Not basic, noise floor?

Options
Any tweaks out there beyond power cables. I am using power cables to keep the noise in? Anyway down the road I will do dedicated circuits but for now I am thinking about "noise harvesters" and such. What have all tried with good results?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Are you using Wireworld power cables? Those have construction geometry inside them that automatically reduce EMI/RF and lower the noise floor.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    @Clipdat I am gonna put them on my HT rig,just have one in there so far. The two channel is already wired up.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Which power cords are you using for your Ampino Monos?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @Clipdat I am gonna put them on my HT rig,just have one in there so far. The two channel is already wired up.

• afterburnt
    edited February 2018
    Options
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Cool, what lengths did you get?
    @Clipdat Stratus

• afterburnt
    Options
    @Clipdat dunno, mostly 2 ampters some maybe shorter
  • afterburnt
    Options
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Nope. Just thought they looked interesting/cool.
    @Clipdat you runnin those?

• codycatalist
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    iFi has a new item similar to those that I've been considering trying:

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ac-ipurifier/

Between this and the iTube2, I've been on the verge of placing another order with them.

That itube2 looks VERY interesting and not too expensive. I might have to pick one up soon.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Options
    You are hardcore!
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I have that also, in addition to harvesters.

• Joey_V
    Options
    I am thoroughly impressed by the Torus RM15. It truly works at removing noise. The system sounds so clean now. More than ever. I am checking for dynamic limitations, however.

Basically, no # of harvesters can do what this guy did. I have a dimmable light in my stereo room, if it is not off or on fully, there is a buzzing noise i can here through the speakers. with the Torus, for the first time, it was no longer there.

One thing I did not check was whether it was still there with the P5 I had before. Shoot... I shouldve checked.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

Can someone tell me how this works? I am not familiar with anything in electronics that can "suck up" high frequency distortion when wired anywhere in your house and parallel to an audio circuit.

Also, how does the overvoltage protection work? When it senses overvoltage does it internally short and trip the main breaker? Again I don't see how this can pull enough amps thru a 15/20 amp circuit (in parallel) to drop the voltage in your supply line.

I read everything on their site. They were totally vague and there was no explanation of anything.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    That above was a gift from a local audiophile friend to me, I have played with it some and I thought it did something to the sound, I will play with it again and report back. It’s been plugged in since.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    Basically, no # of harvesters can do what this guy did. I have a dimmable light in my stereo room, if it is not off or on fully, there is a buzzing noise i can here through the speakers. with the Torus, for the first time, it was no longer there.

One thing I did not check was whether it was still there with the P5 I had before. Shoot... I shouldve checked.

Joey aren’t you running dedicated circuit(s) for your system? If not you should make the investment.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how this works? I am not familiar with anything in electronics that can "suck up" high frequency distortion when wired anywhere in your house and parallel to an audio circuit.

I was thinking a little more about my previous post and did think of a way this might work...... Is it the same principle as in a low pass crossover?

What would happen if you put a small (picofarad or less?) capacitor between the hot and neutral of the AC plug? This should pass all high frequency "noise" to ground and not pass any 60 Hz signal (the AC power). And like in a low pass crossover the capacitor is parallel to the device (speaker). This means it can be plugged in next to the outlet.

Is that all these things are?

I might be totally off here so don't try this at home kids. I won't either unless someone with a lot of electronics experience can confirm if this will work (or confirms this will burn down my house)

• afterburnt
    Options
    iFi has a new item similar to those that I've been considering trying:

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ac-ipurifier/

Between this and the iTube2, I've been on the verge of placing another order with them.

That itube2 looks VERY interesting and not too expensive. I might have to pick one up soon.

I did a tour of the itube for a while. The 2 is supposed to be one of their best products and a substantial upgrade over the original. I've considered this product for my lower priced solid state systems.

Looks interesting, what's it?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »

Joey aren’t you running dedicated circuit(s) for your system? If not you should make the investment.

Yep I have dedicated. Still noisy apparently.