Getting new windows on Monday..

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
edited March 2018 in The Clubhouse
So Window World is putting new windows in our house on Monday, never had this done, can’t say I’m not a little nervous, but the old windows are shot and need to go..

Hoping for a clean installation.. 19 windows and a Sliding glass door for the patio..

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    What kind are you replacing?
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    The old aluminum frame style..
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    Never put them in before till I got my 50's ranch. Spent about half a day getting the swing of the first one to install. The rest were a breeze after that. I guess the only thing is I'd wanna make sure they seal them good.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    I'm sure a reputable replacement window company will do a good job.

Long story short, in 2005 I replaced all the windows in my house, which was built in 1999. I was replacing all the siding, since I had built an addition and wanted everything to match. Cheap, builder-grade siding and windows, so I figured it was the right thing to do. I was surprised (but not really surprised) to find that none of the windows were sealed in the least - some had gaps of nearly an inch on each side. Some windows were only fastened with a total of 4 drywall screws! Some builders do shoddy work when they think no one will see it.

I'd just check in on them as they're installing the first window, and then inspect each as it's completed. Good luck with the install!
  • charley95
    Options
    I'd request spray foam specific for doors and windows. Mine are air tight around the edges.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    Had 17 windows replaced in 2010 - was completed in a day. They took out all windows before installing any. Be prepared for some minor paint/drywall repair on the interior.
    [
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    You use “low expansion” foam at windows/doors to prevent the jambs from bowing.

Just replaced 14 windows at my own house a couple of months ago. Easy peasy because i was doing the siding at the same time so i know they are installed/flashed correctly.

Are they going new construction or replacement?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    You use “low expansion” foam at windows/doors to prevent the jambs from bowing.
    Correct. I have seen plenty of double-hung windows that couldn't be opened (or closed) because of overzealous air sealing. But don't get me wrong: The benefits of air-sealing are huge, regardless of climate.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    It’s windy as hell today, I thought for sure they would cancel, nope they said they were loading the truck, and on their way.. I really don’t see them getting on the roof..

Guess we will see...
  • charley95
    Options
    Good luck! Will you be around to supervise installation?
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    Good luck! Will you be around to supervise installation?

Yes, I took two days off for this..
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    Dont be afraid to out a large square and level to the windows before they finish....nothing worse than out of square windows. I hate people working on my house...
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    They are doing a pretty d*** good job, what a difference, the old windows have been in here since 91, they were in pretty bad shape.

I wanted to do this last summer, but of course more important things came up..

I’m pretty stoked watching this take place..
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Pics, or it didn't happen.
  • stainless0steel2
    stainless0steel2 Posts: 193
    edited March 2018
    Options
    So that's why you didn't show up yesterday. I just figured you were off playing hooky. :p
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors