Yet another thread for cartridge recommendation

Options
Sumerian
Sumerian Posts: 490
edited February 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello guys.
I was planning to pull trigger on plx 1000 and would need your help to get a cartridge and phono

As always greatly appreciate your help.

Based on what i read shure and ortofon seems to be a safe bet.
I was looking for something below 300$ and doesn't elevate surface noise.
Am i correct in assuming higher end models like ortofon black elevate surface noise?
I am planning to listen mostly jazz with little bit of pop and rock.
Post edited by Sumerian on

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Get a DENON DL103

299.00. Read the reviews online.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Ortofon vs. Shure is kindof like a titanium tweeter vs. a silk dome tweeter.

Yes, the Ortofon can pick up more surface noise under certain circumstances, or with records that are in less than ideal condition. It's also more revealing in that regard, because it's giving you more of what's there and not sugar coating it.

The Shure is like a silk dome tweeter in that it's very pleasant, smooth, and musical. Not the last word on detail and overall resolution though.

Choosing a cartridge is pretty personal and comes down to what genre of music you like, what condition the records are in that you'll be playing, your budget, and your sensibilities and tastes when it comes to what "sounds good" to you.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Ortofon vs. Shure is kindof like a titanium tweeter vs. a silk dome tweeter.

Yes, the Ortofon can pick up more surface noise under certain circumstances, or with records that are in less than ideal condition. It's also more revealing in that regard, because it's giving you more of what's there and not sugar coating it.

The Shure is like a silk dome tweeter in that it's very pleasant, smooth, and musical. Not the last word on detail and overall resolution though.

Choosing a cartridge is pretty personal and comes down to what genre of music you like, what condition the records are in that you'll be playing, your budget, and your sensibilities and tastes when it comes to what "sounds good" to you.

That is so true. I forgot to ask!

Denon DL103 if your records are pristine for the most part and not heavy metal.
    It's a MC cartridge so you might need a phono pre-amplifier to help it out.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Sumiko Bluepoint EvoIII....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Sumerian wrote: »
    I was looking for something below 300$
    Sumiko Bluepoint EvoIII....

• Sumerian
    Options
    Thanks for the responses i will be playing mostly Jazz with little bit of pop and rock.
    No heavy metal.
    Looking for something that is forgiving and with good bass response.
    I don't want the surface noise to steer me away from vinyl.
    I am new to vinyl so all my records will be new.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Arm's not really heavy enough for a DL-103. It'll work, but not optimal.
    FWIW, I find those Blue Points to be very ordinary sounding. Many folks like them a lot. I am not one of those folks. YMMV, of course.

DL-301ii might be a good choice if it fits your budget. Both of these Denons are low output, so high-gain MC phono preamp or step-up transformers is/are required.

Otherwise, can't go wrong with a Grado, IMO :) Pick your price point.
    ONE CAVEAT -- Grados, which are unshielded, can have induced hum issues on some tts. I do NOT know if the PLX-1000 is Grado-friendly in that regard... there is a Grado hum database (multiple ones, methinks). Pretty sure there is one or more at www.vinylengine.com Check before buying.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The detail gathering aspect of the Shure M97xe is to change the shape of the diamond to one that can respond to upper frequencies better. There is a Japanese company called JICO that made a replacement stylus for the Shure that improves the upper frequency character and increases the output slightly. This replacement used to be less expensive but has increased in price.
    But, this is a nice way to improve the already fine sound.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Regarding stylus replacement/upgrade for the M97xE, LP Gear offers their VividLine tip (N97xVL) at a price lower than JICO's SAS...might be a good middle-ground.

We might as well include the Nagaoka MP-110 at this price point. A used MP-150 might also come in below $300.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Used stylus is just never something I would consider. No way to know how much use is on it.
  • Sumerian
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    FWIW, I find those Blue Points to be very ordinary sounding. Many folks like them a lot. I am not one of those folks. YMMV, of course.

DL-301ii might be a good choice if it fits your budget. Both of these Denons are low output, so high-gain MC phono preamp or step-up transformers is/are required.

ONE CAVEAT -- Grados, which are unshielded, can have induced hum issues on some tts. I do NOT know if the PLX-1000 is Grado-friendly in that regard... there is a Grado hum database (multiple ones, methinks). Pretty sure there is one or more at www.vinylengine.com Check before buying.

Is there a measurement on weight of the arm to weight of Cartridge?
  • Ducati Guy
    Options
    I got my New Nagaoka Mp150h(with the headshell) for $280 on Amazon, had to wait 2-3 weeks for it to be shipped from japan.
  • Tony M
    Options
    I'm glad you received it. Looks like a nice cartridge!

How can you trust a seller from another country?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Sumerian wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Is there a measurement on weight of the arm to weight of Cartridge?
    It's not cartridge weight per se, it's compliance (the 'springiness' of the stylus/cantilever/suspension system) -- and yes, there's math :( and/or calculators (vinylengine has one -- maybe more) or a nomograph, like this one from Ortofon.

https://www.ortofon.com/support/support-hifi/resonance-frequency

4m7gnkcvo0pr.png

Basically, the arm mass and cartridge compliance need to be 'matched' such that the resonant frequency of the resulting system is not too high and not too low. The "ideal" resonant frequency is in the 8 to 10 Hz region (Ortofon sez "8 to 12 Hz" -- and I won't argue with them!). Too low and record warp noise or footfalls will excite the resonance; too higher and bass content in the music can excite it.

The Devil is in the details :p

• Tony M
    Options
    I'm going back to CDs then. :D
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    I'm going back to CDs then. :D

Absolutely, there was too much engineering math involved with vinyl. I just want to veg out and listen to some tunes, not have to do long division before putting the needle on the record.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Options
    Hear, hear.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Sumerian
    Options
    Sounds like too much labor hope the returns are good.
    I initially thought of getting some audio technica now i will end up spending atleast a grand. May be i should just upgrade the DAC and call it a day?
    This will be the most confused purchase ever.
  • Ducati Guy
    Options
    After I set up my new turntable and put on the first record,

then heard all the background hiss/pops/crackles, my first gut reaction was "damm it sounds just like what I remember my parents records sounds like, jeez did I just waste a bunch of money."

Then I used the record brush, some less surface noise ,"hmm".

Then I got a cheap spin clean, "Hmm, this is sounding a lot better, maybe 50-80% less surface noise depending on the record.
    Then I started to appreciate the slightly different sound of vinyl. Being a part of the process of why your vinyl is sounding good, also makes me appreciate the sound more, more of an "experience". Like feeling more connected with your car, manually shifting the gears.
    And sometimes you just want a little more variety with your chocolate.
    I like Hershey Kisses("Hi Res Files"), I like cd's/SACD's("milk chocolate"),
    and then I also want that extra creamy milk chocolate("Vinyl").
    The rabbit hole has been fun.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Many people describe the vinyl experience as 'organic', and I agree with that. SOOO many factors involved in the final output - vinyl condition, stylus (diamond/cantilever) type and construction, cartridge, tonearm, turntable, interconnects, phonostage...and each one of those has more factors of its own, and each can be upgraded independently. It takes a pretty sizable investment to even approach digital quality. It's interesting to cue-up the same track on vinyl and digital, start both, and then flip back-and-forth between sources.

I'm not going to say one sounds 'better' than the other - it depends on the track and personal preference. Digital is maybe like using an exacto knife, whereas vinyl maybe a good, sharp, pocket knife (when done right). I think the application and de-application of the RIAA equalization curve with vinyl is really a bigger factor than we recognize or mention.

I enjoy both mediums...just depends on how much I want to babysit a player.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon