My Newest - SDA-2BVs for $75/Pair.

CGTIII
CGTIII Posts: 1,022
edited February 2018 in Vintage Speakers
CL listing about an hour away from me in rural North Georgia. Seller sounded solid. Picked them up tonight. Hand carried them to vehicle and transported on their sides to prevent magnet shift.

Seller was the original owner who worked IT for the Buckhead HiFi Buys in the 80-90s. :smile:
Family is moving and clearing house.

Moderate cabinet scratches. Grills in decent shape. Two grill pins broken off. Three of the four voice coil covers dented. Cabinets tight.
Pin/blade I/C included as well as about 40 feet of 10/2 Monster Cable!

Sound very nice.
Very pleased! :smiley:
Will probably upgrade at some point.
Girlfriend and friends starting to think I need intervention. LOLZ
Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
Post edited by CGTIII on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    For future reference, transporting them on their sides is the worst way. On their backs is best.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CGTIII
    Oops. Thank you.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited February 2018
    Glad to help. Also, they are just SDA 2B's, no V. Nice speakers that respond very well to the usual mods and the TL mod.

What will you drive them with?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CGTIII
    edited February 2018
    Seller called them 2BVs. You know best.
    Will use my Yamaha RX-V671 with them for now. I'm sure that won't achieve their potential but I don't have an audiophile budget at the moment. They sounded nice even on his 30-year old mid-level Yammy. At that price, and with full functionality, I didn't take time for critical listening. :smiley:

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Very nice score. 2b's are great speakers. You could upgrade the tweeters to RDO194's from Polk which is a drop in replacement & they will sound alot better IMO.
    Randy/Maine
  • Glad you got them!! Being in Marietta, I saw them on CL for that wonderful low price.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Congrats! We also thought the 2B's were a big step up for us years ago but I noticed that after long listening sessions something didn't seem right...almost irritating. The 194 tweets solved that problem. If/when you update the crossovers and provide decent current with a good amp your smile will get even bigger :)
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    CGTIII wrote: »
    CL listing about an hour away from me in rural North Georgia. Seller sounded solid. Picked them up tonight. Hand carried them to vehicle and transported on their sides to prevent magnet shift.

Seller was the original owner who worked IT for the Buckhead HiFi Buys in the 80-90s. :smile:
    Family is moving and clearing house.

Moderate cabinet scratches. Grills in decent shape. Two grill pins broken off. Three of the four voice coil covers dented. Cabinets tight.
    Pin/blade I/C included as well as about 40 feet of 10/2 Monster Cable!

Sound very nice.
    Very pleased! :smiley:
    Will probably upgrade at some point.
    Girlfriend and friends starting to think I need intervention. LOLZ

Congrats! I ran 2Bs until a few days ago. Upgraded to 1Cs. I loved the 2Bs! Only mod I did was the recommended tweeter upgrade. What a difference! Have fun on your journey!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • CGTIII
    @muncybob - But, but Yamaha says this is a high current amp! :smile: It's all relative right?

• I love my 2Bs! They are on "vacation" as the crossovers are being upgraded right now, counting down the days until I get to plug them in again and experience the difference of sonicaps.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • CGTIII
    @BlueBirdMusic - Thank you. At that price, when he confirmed he had interconnect cable and all drivers worked, I scheduled with him ASAP. :smiley:
    Helped that I live in Acworth too, though that evening I was coming from Peachtree Corners.

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    CGTIII wrote: »
    @muncybob - But, but Yamaha says this is a high current amp! :smile: It's all relative right?

What does high current mean if the manufacturer can't put a number on it? I was running them from a RX-V avr also but when put into a dedicated 2 channel system using a modestly powered Parasound HCA1000 it was night & day. Added a tubed pre and now I'm content but looking for more juice when the right amp comes up for sale. You just don't know what you don't know.

Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • CGTIII
    I know there might be a slight ding in sound quality, but is there any harm in connecting the 2Bs w/ I/C through a Niles SLV-4 speaker selector as long as no other speakers are on at the same time as the 2Bs? That wouldn't introduce a grounding problem would it?

• boston1450
    If it was me I would hook SDA speakers directly to amplifier/receiver. Not sure if id use a selector with a speaker that size. Especially with the power they need. Too much in the chain may not be such a good idea
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    If your receiver has A&B try hooking the SDA's to A & use B to your selector for other speakers that may be more flexible
    Randy/Maine
  • CGTIII
    @boston1450 - No A-B, but that gave me an idea. Perhaps this would make the 2Bs usable at modest levels until adding a 2B-capable amp.

The RX-V671 has bi-amp. To use the 2Bs without going through the switch, I could put the other speakers on the primary through the selector switch and the 2Bs on the secondary directly. Unless the receiver objects to not having a load on the primary with bi-amp on, turning off all the speakers on the switch with bi-amp on = 2B only. Turning off bi-amp, I could then use any combination that didn't include the 2Bs.

Do also plan to RDO them soon. Thanks for the suggestions guys!