Fat Tuesday - Have you ordered your Paczki's Yet?

Big celebration here in SE Michigan. #1 Polish Bakery in Hamtramck:
hn20s6ztk859.png
j7ke7t7755wu.png
Not that I need them, but who can resist? :smiley:
2CH: Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Carver TFM35x Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's

Comments

• dromundsdromunds Posts: 6,591
    They call them Punchka’s here.
  • verbverb Posts: 782
    Funny. Phonetically we call em "Poonchkies". I wanted to get the spelling right or suffer an admonishment from @mhardy6647 :smiley:
    2CH: Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Carver TFM35x Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,805
    Or Viking
    I just looked back at a buddy's Polish wife's Facebook post about them as she is making them, and she spelled them Paczki and Ponczka, she said either way you spell it they are great, I can attest to that even if I spell them phonetically. Lol
    edited February 12
    Of course! He's always lurking :smiley: Before he jumps, here is the actual spelling in the Polish alphabet:

Pączki

:smiley:
    dromunds wrote: »
    I just looked back at a buddy's Polish wife's Facebook post about them as she is making them, and she spelled them Paczki and Ponczka, she said either way you spell it they are great, I can attest to that even if I spell them phonetically. Lol

Wow! Baker in the house! Hard to resist :smiley:
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 1,489
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Or Viking

Like I would even know what this nonsense is about, snowflake.
    What no Paczki's for Viking? How about a Snickers?
    verb wrote: »
    Paczki's
    That sounds like a pejorative. You're not going to trick me into this argument, mister!

xlr72oq5oxpv.gif
    Hahaha! I love ya viking! I see Paczki's strolling along the vid! Mmmm!
    edited February 12

I honestly have never heard of these. It must be a regional thing. I know what "d-u-p-a" means, though. :p

Holy poupe-crappe! My Polish word for "but" just got the 4 asterisk treatment by the forum software!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    I didn't either until I moved to Michigan. Huge Polish community in Detroit. Excellent polish restaurants down there. New Palace Bakery has the best Paczki's, but everyone here in SE Michigan now makes them. Every once in a while I'll brave the drive down to Hamtramck and wait in line!
    I got married in Wisconsin and my ex-wife and mother-in-law were both born in Chicago. Both had huge Polish populations. I don't remember anybody celebrating Mardi Gras up there, though. :o :p
    Agree. Born and raised in Chicago. Never hear of it then either. I am now enlightened!
    lulrp5h6croz.png
    Footnote (see pic): Lot's of jokes about prune filled Paczki's!
    I scanned the box and that was my immediate reaction. :p
    They’re not just for Fat Tuesday around here! I recently heard somebody say they’re just jelly-filled doughnuts and they got a short lecture about how “doughnuts” had holes, and “Poonch-ka’s“ have no holes.
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 6,712

Get a room...
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • ManticoreManticore Posts: 178
    Thought i smelled something good. 2 dozen please!!!!!!!!!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound HCA 1500A amplifier
    Adcom GFA 555 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 20A2 cart
    NAD pp 4 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk RTiA 7's
    Polk CSi A6
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,576
    Order?

No. Ordering is for mere plebs.

My family is Polish. There's already 3 dozen made and waiting for me at my mom's house. I didn't order them, they were just made for me because that's how it is. I got an email this morning at 7:30 am saying that I should come get them today.

Y'all have fun with your bakery bought pastries.

And for the record, because y'all are likely of inferior ethnic descent, the word is Pączki.

Any other spelling is incorrect or something silly like a Ukraine spelling. They are a Polish pastry and are from Poland so the Polish spelling and pronunciation is correct.

It's pronounced like you were saying paunchki or punchki depending on your dialect.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Pl-pączki.ogg

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
    Sounds good @Jstas !
  • chumliechumlie Posts: 8,252
    Looks like a donut to me. What's the difference ?
    Chums, see my last post above. Lol.
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 1,351
    Y'all got it all wrong, it's fasnacht. And filling is for sissies. And they have holes... It's all about the dough.
    Jstas wrote: »
    because y'all are likely of inferior ethnic descent
    Careful. Some snowflake might report you for fascism.
    chumlie wrote: »
    Looks like a donut to me. What's the difference ?

It’s more than a donut. Much better dough, and twice as much filling. Not too late! I picked up 5 dozen for my office today. Yum!
    I picked up 5 dozen for my dessert tonight. Yum!

*fixed :p
    Haha! :smile:
  • teamjhertzteamjhertz Posts: 298
    Just picked up 6 for the kids to try
    Awesome. Another factoid. Paczki’s weigh about 1/4 pound each. :smiley:
  • gfonggfong Posts: 1,026
    edited February 13
    Up here in Canada and the rest of the Commonwealth we call it Pancake Tuesday! Whatever anyone calls it, have a good one!
    2 Channel Setup: Unison Research Simply Italy Tube Amp, Klipsch La Scala speakers, Rega RP6 Union Jack Edition w/Exact Cart TT, REGA ARIA phono stage, Sony SCD-CE595 SACD, APC-H10.

A/V Setup: Sony STR-5400ES AVR, Emotiva XPA-3 Amp, Polk Audio RTi A9's, CSi A6, FXi A6,s, SVS PB12-NSD Sub, Sony KDL52W5100 TV, Sony BDP-S770 BluRay.

Connections: Atlas Navigator All CU, Atlas Voyager All CU & Atlas Equator MK II interconnects, Audioquest sub-3 sub-woofer cable, MIT EXp 2 speaker cables, AudioQuest NRG-2 power cords, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones.

gfong aka Greg Fonger
    True North Strong and Free... Canada