Thinking of trying Clarity MR in 2.3TL

I will say that these 2.3's sound great with the Sonicaps. I'm not set on going with the MR's, but it seems these speakers have responded well to pretty much all the upgrades I've thrown at them, that's what makes this hobby great.

I would have probably bit the bullet and went with the MR's initially, except for they don't have all the matching values. I can use the 3.9 and 4.1 to get the 8uf, but what type of a loss would I get SQ wise paralleling 2 caps of different values, let alone being 2 caps, then there's the 5.8 where it comes up .2uf short.

Due to the price structure of these caps, ;) , I don't want to go at this blindly.

I do understand the tolerances and how close the caps are, but I would like to know if anyone has used these caps in the 2.3TL and what are your thoughts?

This is something I've been itching to try for awhile, however it's alot of money for solely trial and error.

I can match the 27uf, 18uf, & 16uf with a single cap, but the 8uf would require the 4.1uf & 3.9uf in parallel, then the 5.8 is the last issue, and I could just leave the Sonicap in there for the 5.8.

I did speak to a few people about this, and Dave was a wonderful help explaining the complex crossover networks these speakers have. I understand it's more than just a cutoff frequency, and I don't want to change how these speakers are designed to interact with each other. I will likely not hear the difference based on tolerances, which is why I'm curious if anyone has gone about this.

Worst case I can change all the caps, go with the 5.6, and change out the 5.6 later if it makes a noticeable, negative difference. With that cap I believe its about a 7% difference so it makes the choice harder.

We also discussed the engineers set these crossovers up a certain way, and I like the way they work, so for the record, I don't want to re-invent the wheeI. I just know enough about the complexity of the crossover to be dangerous, but would like to know how the changes in these cap values affect the whole parameter of the crossover.

Reason for the move....is since the CMR is replacing the MR, at least that's the way I understand it, some reviews haven't been as positive as I imagined they would with regards to the CMR. Some feel the MR is more forgiving but that's just heresy. I would like to move on them in case some values that match do go away.

All criticism and input is more than welcome.

Comments