Elton John remastered tracks

Noticed something while listening to Elton John Diamonds... Looking for some alternate ears if they're available.

First heard it in Caety's focus, but discounted it since it's a factory stereo. So I threw it on the rig (SDA 2, NAD C320BEE, panny CDP). Now granted, I had the volume lower than normal, (the rabbits startle easy), but to me, Elton sounds like he's behind the piano, which sits behind the rest of the band. The stage is nice and wide like it should be, but to me, vocals should be up front and impactful, present.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    No one likes Elton John, I take it?

Oh and another disappointing fact about that box set: it doesn't include "reqium for a friend/love lies bleeding" :/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Elton John is darn good on SACD.
  • FestYboy
    Must be the remaster then... That's disappointing.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have most of the early EJ LP's on SACD and/or Vinyl and been super happy with the sound from them.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    let me guess? "Goodbye Yellow Brick road" or Madman Across the Water (or border)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• FestYboy
    edited March 2018
    I jumped in the wayback machine and came across this... http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/178415/sda-2-lead-vocals-too-quiet#latest
    Mine have 194s on one channel and the culprit in the above thread may be my issue as well... I'll report back in a few days once I get a chance to look into it.

Edit: But then again I'm an idiot and forgot for a second that the rig wasn't the only system I experienced the issue on... I derped, please carry on.
  • voltz
    Art

One thing I have notice in the past is I normally avoid all best of compilations as they seem very compress and dull compared to the normal LP versions..except Carly Simon's Reflections CD which SQ is stellar and shockingly good..as it Bob Segers Greatest hits re-issue on 180 Vinyl!

could that be the case?

• FestYboy
    edited March 2018
    Possible, but the instruments have a good bit of life to them. I'll also throw a disk in the puter and get a wave form sample as well just to verify.

Oh, and please, it's Arty. Art is my father.
  • voltz
    edited March 2018
    Okay Arty! my bad.

A buddy of mine Richard at Work is called LD by his family and wife cause his Dad is BD.

• FestYboy
    It's all good. There were 3 of us at one point, so there was need for a solution.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Check out Madman Across the Water sacd. Pay attention to background details. On Leavon, you can hear the piano pedal a couple of times in the beginning of the song. The entire sacd is fantastic.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Does anyone know the non-SACD's to look for? Are there any differences in the CD releases?

Specifically for Goodbye Yellow Brick road and Madman Across the Water
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    voltz wrote: »
    Okay Arty! my bad.

A buddy of mine Richard at Work is called LD by his family and wife cause his Dad is BD.

Lol! I once met a guy who endured exactly that - family still called him LD, but everyone else knows him as Rick now!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    FestYboy wrote: »
    It's all good. There were 3 of us at one point, so there was need for a solution.
    Yes, I'm the third - my son is Eddie, my dad was Billy/Bill growing up, then Ed. Grandfather was Ed. Family still calls me Edward, however...
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    The redbook layer of the madman cd is solid and soubds good. Its a hybird so it will play on regular cd players.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.