Formula One 2018

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    I loved how you could hear the crowd cheer when Vettel crashed.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    Anyone remember The Jerk with Steve Martin and his glasses frames? It would be funny if there's a driver class action lawsuit next year from the halo making everyone cross-eyed.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    My hat is off to Bottas, great teammate and team player, you never would have seen Nikko do the same. Haas needs better drivers, they qualify in the top 10 but finish just outside of it at the end, Gosjean just needs to go. Let Kimi or Ricardo take top driver spot on that team, you will see instant results.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,753
    Bottas clearly lost position on the turn when Vettel was in front...but he kept digging and made contact.

If he knows he lost downforce on the front, why did be keep pushing deep in the turns?

I do like Hamilton and I feel his teammate possibly tried too hard to hold up traffic.

• recoveryone
    Bottas Held on and blocked both Vettel and Kimi from making any charged on Hamilton. If there would have been a full pace car lap around the time Kimi went for his 2nd pit stop, Bottas could have jumped in on another pit stop himself and made his charge back on Vettel. Hamilton got the win, but the Prancing Pony got the constructor points.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,753
    edited July 2018
    Bottas Held on and blocked both Vettel and Kimi from making any charged on Hamilton.

He did that early on.

However, this is what I'm referring to...he's not even in the groove, and he still drives into the side of him...that was all Bottas' fault...one of two mishaps.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    I disagree, that was Vettel misjudging where the rear end of his car was, AGAIN!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,104
    F1nut wrote: »
    I disagree, that was Vettel misjudging where the rear end of his car was, AGAIN!

I'm not sure Vettel knows where his own rear end is. The Bottas/Ricciardo coming together was Bottas' fault, however, as he just didn't have enough grip to maintain his line with the broken front spoiler - which he should have known.

Speaking of Ricciardo, I have an ongoing conversation with myself about who is the best driver if they were all in the same car. I've always thougth Alonso, even if he is getting a bit long in the tooth (for an F1 driver!!), but I'm seeing Ricciardo creep into the frame. The man really knows how to execute a pass - as far as late braking goes he's got the largest spheres of all of them. The ability to judge braking perfectly is an element in all the greats - witness Jimmy Clark and Ayrton Senna.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    I remember reading that Clark was very easy on his brakes, they lasted nearly twice as long as Graham Hill's brakes.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • OleBoot
    Milito wrote: »
    I remember reading that Clark was very easy on his brakes, they lasted nearly twice as long as Graham Hill's brakes.

Clark had a totally different technique to all the rest of the drivers of the day - he would brake later and keep the brakes on right up until the apex of the corner, nowadays known as trail braking, whereas others completed their braking before turning in. Don't really know enough to say if it was this that made him kinder on brakes, but he was certainly quicker through corners!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    After a long break, SPA this weekend! So exciting! One of my favorite tracks!
  • OleBoot
    edited August 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »
    After a long break, SPA this weekend! So exciting! One of my favorite tracks!

Indeed - managed to get there once (alas, not for an F1 meet) as a side trip when I was there on business. It almost made me forgive La Belgique for what they call beer.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I cut the cord a while back. I miss F1 although every now and then I get a race OTA
  • It was nice to see other teams high up on the gird, but the out come was destine to what it was.
  • Clipdat
    Glad everyone walked away physically unharmed from that opening corner incident!
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    It looks like the new safety bar did it's job!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • F1nut
    gce wrote: »
    It looks like the new safety bar did it's job!

Alonso's car would not have hit Leclerc in the head even if the halo device wasn't installed. In fact, from watching the replays I don't think it was Alsono's car that brushed the halo. I think it was some debris.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Whatever hit it, the halo might have saved Leclerc's noggin.
    n56ks8vt5fn2.jpg
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Tip of the cap to Bottas again for being the ultimate teammate, and still found his way to the podium. Max back up to his old tricks, the stewarts are not having any of it. Vettle is feeling the pressure and making foolish mistakes that could cost him the championship. Kimi ran as hard as he could, but that issues falls back on the team engineers for not testing the Soft tires.
  • Clipdat
    Sucked to see Ricciardo retire early with engine issues yet again.
  • F1nut
    "Ferrari has a problem, it's called Lewis Hamilton"

Classic!!!

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Ok, so I love racing sports, but the only one I can get is NASCAR (which, by the way, I do enjoy, but I like F1 a lot more). How do you guys get F1? Is it on the air? Cable? If so, then I’m outta luck, unless there’s another way.
  • Sky Sports has a deal with Espn for commercial free coverage.
  • F1nut
    ESPN was given the rights to broadcast F1 races in the USA this year by F1's new owners, Liberty Media. ESPN, who can't do anything right decided to use the commercial free Sky live feed, but throw commercials in willy-nilly and even ended the broadcast before the podium ceremony was over, which was an utter disaster. The outrage from that resulted in Liberty Media forcing ESPN to broadcast the races commercial free.

President of Club Polk

• With the old deal with NBCsports you could have seen at least 3 races OTA as NBC would show the Canadian GP GP of The Americas (Austin Tx) and the Mexico GP. Now if you are not able to get ESPN 2 you will be out of luck.
  • another f1 weekend and current reports say Vette has crashed in free practice and Kimi is at the top right now
  • F1nut
    Vettel didn't crash and Ricardo was on top.

President of Club Polk

• recoveryone
    edited September 2018
    Vettel hit the wall in Free Practice 2 which caused a leak in one of his cooling system. No Matter, Hamilton took pole when it counted.