Does this set of speakers to create 7.1 setup make any sense?

Options
Hello everyone,

First of all, I know almost nothing about speakers, amplifiers etc. However, it happened that I possessed several vintage speakers made by Polk Audio and I am wondering if they together would make a good 7.1 set.

They are:
2x Monitor Series 5J4 (as main/front speakers?)
1x CS200 (as a center speaker)
2x RT3 (as side surround speakers?)
2x M Series M3 II (as back surround speakers?)
What subwoofer should I get? Would PSW250 be OK?

Or this all is some kind of a crazy idea?

Additional question: what amplifier would be a good choice to drive it? What about Onkyo TX-NR575?

Specs I found on the Internet:

Monitor Series 5JR
Frequency Response: 30Hz - 25kHz
Impedance: 8Ω
Efficiency: 90 dB

CS200
Frequency Response: 70Hz to 20kHz
Efficiency: 89dB

RT3
Frequency Response: 50Hz to 25kHz

M Series M3 II
Frequency Response: 60Hz to 22kHz

Comments

• stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Those would work and you would likely be happy with it, but I'm not sure what your looking for.

I had a setup with M5Jr+, a CS250 center and PSW110 for a while but like most setups after awhile the upgrade bug set in. Now the one of the original M5Jr+ is the center of the current system.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Yes it will work, and it will make a nice, vintage starter system. It will crush any home theater in a box system under $500, probably more...

That receiver will work, but current models do sound and function better. Something from Yamaha's adventage series or anything from Marantz (SR or NR series) would work really well.

As for the sub, that is a sub and it will help augment the sound from about 35-100 hz, but there are many better options, even at $200-300. If @DSkip would let you purchase his DSW660wi for $200, that would be a MUCH better sub for a REALLY good price...

Good luck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • CowTownBart
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your input! I really appreciate that. It's a big help.