Do I need a sub with these Usher MD2's?

2»

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @Derf, good point but this would be a stop gap, cant afford to go big. Anyway I would like some opinions regarding my theory.
  • afterburnt
    @Derf, are you running an upgraded power cable to your sub?
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @Derf, are you running an upgraded power cable to your sub?
    Using stock power cable.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • afterburnt
    DSkip wrote: »
    Gotcha. The bass should be similar but more controlled compared to the N-6361. You can always add a sub to a speaker system to get a little more weight to the music. Need? I don't think so. Gains? Always.

One reason I liked you going with the Preamp instead of another route is that you get dual pre-outs so its easy to integrate a subwoofer if you choose so later on. I think if you haven't yet, room treatments should come before a subwoofer as controlling the energy in a room has big rewards on the entire frequency range.

@DSkip "dual pre-outs" ? I don't get it, please elaborate.

I thought I would have to use the speaker outs???
  • afterburnt
    edited April 2018
    Gotcha. The bass should be similar but more controlled compared to the N-6361. You can always add a sub to a speaker system to get a little more weight to the music. Need? I don't think so. Gains? Always.

One reason I liked you going with the Preamp instead of another route is that you get dual pre-outs so its easy to integrate a subwoofer if you choose so later on. I think if you haven't yet, room treatments should come before a subwoofer as controlling the energy in a room has big rewards on the entire frequency range.

The preamp has two different pairs of pre-outs. You can use one set for the amplifiers and another set for the subwoofer.

Oh yeah would you look at that!

So I am supposed to run RCA cables to the LFE input?

Are these not left and right outputs? So how do I hook up one sub?
  • afterburnt

The preamp has two different pairs of pre-outs. You can use one set for the amplifiers and another set for the subwoofer.

Oh yeah would you look at that!

So I am supposed to run RCA cables to the LFE input?

Are these not left and right outputs? So how do I hook up one sub?

Never mind, I found some pictures.