Cassette Tape Fans - Japanese Book on Cassette - "Cassette Tape Complete Guide"

Disclaimer: I don't read or understand Japanese, and I must apologize for the quality of the photos.

I took a chance recently and ordered the below book titled "Cassette Tape Complete Guide" from cdjapan.co.jp.

27023276928_3c9fd88daf_b.jpg

The book has 194 pages and is beautifully printed. Almost every page has a photo. From what I can gather, there is a multi-page brand history section for each of these brands....TDK, Sony, Maxell, Fuji/Axia, Columbia/Denon, and That's. Smaller half page brand history were done for Scotch, National/Panasonic, Victor, and Konica. There's also a year-by-year breakdown on which blank cassettes were released (the photo below from the year 1987)....

27023276548_ce8fee8aa2_b.jpg

There is a history of each brand of blank cassette, each section featured a timeline of when a specific blank cassette was introduced (the below photo came from the Denon section)....

27023275718_6fd71b7d6d_b.jpg

Towards the end of the book, there's a section of the many models of portable cassette players released by Sony, Aiwa, and Panasonic (the below photo is from the Sony Walkman section)

27023274798_97b82ba328_c.jpg

I believe there are a couple of articles on people who still record on cassettes.

Interestingly, on the inside of the front cover, there's an ad from Aiwa for its small CD/cassette boomboxes.

The book cost about US$12.00. Highly recommended!!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,715
    I had some of the Sony cassette tapes pictured on the front cover. I believe the body was ceramic. Heavy as hell and cost a small fortune compared to the others.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    F1nut wrote: »
    I had some of the Sony cassette tapes pictured on the front cover. I believe the body was ceramic. Heavy as hell and cost a small fortune compared to the others.

Oh yeah, the Sony Super Metal Master. My sister still has 3 of them, still factory sealed. Heavy like a brick.

TDK had its MA-XG....complete with a metal frame inside the plastic case....

2990524080_6d67b1ee0e.jpg

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,331
    I have a MA-XG and an SA-XG tucked away along with some Denon HD/7 and HD/8.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    What! Wow, that's super cool. Nice find! Thanks for sharing some photos.

I've ordered CDs and vinyl from CD Japan in the past, they always have great packaging to ensure things arrive undamaged. It's just that little extra attention to detail they put into preparing your order. Great service.
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I don't read or understand Japanese, and I must apologize for the quality of the photos.

I took a chance recently and ordered the below book titled "Cassette Tape Complete Guide" from cdjapan.co.jp.

• Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    Danny- I ordered the book. Thanks for posting this! I still have a couple of the TDK metal cased cassettes in the wrapper, along with a few of those really heavy cased plastic ones that I don't remember who made them. Maxell?
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.