C.H. Diamond 6SN7 Tube Preamp

Options
2»

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I would have to believe that a pre with dual outputs would have some resistance added. Been several years since I was in that class, and, we don't do much of that here. Lot of plug and play components (proprietary) and logic changes (which is what we do mostly).

Not saying that a splitter won't work, we all know it does, but, I think proper utilization would require modest circuit changes.

I agree there will be variances pending on connector and cable materials and structure etc
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited March 2018
    Options
    this is from a highly thought of company.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/YS-Audio-SYMPHONIES-PLUS-R-Remote-Tube-Preamplifier-/190905561201

they make a fully balanced pre at about $998
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I’ve always preferred my sub wired off of the amp using high level speaker terminals on the sub (for 2 channel). And you have the fun of making a nice custome cable with fancy tech flex. JL and REL swear by it, subs are easier to blend with the mains this way. Less delay as well.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Agree, option I posted was to limit cables gear and space for desk top
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Which was kind of my point, you don't have to, but, to do it properly resistance should be added.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Agree, option I posted was to limit cables gear and space for desk top

Ohhhhhhh, desktop rig. Got it.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    Which was kind of my point, you don't have to, but, to do it properly resistance should be added.

I think a buffer (active circuit with impedance matching) is the 'best' way to do it, FWIW.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Anyone have any listening experience with this preamp?
    marvda1 wrote: »
    this is from a highly thought of company.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/YS-Audio-SYMPHONIES-PLUS-R-Remote-Tube-Preamplifier-/190905561201

they make a fully balanced pre at about $998

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited March 2018
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I think a buffer (active circuit with impedance matching) is the 'best' way to do it, FWIW.

Sorry, this was a dumb response that I posted :( I would've edited it, but I missed the 60 minute window.

Suffice it to say that either passive (resistive) or active matching (resistors or a cathode follower or buffer) represent good ways to optimize splitting line-level signals. :|

Sorry!
  • kharp1
    Options

Sorry, this was a dumb response that I posted :( I would've edited it, but I missed the 60 minute window.

Suffice it to say that either passive (resistive) or active matching (resistors or a cathode follower or buffer) represent good ways to optimize splitting line-level signals. :|

Sorry!

You make a good point, I wasn't stepping it out any further than is a splitter the best way to do it. Resistive would work, but, an active buffer stage would be better.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Urge to buy the YS-Audio SYMPHONIES PLUS-R is rising.
  • marvda1
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

looks like the two knob version is the best.
    forget this, thinking about another pre.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Link? I was just looking at this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/190905561201

• marvda1
    Options
    Link? I was just looking at this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/190905561201

my bad, thinking about another preamp.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Options
    This preamp looks pretty nice as well, built in phono stage: http://www.doge.audio/products/doge-8-tube-preamplifier/doge-8-clarity-2017-edition/

DOGE_8_CLARITY_BLACK_BACK_INSIDE_CARRE.jpg

What's up with those silver shields that go around the tubes?
  • kharp1
    Options
    Dampers/cooling devices.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    This preamp looks pretty nice as well, built in phono stage: http://www.doge.audio/products/doge-8-tube-preamplifier/doge-8-clarity-2017-edition/

I love DOGE!!!! :p

x7t3ku139bsc.jpg