of HF and LF response at lower sound pressure levels (Fletcher-Munson 'equal loudness' curves). There is a certain amount of magic in audio reproduction that defies the logic of causality :)

97l5d47b0p7v.png
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    ^^ Yeah, what he said.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    A very different space (strictly one or two-channel hifi audio), but I was (and still am) astounded by the performance of single-ended triode amplification coupled with high-sensitivity, highly dynamic loudspeakers at low volume levels. It is remarkable to listen to an album track fade-out and hear the full-spectrum sound quality maintained all of the way "down" as a track fades to silence.

N.B. No, I cannot reconcile this with the well established physiological phenomenon in humans for the loss of HF and LF response at lower sound pressure levels (Fletcher-Munson 'equal loudness' curves). There is a certain amount of magic in audio reproduction that defies the logic of causality :)

97l5d47b0p7v.png

Does the mixing play a part here? Are they anticipating what the expected listening volume levels will be?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    I don't know, but I doubt it.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    I've got two Pioneer Elite's. Love them. Run cool and sound great. Class D amps have come a long way.