BMW question

Options

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Wow, can’t say I expected them to have no support, I know a few guys that had BMW’s and haven’t heard anything like this.

Now I don’t know what I’ll do. I do appreciate the advice though.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    My best friend drives an M4, my other friend drives a 650i, my brother drives a 235 Msport.

But they both bought brand new. My brother's car has been to the dealer maybe 5x in the 2 years he's owned it.

I owned an MB E550, it was in the shop zero times.

I would get an MB over a BMW any day. Especially if used.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    My buddy has an X5 and just had to have about $3500 of 'normal maintenance' and fix a couple of small oil drips at the 30k mile mark. He is sorry he bought it. I'm a Lexus/Toyota owner. +1 on the 4runner or the older Lexus vehicles. Would never touch a BMW. I buy mine to drive, not for them to spend time in the shop.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    Have you thought about a Lexus RX 350? Had one since 14 and it's never in the shop. It looks similar to the BMW you have pictured. Wife drives it and loves it.
  • charley95
    Options
    One thing I've noticed when visiting my local Lexus dealer is that their service area is the smallest I've ever seen. That tells me something!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Two things I have found about used BMWs from my years as a mechanic and/or parts counter monkey.

1.) BMWs only last between 3 to 5 years before the long, expensive, laborious process of completely rebuilding them one failed part at time begins.

2.) Anyone who says their BMW has been "trouble free" is either lying/kidding themselves or has a different definition of "trouble free" than most people.

Nobody buys a BMW new. They lease them and in 3 years, they go lease a new one and unload the old one. They lease because the payments are about half of what a financing payment would be. So nobody really maintains them or takes care of them well either. So they hit the used market likely with more small issues than they should have. But people want to have that "lifestyle" and don't buy a used BMW because they want a reliable, comfortable car. They want a status symbol and continue to neglect it so all those little problems become bigger problems.

You want a used luxury car? Get a Cadillac or a Lincoln or a Lexus or an Acura. Buicks are pretty snazzy anymore too and NOBODY will pay any attention to you because they think you are an old man. A Cadillac is just a bedazzled Chevy so it's going to be cheap and easy to fix. A Lincoln is a Ford that took off the blue jeans and put on a rented tux. A Lexus is an over-priced Toyota with the "gold package". An Acura is a Honda with different badges.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    edited March 2018
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Wow, can’t say I expected them to have no support, I know a few guys that had BMW’s and haven’t heard anything like this.

Some alternative thinking. There are plenty of older BMWs on the road in my area. The one up for sale has low mileage. If you can pick it up for $12K and it has no oil leaks and everything in working order it could be a decent hauler. Ask to see maintenance records if they are available. Was it run on synthetic oil with regular changes? Does it have relatively new tires? Tires can be expensive! Test all windows and other motors to see if they sound and work right. If not, walk away. I would not trust it as a daily driver for a loved one or want to take it on long trips but the X5 can be useful. Just not for a teenager who is still learning how to drive in busy traffic.

German lixury cars are expensive because they use expensive parts. Expect that anything that goes wrong will be expensive to remedy and budget for it. Typically that would be anything electronic in a 9 year old vehicle. Wiper motor goes out, plan on double the cost of a typical car. Although the inline 6 is relatively reliable, it has been pushing around a heavy vehicle. I would be more inclined to get a used 3 series than one of BMW’s SUVs. An SUV is also not inherently safer than a sedan for a novice driver because they don’t handle as well. My recommendation would be to lease a new Camry LE.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    This x1000! Larger, heavier, and higher off the road doesn't automatically mean safer in an accident.

The safest vehicle is one that can potentially avoid an accident in the first place thanks to it's nimble handling. (Ask me how I know...)
    Emlyn wrote: »
    An SUV is also not inherently safer than a sedan for a novice driver because they don’t handle as well.

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,189
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Looking for an SUV? See if you can find a land cruiser... Hard to beat Toyota reliability...

Hell even a 4Runner is a rock solid choice...I'd even take a goofy lookin FJ Cruiser over a Beemer any day.

All three of those choices tend to have very inflated values on the used market. Yes they are reliable, but they don't drive on the road worth a crap.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • charley95
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a Camry. Not the most exciting car in the world but, I've never spoken anyone through the years that's owned them that have gripes. The new one is not a bad looking car. I guess you have to decide what you want out of a car. Do your research.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited March 2018
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    Can't go wrong with a Camry. Not the most exciting car in the world but, I've never spoken anyone through the years that's owned them that have gripes. The new one is not a bad looking car. I guess you have to decide what you want out of a car. Do your research.

First time I rented a Camry (early 1990s in Orlando :p ) my comment after driving it for 10 minutes -
    "This is the ultimate American car". Absolutely boring, absolutely predictable,absolutely fit-for-purpose.

The ultimate incarnation of the 1963 Chevy Impala (or insert your favorite big bland American sedan of yesteryear) of the modern era.

(Full disclosure, the RAV4 I drive now is even more boring and utilitarian!)

• Jstas
    Options
    Life's too short to drive boring cars.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Life is too boring to drive short cars.
  • vmaxer
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »

Some alternative thinking. There are plenty of older BMWs on the road in my area. The one up for sale has low mileage. If you can pick it up for $12K and it has no oil leaks and everything in working order it could be a decent hauler. Ask to see maintenance records if they are available. Was it run on synthetic oil with regular changes? Does it have relatively new tires? Tires can be expensive! Test all windows and other motors to see if they sound and work right. If not, walk away. I would not trust it as a daily driver for a loved one or want to take it on long trips but the X5 can be useful. Just not for a teenager who is still learning how to drive in busy traffic.

German lixury cars are expensive because they use expensive parts. Expect that anything that goes wrong will be expensive to remedy and budget for it. Typically that would be anything electronic in a 9 year old vehicle. Wiper motor goes out, plan on double the cost of a typical car. Although the inline 6 is relatively reliable, it has been pushing around a heavy vehicle. I would be more inclined to get a used 3 series than one of BMW’s SUVs. An SUV is also not inherently safer than a sedan for a novice driver because they don’t handle as well. My recommendation would be to lease a new Camry LE.

I can get it for 12K- CARFAX has several service records. Been garage kept, one owner. I have been watching these vehicles and when this one came up I contacted the seller. Going to look at it tomorrow.

I was excited to get it, but now not so sure.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Jstas
    Options
    I think that what you should take from this is not that BMWs are bad cars just that one should do their due diligence when shopping for a used one.

You seem to be doing that so keep going and if you are happy with it, go for it. Just beware that they can have some expensive problems surface. They aren't any harder to care for than your run of the mill Chevy or something but parts are sometimes significantly more expensive.

I know a few people with used BMWs. Two have 7 series. All of them have told stories of repairs that were either a nightmare or significantly more expensive than they were expecting or parts availability was poor. One guy had his 7 series disassembled in his garage for 9 months waiting on various parts from Germany.

Granted, an 3.0 X5 is not a B7 Alpina but do some research on Google for 2009 BMW X5 3.0 problems and consider what comes up.

This site is actually a good site because it lists reported complaints and the average cost of repair: https://www.carcomplaints.com/BMW/X5/2009/

I will say, too, that after about 7 years, the BMWs that have been neglected/beat-on get weeded out of the used market and you get left with the few that were owned, not leased and the ones that were cared for. They tend to be more reliable.

Like every old mechanic or carpenter ever told me, take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Well if I had the choice between getting married again and a getting a BMW give the the BMW on fire going off a cliff. I hope this helps. :#
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »

Signature line material right there.

ewfr7j2p079o.png

(borrowed photo -- needless to say)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    I think that what you should take from this is not that BMWs are bad cars just that one should do their due diligence when shopping for a used one.

You seem to be doing that so keep going and if you are happy with it, go for it. Just beware that they can have some expensive problems surface. They aren't any harder to care for than your run of the mill Chevy or something but parts are sometimes significantly more expensive.

I know a few people with used BMWs. Two have 7 series. All of them have told stories of repairs that were either a nightmare or significantly more expensive than they were expecting or parts availability was poor. One guy had his 7 series disassembled in his garage for 9 months waiting on various parts from Germany.

Granted, an 3.0 X5 is not a B7 Alpina but do some research on Google for 2009 BMW X5 3.0 problems and consider what comes up.

This site is actually a good site because it lists reported complaints and the average cost of repair: https://www.carcomplaints.com/BMW/X5/2009/

I will say, too, that after about 7 years, the BMWs that have been neglected/beat-on get weeded out of the used market and you get left with the few that were owned, not leased and the ones that were cared for. They tend to be more reliable.

Like every old mechanic or carpenter ever told me, take care of your stuff and it will take care of you.

I have often heard this put into context along these lines:

These automobiles are expensive to purchase, so no one should be surprised that they are also expensive to maintain.

It certainly appears that their manufacturers look at things that way.
    Kind of makes sense, actually.

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options

Hey, I drive short cars and they are far from boring.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I once had a co-worker who drove a Scion xB.
    He had a bumper sticker on it that read
    Hummer Escape Pod

:)
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    1kd1zfk7b3lp.gif
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    Is that @nooshinjohn in his red Jag?
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    1kd1zfk7b3lp.gif

• vmaxer
    Options
    Touch crowd.

So, someone want to karma me some repairs??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    We are trying to Karma you some common sense...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    I agree with Skip on taking a look at the Infiniti models. In terms of comfort and performance they split the difference between Lexus and BMW. You get some of the performance of a BMW and some of the comfort of a Lexus, it’s a good middle ground that works for some people. We are on our second FX model (FX50 now) and have had zero issues with either one...my only complaint is that the 360 degree camera system that lets you see all the way around your vehicle on the outside could use some HD lenses on the cameras
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    You want a used luxury car? Get a Cadillac or a Lincoln or a Lexus or an Acura. Buicks are pretty snazzy anymore too and NOBODY will pay any attention to you because they think you are an old man. A Cadillac is just a bedazzled Chevy so it's going to be cheap and easy to fix. A Lincoln is a Ford that took off the blue jeans and put on a rented tux. A Lexus is an over-priced Toyota with the "gold package". An Acura is a Honda with different badges.

Back in the day, when I was a technical editor writing repair manuals for the Hearst Corp., that's exactly what we thought, too
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    I had a 69 Mercury Park Lane convertible that (I think) was longer than that. It was limo-length!
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ewfr7j2p079o.png
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Tough crowd.

So, someone want to karma me some repairs??

I'd look at Japanese luxury brands (Acura, Lexus, Infinity) waaay before any of the German brands. Sure they don't have the same image, "prestige", whatever you want to call it as a Mercedes or BMW but they'll cost you way less money in the long run and in a lot of cases be just as or nearly as nice to drive.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Acura MDX, almost 300hp, 27mpg highway

2017_acura_mdx_preview_overview-pic-6170031929975698294-640x480.jpeg

2018_acura_mdx_LIFE2_ot_10021701_1280.jpg

They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I would not buy a used Beemer. But that's me.

Probably less than used Pass amps. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.