Polk Signature Series 55 inquiry

Options
Hey, Kids. I have a question related to the new pair of Polk Signature Series 55's I have sitting in my living room. Before I get to the question, these replaced a pair of T50's, and the difference is night-and-day. I have spent the past few days watching my familiar blu-ray collection, picking up sounds I didn't realize were there. These things are incredible, and the only reason I didn't go with the 60's is I have a pair of subs, thus the extra bass wasn't necessary.

That said, my inquiry has to do with the hook-up option on these new 55's. Obviously one can utilize a single wire per speaker. However, there is an "extra" pair of connections on the speakers. According to Polk, they recommend running another pair of wires to each speaker, which means there would be two wires per side. Now, I get the concept, especially as it relates to a bi-amp hookup, which makes sense. However, since I am running an Onkyo receiver, is there a noticable difference when running two wires per side instead of using the supplied jumpers? I am aware the thing to do is try it out for myself, but I didn't want to waste my time and effort if there isn't much difference in doing so. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,602
    Options
    At the risk of over-simplifying the answer to your question, I would suggest that you keep using things exactly as you have them now, with your speaker wires connected to the bottom set of posts, and the stock jumpers in place.

Others may chime in with more information or advanced answers.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    At the risk of over-simplifying the answer to your question, I would suggest that you keep using things exactly as you have them now, with your speaker wires connected to the bottom set of posts, and the stock jumpers in place.

Others may chime in with more information or advanced answers.
    I like to connect mine to the top posts, with the jumpers in place. ;)
    If anything, replace the stock jumpers with some upgraded jumpers, or short pieces of quality speaker cable. With decent amplification and cables, you should just really forget about bi- anything. Any real benefits would only come after spending a whole lot more money than those pretty nice speakers are worth. Enjoy! :)
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    That is a big no, no to bi-amp bi-wire speakers. Get some nice Fuez 10awg from Doug http://douglasconnection.com/Furez-10-AWG-2-Conductor-Speaker-Cable-Raw-FZ102.htm order extra to replace the brass jumpers with.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • dralan
    Options
    I really appreciate the input regarding my little inquiry. On the surface, looking at it logically, it just didn't seem like there would be any difference in running an additional set of wires, especially when utilizing jumpers accomplished the same end. From what you guys are saying, the best option is to replace the brass jumpers with high-quality speaker cable, or a better set of jumpers, as opposed to the brass jumpers supplied by Polk.

I am happier than a lark that I don't need to pull everything off of the shelf, re-connect the wires, to include running parallel wires to the extra set of posts. Thanks for your assistance... I REALLY appreciate it.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Exactly, if you feel the upgrade itch in the future, it would be more meaningful to upgrade your speaker wire, and then use the same wire to create jumpers to use instead of the stock brass metal jumpers.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, hope you stick around!
    dralan wrote: »
    I really appreciate the input regarding my little inquiry. On the surface, looking at it logically, it just didn't seem like there would be any difference in running an additional set of wires, especially when utilizing jumpers accomplished the same end. From what you guys are saying, the best option is to replace the brass jumpers with high-quality speaker cable, or a better set of jumpers, as opposed to the brass jumpers supplied by Polk.

I am happier than a lark that I don't need to pull everything off of the shelf, re-connect the wires, to include running parallel wires to the extra set of posts. Thanks for your assistance... I REALLY appreciate it.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Here’s my suggestion...

Cross connect across the binding posts. One on top and another on bottom.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Nobody ever told you not to cross the streams?
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Here’s my suggestion...

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nobody ever told you not to cross the streams?
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Here’s my suggestion...

Hahahahahaha

No but seriously.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound