SDA 2.3tl Crossover Problem

Howdy Polkies... bought these 2.3TL's awhile back and they sounded great.... but I made the mistake of walking away and letting my mp3 collection play unattended through them from my phone/amp connection while I worked outside listening to the music through an open window. Some mp3's are recorded at different levels (duh) and when I heard one song just blast out way louder than the previous songs, I ran inside to see my amp led's reading massive clipping... blew 3 tweeters, and did... this...

Dumb, Dumb, Mistake! I replaced the tweeters and one speaker still had no high frequency output so I removed the crossovers, and found the burned components... not being a speaker tech, I'm not terribly certain what they are - inducer coils?

Can anyone tell me where to find replacements for these? I'm quite handy with a soldering iron. Both crossovers were burned like this... apparently the other one not burned badly enough to stop playing, but I want to replace both obviously. Also, might I have fried some of the other components? If so, which ones might have suffered from a massive clipping session?

Should I go all out and upgrade the caps while I'm at it?

Thanks for any replies/advice.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    That's an inductor.

Yes, go all out and upgrade. Talk to member Westmassguy.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Check out my 1C upgrade path thread. @westmassguy craftsmanship in full display!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Thanks guys... much appreciated. Any idea the specs on this burned inducter unit? Thoughts on what other components might have gotten cooked? All else LOOKS fine but, I'm concerned what else might be f-ed up with a visit to clip-city
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Just replace the crossovers, boards and all. Gimpod boards are the way to go, and have plenty of room for the larger new caps. Google VR3 mods. There you will find all you need to know including parts lists.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    edited March 2018
    It's a 0.3mH, 22 gauge inductor.

One slightly odd thing about your crossovers, it's marked BE-2200B, but the 2.3TL crossover should be the BE-2200C.

The other slightly odd thing is that 8.4uF cap on your board is supposed to be an 8uF. Of course, the 8.4uF is within Polk's tolerance and may have simply been what was on hand at the time or perhaps your crossovers are transitional considering the B designation and it's supposed to be an 8.4uF.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I guess that was the wild-wild west when
    polk was assembling components as improvements / alternatives were being researched/found. Do you think my having the BE-2200B crossover or 8.4 caps in my 2.3TL's compromised the setup / sound in any way?

Someone should put together all-inclusive ready-made crossover component packages for people who burn out or want to upgrade their crossovers and do the work themselves... The soldering and such is not a huge deal but tracking down the component specs and suppliers, and purchasing everything on the boards separately seems daunting
  • F1nut
    All that information is here on the forum.

President of Club Polk

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    I guess that was the wild-wild west when
    polk was assembling components as improvements / alternatives were being researched/found. Do you think my having the BE-2200B crossover or 8.4 caps in my 2.3TL's compromised the setup / sound in any way?

Someone should put together all-inclusive ready-made crossover component packages for people who burn out or want to upgrade their crossovers and do the work themselves... The soldering and such is not a huge deal but tracking down the component specs and suppliers, and purchasing everything on the boards separately seems daunting

This should be what you are looking for. I would just get 8uf caps to replace the 8.4's.

The inductors are special order. These are the correct ones. You will need two of each. The provided links are the only place I could find that can get them.

https://hificollective.co.uk/catalog/000-0819-1-75mh-jantzen-air-core-wire-coil.html

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/000-0818-0-875mh-jantzen-air-core-wire-coil.html

https://hificollective.co.uk/catalog/000-1489-04mh-jantzen-air-core-wire-coil.html

https://hificollective.co.uk/catalog/000-1452-0-30mh-jantzen-air-core-wire-coil.html

I doubt you'll need the big 16.0mH inductors that the board mounts to.

This link will show the capacitors and resistors. It is also where you get the new circuit boards that are larger to fit the upgraded components.

gimpod.com/parts23tl.html

Here is the schematic.

gimpod.com/pdfs/SDA_SRS_2.3TL_Schematic.pdf

If you want them already built westmassguy is who you need to contact, he sources and supplies the parts for his builds.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• I'd like to thank you guys for the help... TNTsTunes, the links are just what I needed to solve the mysterious and elusive sourcing - I just now need to determine if I have the time or will hire the job out to westmassguy. wondering what he would charge to revamp the current boards. I understand the beauty and spaciousness of a newly designed board, but I'm not averse to piggybacking on the small real estate of the originals. If he sees this perhaps he will pm me. Anyone else here have the 2.3tl's? Like them much??? I looooved mine before I blew them to hell. Wondering how they compare with the mighty 1.2TL's... will check the boards to see if the comparison opinions are there too - modded and unmodded... but just thought I'd ask
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    I'd like to thank you guys for the help... TNTsTunes, the links are just what I needed to solve the mysterious and elusive sourcing - I just now need to determine if I have the time or will hire the job out to westmassguy. wondering what he would charge to revamp the current boards. I understand the beauty and spaciousness of a newly designed board, but I'm not averse to piggybacking on the small real estate of the originals. If he sees this perhaps he will pm me. Anyone else here have the 2.3tl's? Like them much??? I looooved mine before I blew them to hell. Wondering how they compare with the mighty 1.2TL's... will check the boards to see if the comparison opinions are there too - modded and unmodded... but just thought I'd ask

@westmassguy I believe he is looking for you.

Many feel 2.3TL's are the best sounding speaker Polk ever made, better then 1.2TL's.

Modded 2.3TL's sound even better.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    Contact Dave thru his business email and he will give you quotes on what you want done.http://www.dhsspeakerservice.com/About-Us-1.html He did both my 1.2tl's and my 2.3tl's and he used my stock boards.If I would of had the money at the time I would of went with the gimpod boards.Some prefer the 2.3's over the 1.2's.It all depends on what size room and your seating position.I love them both. :)
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    I'd like to thank you guys for the help... TNTsTunes, the links are just what I needed to solve the mysterious and elusive sourcing - I just now need to determine if I have the time or will hire the job out to westmassguy. wondering what he would charge to revamp the current boards. I understand the beauty and spaciousness of a newly designed board, but I'm not averse to piggybacking on the small real estate of the originals. If he sees this perhaps he will pm me. Anyone else here have the 2.3tl's? Like them much??? I looooved mine before I blew them to hell. Wondering how they compare with the mighty 1.2TL's... will check the boards to see if the comparison opinions are there too - modded and unmodded... but just thought I'd ask

Seeing how hot those boards got you may not have a choice but replace them! If they were mine I wouldn't trust those boards or any component on them.

I'm not trying to sell you a pair of my boards (But hey you know you want them! :wink::wink: ) if you decide to stick with stock boards I would start looking for another set of used crossovers, Nice thing here is seeing how you only need the bare boards you can use any of the Gen 4 or 5 SDA crossovers as long as there a single board style they could be from any of the following SDAs: SDA 2B/CRS+, SDA 1C, SDA SRS 2 (1987 Pin/Blade), SDA SRS 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3, SDA SRS 2.3TL, SDA SRS 1.2 or SDA SRS 1.2TL. You could PM @westmassguy and see if he has any used ones laying around or put up a WTB add. Although in the end it would most likely be easier to just buy the new boards. As I try an old Jedi mind trick (You know you want them :wink::wink: ).
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    New boards. The caps are much larger, the new inductors more than likely will be a little larger. Space gets very tight fast. Do it once do it right.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Agree. @gimpod 's boards are really nice! Just updated my 1C XO's with em.

BTW Tony - where have you been? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Thanks guys - @gimpod, I feel the force... so the board itself can incur damage that may not be obviously visible? dkfreebird, you have BOTH 1.2tl's and 2.3tl's? Both Modded out??? Jealousssssss... same-ish caps etc? I would love to hear a side by side through the same amp, same song, and just flip the speaker selector switch back and forth... now that would be an honest and fun comparison!
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    edited March 2018
    Get the gimpod boards and start fresh. I do have both of them with the same upgrades except one has Larry’s rings and the other has hurricane nuts. I picked up the 2.3tl’s first and never really had them in the proper space. I sold my pool table to get the setup I have now and will move the 2.3’s there sometime but it is a pain to move them around and not make the significant other perturbed. :# I still have a pair of 3.1tl’s in the closet waiting their turn. :p
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    @davescopeman I have Tony's excellent boards, and salvaged boards. You will have to transfer any re-usable components over. That .3mh inductor is definitely cooked. Is the other board in similar condition?
    @TNTsTunes was kind enough to list the replacement inductors. It would be wise to order all new inductors, or at least the small value bobbins.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    gimpod wrote: »

Seeing how hot those boards got you may not have a choice but replace them! If they were mine I wouldn't trust those boards or any component on them.

I'm not trying to sell you a pair of my boards (But hey you know you want them! :wink::wink: ) if you decide to stick with stock boards I would start looking for another set of used crossovers, Nice thing here is seeing how you only need the bare boards you can use any of the Gen 4 or 5 SDA crossovers as long as there a single board style they could be from any of the following SDAs: SDA 2B/CRS+, SDA 1C, SDA SRS 2 (1987 Pin/Blade), SDA SRS 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3, SDA SRS 2.3TL, SDA SRS 1.2 or SDA SRS 1.2TL. You could PM @westmassguy and see if he has any used ones laying around or put up a WTB add. Although in the end it would most likely be easier to just buy the new boards. As I try an old Jedi mind trick (You know you want them :wink::wink: ).

No Jedi mind tricks allowed, I'm telling.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    Jedi mind tricks indeed cast a wider spell than you know,,,,,,,,,

Installed 194s to replace the incorrect 198s that were in my 2.3s, which are not TL.
    After 2 weeks they've settled in, or, I've got used to them.
    Better detail on mid highs, voices are better balanced. I can appreciate that the 198s are a tad more musical,slightly brighter on the highs, but the overall effect is noticeably improved now that the tweeters are matched to the XOs.

Thanks to all on these forums, the input on all fronts is much appreciated,
    and my system is sounding better and better.
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work