Any Road Bikers out there?

Options

Comments

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Nice pictures! How do you like the disc brake road bike?

I was a bike mechanic in the late 80's- early 90's before they became widespread on ATB's. I've been out of it for years and have been trying to wrap my head around them being used for a road bike. Back in the day Campagnolo Record brakes and pads were the most awesome powerful fade free brakes out there. Enough stopping power for a 225lbs rider on a heavy steel bike.

I wonder what has changed with caliper brakes these days compared to the top brakes from yesteryear? Plus how do the disc brakes benefit road riders on todays light bikes? I've been looking at some of the disc brake larger tire bikes myself. The roads are a little rough here in NW Indiana and I'm a little heavier then I was when I was a really active cyclist. I'm trying to get back on the bike.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Me and my friends ride mountain bikes, which I know is not the same thing, but I have the brakes that clamp down on the rim of the wheel (it was my dads bike 25 years ago) and it stops pretty well, but my friend let me try their new bike with disk brakes and I nearly ate it in the middle of the road. I’ve never stopped so fast on a bike before. And now my bike seems slow. But that’s better than being thrown into a tree, I guess... or maybe I could just get used to it. But what fun is that?
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Nice pictures! How do you like the disc brake road bike?

I was a bike mechanic in the late 80's- early 90's before they became widespread on ATB's. I've been out of it for years and have been trying to wrap my head around them being used for a road bike. Back in the day Campagnolo Record brakes and pads were the most awesome powerful fade free brakes out there. Enough stopping power for a 225lbs rider on a heavy steel bike.

I wonder what has changed with caliper brakes these days compared to the top brakes from yesteryear? Plus how do the disc brakes benefit road riders on todays light bikes? I've been looking at some of the disc brake larger tire bikes myself. The roads are a little rough here in NW Indiana and I'm a little heavier then I was when I was a really active cyclist. I'm trying to get back on the bike.

I LOVE my disc brakes on my bikes!

Better stopping, modulation and fade resistance.

On top of that, I guess even wheel designers love disc brakes. They can build a rim that's lighter, more aero dynamic and stronger since they are not forced to design around a brake track.

GCN did a pretty cool, non-scientific look at stopping distance for both rim and disc brakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHFSSXOSnxs

I also like that I can easily match my riding needs to how I want to set up my brakes. If I expect to do a lot of descending and possibly over heat my disc, I can easily and fairly inexpensively swap on larger rotors and enjoy better prolonged, high speed braking.

On my Niner Air 9 RDO XC bike, I run 160mm rotors and I have never had an issue. On my road/gravel Niner BSB 9 RDO, I run 140mm rotors and even in Colorado, I never had an issue with brake fade. IF the weather was warmer in the Vail area, like 80*+, I probably would have swapped on 160mm rotors to help keep the brakes cool. But I was riding in 45-50* weather and my rotors are designed to dump heat.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I run discs on all my bikes except the Kestral Talon. The pads and disc are serviceable items. Lot's of choices out there including super lightweight offerings. Mechanical discs are so-so, hydraulics will make you do an endo if you're not careful!

Plus, I always hated the rim brakes as to what they make the wheels look like (scratches, etc.) after some time.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • WLDock
    Options
    I've been digging some of the Specialized Roubaix bikes with the disc. I'll need to save more pennies, LOL!

00Y0Y_kQVbIn3KpLT_600x450.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    Don’t know how I missed this one. This is my felt fr5 with Mavic kysrium wheels

n0wmk8npqbqv.jpeg
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • verb
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    The first time I ever flew, I moved from Vermont to Sarasota, Florida in 1982. My airfare was $69 and it cost me an extra $5 for the huge box with my bike in it. :p

So where did you put the bike? :smile:
    wux2x7b9mg2b.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    So where did you put the bike? :smile:
    In the overhead bin with my canoe and telephone pole, silly! :p
  • stangman67
    Options
    Road the felt to work today! 30 miles round trip. Really awesome little bike for a relatively low cost

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Saw one of these knock off pinarello/chinarello at the shop.... they look pretty incredible...

n8w4puqmtkab.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    The spacers under the stem crack me up.

dead give away that someone is just riding the wrong frame.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I love these bike threads. It's fun seeing how many of us are bike (and other similar hobby) obsessed.

I had the same idea about traveling with my bike after realizing that it's probably one of the best ways to get out and tour a place. Walking is just too slow. Car rental is just too cumbersome and constrained.

I ended up buying one of those cheesy "Team Bike Case"s years ago from Performance/Bike Nashbar to try out. I used it a couple of times, yes, coupled with Southwest's cheap flights and excellent policy on checked luggage. Thing worked great! I did the same as you, Max, with the disassembly and padding, only I just used pipe insulation and twine. I forget what I did to separate and protect the wheels. There might be a separator of some sort in there, can't remember. Really doesn't take much to get it ready to pack after you do it a couple of times. A few basic bike tools, etc. for breakdown and build up. Don't forget the pump! I let the air out of my tires. Not sure how much difference it makes, high altitude, and all. Packed a set of street tires and a Quik Stik tire lever...

I was looking to see if I had some photos of my bike at the time, broken down packed and prepped for the trip, but I don't seem to have any. I recall being in a hurry that last trip not sure I was going to make it to the airport on time.

This case is about $300 with rollers. I don't know how you guys managed a bike through an airport with plain boxes without wheels!

Stashed in the attic for now. I'll remove that cheesy logo before my next trip...

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/team-bike-case-na-tmbc-base
    wd3cyp5sc3mk.png

Looks like there's a better version, too.
    https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/pro-bike-case-na-prbc-base
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    This time of year most of the tourists, spring training baseball groupies, snow birds and spring breakers have left SW FL. Some really nice bike paths on Sanibel and Captiva Islands....Hope to do that soon.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    Options

• WLDock
    Options
    Saw one of these knock off pinarello/chinarello at the shop.... they look pretty incredible...
    n8w4puqmtkab.png
    That's a great looking knock off.!
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    2013 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1, mostly Shimano components and full carbon fiber frame/fork, light and easy to ride. Was looking for a Gran Fondo configuration to enable longer distances and CF to absorb the road and help w/a bit of carpal tunnel in my right arm. Compared the Fuji w/a similar Specialized at the time, which I really wanted, but the Fuji was priced right. I ride for enjoyment and exercise with a typical distance of 30-70 km's (18-42 miles).

Pics from my ride, yesterday, in the famous Nahe, Germany, wine region. Flowers and trees are in full bloom! Trail head is approximately 10 miles from my home and its one of my favorite treks through vineyards and farm fields. Anyone stationed over here in years past may remember the now closed Army Post in Bad Kreuznach. Pics taken due west of there. German bike trails are awesome...well marked, often paved and safe from traffic. Wife's getting reassigned stateside in a few months and we'll miss this.

ao5qcrn8ddx5.jpg1zvaussmch60.jpg
    ej64d8p6tocj.jpg
    pnfv9z9hws45.jpg
    s11ynf72xslv.jpg
    1kmnqxyg0wqq.jpg
    vhtmx0njq44u.jpg
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • JayCee
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    This is my felt fr5 with Mavic kysrium wheels
    n0wmk8npqbqv.jpeg

@stangman67 Wow, took me a bit to find your rear brake. First time I've seen "direct mount caliper". Googled and looked at Felt's site. Interesting. Nice bike.

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • stangman67
    Options
    Not a big fan of the BB brake as it attracts muck like no other, but dealing with that is no big deal. Overall a fantastic bike

• JayCee
    Options
    A few years back I moved from caliper to disk brakes on an old K2 mountain bike. Did a lot of mud riding and it was so much better....I understand "muck".

I wondered about the BB brake when I saw your mounting point. My initial thought was how in the heck does it stay clean. I have internally routed cables on my Fuji and they exit under the crank and reenter the frame. I have to ensure they are clean more often than not. Also, would really like to have disks. I do a fair amount of riding in wet weather.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Florida is very F L A T and brakes don't seem very important.... at least to me... we have no hills but we have wind that sometimes is 15-20 in your face. Nice when it's at your back

• Upstatemax
    Options
    Went to a local flow trail this past weekend with a buddy and had a blast.

It was nice to be able to toss the Air 9 around a bit more get back into more technical trail riding.

Now I want a 27.5+ full suspension bike.

Haha.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Went to a local flow trail this past weekend with a buddy and had a blast.

It was nice to be able to toss the Air 9 around a bit more get back into more technical trail riding.

Now I want a 27.5+ full suspension bike.

Haha.

I want a Pony Rustler pretty bad. Hard to swing the price tag right now, so I'll just keep on with my Stache.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • stangman67
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    A few years back I moved from caliper to disk brakes on an old K2 mountain bike. Did a lot of mud riding and it was so much better....I understand "muck".

I wondered about the BB brake when I saw your mounting point. My initial thought was how in the heck does it stay clean. I have internally routed cables on my Fuji and they exit under the crank and reenter the frame. I have to ensure they are clean more often than not. Also, would really like to have disks. I do a fair amount of riding in wet weather.

I considered a Gran Fondo when I was shopping. Couldn't pass up a 17 pound carbon bike for 1400 though :) I've put 150 miles on it in the last week. More to come

This is my mountain bike that doesn't get nearly enough use. 650b, 150/130 travel

j4ypfq5akot0.jpg

• Upstatemax
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »

I want a Pony Rustler pretty bad. Hard to swing the price tag right now, so I'll just keep on with my Stache.

I’m looking at the Niner Jet 9’s way too much right now...

The only way I could justify it right now would be to sell the Air 9 and funnel my new amp $$ into the bike.

I HATE BUDGETS!
  • verb
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »

I’m looking at the Niner Jet 9’s way too much right now...

The only way I could justify it right now would be to sell the Air 9 and funnel my new amp $$ into the bike.

I HATE BUDGETS!

I love Salsa's! I have a Dos Niner and a Mukluk!
  • WLDock
    edited April 2018
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Not a big fan of the BB brake as it attracts muck like no other, but dealing with that is no big deal. Overall a fantastic bike
    Man, when I worked at a bike shop back in the 80's-90's the top ATB bikes used to have caliper brakes there. I remember asking why? It didn't make sense to me for an off road bike. It's supposed to have a little better stopping power. I guess?

• stangman67
    Options
    The main reason they are used in road bikes is for better aero capabilities (ie on tri and time trial bikes). Felt used them on this model to eliminate the need for a brake bridge across the seat stays and therefore enabling the seatstays to be more compliant.

• verb
    Options
    Agree. I'm reminded of one of my favorite designs. Giant MCR.
    sap7zt04bek7.png
  • Upstatemax
    Options
    I’m a weak man...

I just pulled the trigger on a left over Niner Jet 9 RDO 27.5+

Too good of a price and way to much fun to not buy it!
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I’m a weak man...

I just pulled the trigger on a left over Niner Jet 9 RDO 27.5+

Too good of a price and way to much fun to not buy it!
    Congrats, I'm jealous, and just remember. You deserve that new bike.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2