Just bought SDA 2B couple of questions

Options
good_apollo
good_apollo Posts: 54
edited February 2018 in Speakers
hello everybody, first time posting.

ok, so I came across a set of polk sda2 possibly the b model. silver/clear tweeter, fabric panel sides and front. on the identification page I came across it said real wood top, but im fairly certain its not real wood. anyhow, the speakers themselves are in perfect working condition, this was my first experience listening to any sda product, and they sound great. the cabinets need a little love and I plan to replace the grill cloth on the front and sides which should be pretty easy.

to the questions,

1. if the speakers are currently working well, should I bother with the crossover rebuild right away, or just order the recommended tweeter upgrades?
2. the only mechanical problem there appears to be with them is one of the speaker terminals has snapped off halfway, so a banana plug cannot be used, but I was able to fashion a way to screw down the wire using a plastic nut from a newer polk speaker.
where would I get a replacement speaker terminal plate, or can just one of the terminal plugs be replaced?
3. lastly, and ill probably get roasted or this, but anyway.
I use a proamp to power my mains, always have. I don't have the cash to spend $1k plus on an "audiophile grade amp" and I have never had a problem with the sound quality. question is, I see that you are supposed to use a common ground amp when using the interlink cable, and I honestly have no idea what that is. I am currently using a behringer km1700 (was going to buy a crown but a friend had a discount with behinger) and I haven't yet connected the interlink cable because of this. anybody know if proamps are usually common ground o not?

thanks in advance for any replies.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Answers

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Welcome @good_apollo ! A lot of folks perform the upgrades incrementally. New tweeters is a great first step. I just did the same on my 2Bs. Dramatic improvement.

Speaker terminals you can get on line. Price varies from inexpensive to crazy, depending on your desire and budget.

I know a lot of Polkies will opine on your amp choice. You are a brave dude!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • good_apollo
    Options
    thanks for the reply,
    so I should be able to pull just the one bad binding post and replace it then? would you recommend replacing all 4 at the same time?
  • good_apollo
    Options
    thanks for the reply,
    so I should be able to pull just the one bad binding post and replace it then? would you recommend replacing all 4 at the same time?
  • good_apollo
    Options
    sorry for the double post
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    OR maybe one of us has a spare we could part with since many switch them out for better.
    post a picture of the post's lets see if someone has one to send. I do have the older style ribbed nut, newer are hexagonal nut. real simple peel off hot melt glue unscrew put on new re-screw apply hot melt glue. boom done.
  • good_apollo
    Options
    I didn't think about that, thanks for the input. ill upload a pic once I get home from work.
  • good_apollo
    Options
    also, looks like in order to use the interconnect cable, im gonna need a new amp. mine is not common ground.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    It is real wood, nice thick wood veneer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    also, looks like in order to use the interconnect cable, im gonna need a new amp. mine is not common ground.

That's good, it'll get you away from that nasty Behringer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• good_apollo
    Options
    lol, hey now. I like my behinger, it sounds great. I don't think I could ever justify going back to "home audio" power amps. there is just no noticeable improvement in sound for the extra cost. for me at least. will probably get a crown that is common ground, but that's for a different thread. :)
  • verb
    Options
    lol, hey now. I like my behinger, it sounds great. I don't think I could ever justify going back to "home audio" power amps. there is just no noticeable improvement in sound for the extra cost. for me at least. will probably get a crown that is common ground, but that's for a different thread. :)

Don’t Polk the Bear! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    thanks for the reply,

If you’re staying the same, I would just replace the one. Good thought on Polkies having extras. Maybe some Karma for you is in order. One thing I’ve learned is that most Polkies are hoarders!

Tonight when I get home I’ll post what I chose for my binding post upgrade.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options

I bought my B&K for $250. There's plenty of used home audio amps that are common ground and inexpensive that would be much better for your application.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
  • good_apollo
    Options
    thanks verb, I appreciate it.
  • verb
    Options
    Hey @bikerboy has your backpanel parts and a bunch of other 2B parts in the FS Classified. Check em out!
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    Options
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180844/fs-parts-for-sda-ii-single-t
    Hey this is a great start on hot rod parts for your SDA II
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    If I read your your post right you said lastly you were happy w/ the sound but had no idea what the i/c cable was an didn't connect it. If that's true then your missing out on the whole SDA (sound) idea already and just have plain speakers that need a bit of work. I would make sure your Behinger or Crown was common ground and then connect the i/c cable and make sure right spk is on the right and left is on the left w/ the spacing as it should be or close enough. The mods can come in increments and if it were me and I did go through this. 1st replace/fix broken terminal binding post ,then worry about the tweeters again either by a friendly Polkster or buy a set from Polk direct. For your amp, I went w/ an Adcom $300 all day long and that was about 11 years ago now. many makes w/150-200wpc for not so much cash if those others of yours don't work out. (I checked an have no terminal cups or binders)....Lew
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • good_apollo
    Options
    @leftwinger57 thanks for the input. I wasn't sure if the amp was common ground or not so I didn't want to mess any thing up. reached out to the manufacturer and it is not a common ground amp. so I am looking for a new amp. adcom gfs555 was on the list, or a new crown xls 2002 which im told is a common ground, but need to make sure. ive never had any complaints using a pro amp for sound but some people are not a fan. thank you for checking on the terminal cups, im just going to upgrade the posts to some that were recommended to me.
    tweeters are definitely getting replaced, these speakers sound excellent at low to mid volume, but start getting shrill at higher levels.