Amplifier for LSIM 707

alucididea
alucididea Posts: 113
edited March 2018 in Electronics
So, I just acquired an LSIM setup. 707s, 703s, and a 706 along with a Yamaha 3070 AVR. I’m looking to add some power amps for the 707s and hoping to get some input...

My first choice would be the NAD M22, although it’s a bit pricier than I’d like. My second choice would be one NAD C 268 for each 707. My question, is whether the 268 (in bridge mode) is too much power for the speaker. The specs on the 707s say up to 300w each and the amp does 300RMS.

My concern is that peak power output is too much for the speakers. Might anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Don't turn it up too much and amp the center.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited March 2018
    No such thing as too much power. Speakers will only use what they need. Too little power fries speakers, not too little.

Having said that, bridging increases distortion and is generally not recommended. Just get a good used 2 channel 200 wpc+ amp from rotel, Parasound, b&k, etc and call it a day.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • alucididea
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    No such thing as too much power. Speakers will only use what they need. Too little power fries speakers, not too little.

Having said that, bridging increases distortion and is generally not recommended. Just get a good used 2 channel 200 wpc+ amp from rotel, Parasound, b&k, etc and call it a day.

The specs on the bridged power is actually pretty decent. 300w @ 0.03% THD
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    edited March 2018
    I have bridged amps before and to me the sound is not as refined, i.e. smearing, distortion, whatever you want to call it. It just didn't sound clean. I was spending money I didn't need to spend under the assumption that if one amp is good, two is even better. Wrong. Rooftop's recommendation is good advice.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • alucididea
    I have bridged amps before and to me the sound is not as refined, i.e. smearing, distortion, whatever you want to call it. It just didn't sound clean. I was spending money I didn't need to spend under the assumption that if one amp is good, two is even better. Wrong. Rooftop's recommendation is good advice.
    Any of the amps I can find in a similar price range have less power and an equivalent THD rating. In this instance, I don’t understand how less power is better than more, considering that spec.

Is there something I’m missing?

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Git yer read on: https://www.audioasylum.com/messages/general/57210/biamplification-basics-an-article

The load the amp perceives dounless, so from 8 ohm to 4 ohm nominal, the damping factor is similarly affected, current suffers, distortion increases, and many audible effects like Michael describes can follow.

If you can return one, buy them both and see which way you like better: one amp, bi-amping or bridging. Report back ;-)
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • alucididea
    This was perfect. Thanks!
    Perhaps I’d do better splitting the difference with one NAD C275BEE for now, and a second as soon as I can afford it. :smile:
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Too little power fries speakers, not too little.
    Ummmmm.....okay. :p
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I believe you'll be perfectly satisfied with one C275BEE.
    alucididea wrote: »
    Perhaps I’d do better splitting the difference with one NAD C275BEE for now, and a second as soon as I can afford it. :smile:

• alucididea
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I believe you'll be perfectly satisfied with one C275BEE.
    I ended up springing for an NAD M22 instead! ;-)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    200.gif

I ended up springing for an NAD M22 instead! ;-)