A21 quick notes...

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited March 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
Got about 6 1/2hrs of listening in yesterday, here's some quick notes I wrote while listening. The "baptismal" album was Zac Brown, The Foundation. Didn't start taking notes until it ran for about an hour with background music:

- There’s a flow and ease about the music
- Build quality and fit & finish are impressive
- Bass is deep and well defined
- Increased soundstage depth that enhances small background details in the music
- Midrange sounds more organic, providing more realism in a 3-dimensional aspect
- Definitely runs cooler than the HCA. The top got warm, but never HOT
- Top to bottom linearity of tone that doesn’t push forward any particular freq range
- Summed up in 2 words: powerful finesse

The PSB Imagines' midrange really came into its own with the A21. Outstanding. I have some of Frank's (Signal Cable) XLR's coming; listening last night was via Kimber Hero's RCA from the Benchmark DAC2, using flac files.

In the words of Lloyd Christmas: "I like it A-LOT."
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I think it's hard to beat at it's price point and it has been around for quite a while now. Some reviewers didn't like the "look" of the A21 but to me it looks like an AMP.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I’m looking for the replacement for my HCA 1500A.

Good to hear that you find the A21 to be an upgrade to the 1500A!

Part of me want to grab th me A21 and call it a day, but I also like to experiment and try new stuff.

I’ve been impressed with some of the Rotel offerings recently and I’ve been eyeing the RB-1590...
  • steveinaz
    I love the looks and "heft". Reminded me of my much-loved 1980-something Soundcraftsmen A5002 beast amp.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Nice review.

Everything I've read about these say to spring for the A21 vs. the A23, that the A21 blows it out of the water.
  • steveinaz
    Though it was more than double the price of the HCA-1500, it was a worthwhile upgrade, in my opinion. It's like a gorilla doing ballet.
  • Clipdat
    Obligatory guts shot:

574097-parasound_halo_a21.jpg
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    A21 was my favorite amp (non-integrated). There may be better (at higher prices), but the A21 hits a sweet spot. It drove my SS-M9 effortlessly and never sounded harsh. I'd still have it if I hadn't got the urge to 'downsize' and get my current monster hybrid integrated.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I’m looking for the replacement for my HCA 1500A.

Good to hear that you find the A21 to be an upgrade to the 1500A!

Part of me want to grab th me A21 and call it a day, but I also like to experiment and try new stuff.

I’ve been impressed with some of the Rotel offerings recently and I’ve been eyeing the RB-1590...

Ah the RB1590.... a good one.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    RB-1590 is 350wpc. Dayum.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    I have an a21 as well ....
    I agree whole heartedly with everything u said ... build quality is impressive ...
    Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    edited March 2018
    I’m gonna have to get my ears on a parasound amp here soon. Have heard nothing from parasound whatsoever
    Post edited by stangman67 on
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    I thought they made movies :p
  • stangman67
    monepolk wrote: »
    I thought they made movies :p

Lol good call :)

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    Autocorrect can be a real pita!

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2018
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Autocorrect can be a real pita!

I like pitas, they are yummy!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I originally purchased the A21 to power my 2.3's but since I moved and now have a much smaller room I use it to power my Usher Mini Dancer - X's . I think they even have more of a live soundstage effect than the SDA's albeit the room is not condusive to the SDA effect. The A21 mates extremely well with the Parasound P5 pre for obvious reasons and they make for a hard combo to beat that their price points.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2018
    Popped the lid on the Benchmark to jumper the XLR outputs to -10db (set at 0db by default) , in preparation of my Signal Cable analog 2 XLR cables. BM recommends starting there to maximize S/N ratio's between the preamp/amp. Cables should be here Friday.
  • steveinaz
    Signal cable XLR's arrived. Great build quality, as always. They sound great in system between the Benchmark analog outs to the A21 inputs. -10db XLR pad setting appears to be just right.