Finally got scammed

xsmixsmi Posts: 1,296
So, I finally got scammed on eBay. I sold a video card to a guy in the Portland Oregon. The card worked as documented before shipping, he said it didn’t. And although on my ad, I said no returns/refunds, eBay, told me to contact the buyer by phone and honor the return request anyway. I never actually spoke to the person who purchased the item, however through messages on eBay and calling the numbers eBay had on file for the purchaser, I finally got the purchaser the phone number for my local UPS store manager so that I could get a claim processed for the damaged card. He never uploaded photos of the damaged card, nor has he contacted the local UPS store. It’s been 4 days. So, I’m out of the money on the purchase AND the video card. And if you guys have seen the price of AMD video cards lately, you know this one hurts. Just wanted to share and vent. Sometimes I hate the way that we as human beings treat one another.
2-channel
Yaqin MC-30L, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Klipsch KG-4, Monster Cable throughout.

Comments

• FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 1,357
    The buyer claimed damage and didn't provide any pictures??? Was the package insured? What didn't the buyer put a claim in through the shipping co.?
  • stangman67stangman67 Posts: 653
    Selling though eBay right now is scary. The seller is always at fault. You should not have refunded him until he sent the card back and you received it. That is the eBay policy. If you already refunded him and he hasn’t sent the card, call up eBay customer service. It is also your responsibility as the shipper to go through the claim process, not the buyer

Wish you the best of luck,
    Zach
    2 Channel
    BlueSound Node 2 Streaming Tidal I Marantz SA8005 I Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 I B&K ST125.2 I Focal Aria 926 I Wireworld Eclipse 7 IC's I Acoustic Zen Satori SC I Pangea AC14SE MkII/PS Audio AC-3 Power Cables

Living Room HT
    Sony XBR65X930E I Marantz NR-1608 I Q Acoustics 2020i I Q Acoustics 3090c I FXI-A4's I DIY 15" Dayton SW

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,376
    Yeah you got ripped man....time to hold video cards close. The video card scene is NUTS right now too...up here in Canada a Asus ROG Strix 1835Mhz factory overlocked GTX 1080 I paid $720 for 6 months ago is now $1,300!?!?!...Yeah it's not leaving nor are my RX 470 and RX 480 cards...both 8Gb models too.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,818
    edited February 10
    The problem is ebay. They just want that 100% rating. The seller is screwed from the start. You have not been able to give any buyer a negetive in years so ALL BUYERS are 100% unless the flat out do not pay, so they pay and file a claim a walla get their money back.
    I have not sold there in years just not worth the fees and hassle.
    By the way as of next year eBay will no longer allow paypal so it gets even better. You must go through i believe some company out of Norway or somewhere over that way. No FN i give my banking information to any entity over there!
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Yeah you got ripped man....time to hold video cards close. The video card scene is NUTS right now too...up here in Canada a Asus ROG Strix 1835Mhz factory overlocked GTX 1080 I paid $720 for 6 months ago is now $1,300!?!?!...Yeah it's not leaving nor are my RX 470 and RX 480 cards...both 8Gb models too.

Why are they appreciating in price?
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 4,037
    Sorry about your loss so far. :(
    That buyer should never have been able to get his money back!!! Period.

I didn't sell much to paypal people I never met but I did get their payment into my bank and then, I took it out asap. I also wanted to hear a human voice and get a phone number from them calling ME. I have a good sense of people by talking to them. I've had to hire enough and work with hundreds overs 40 years to judge pretty well.

Then I shipped their receiver or whatever. That sucks about human scums and oportunistic bull-sh***rs. This world is producing more and more. They're whale s**t to me!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?... Got TFM ?
    It don't matter whether you take the money out or not Tony eBay at times puts a lock on your account on big ticket items. Ebay will take the money regardless.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,785
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The problem is ebay. They just want that 100% rating. The seller is screwed from the start. You have not been able to give any buyer a negetive in years so ALL BUYERS are 100% unless the flat out do not pay, so they pay and file a claim a walla get their money back.
    I have not sold there in years just not worth the fees and hassle.
    By the way as of next year eBay will no longer allow paypal so it gets even better. You must go through i believe some company out of Norway or somewhere over that way. No FN i give my banking information to any entity over there!

That's not quite accurate.

Here's the deal....
    EBay said PayPal will remain "an important partner," with a deal keeping the service as an option to make purchases in the marketplace until July 2023.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• verbverb Posts: 807

Bitcoin mining.
    2CH: Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Carver TFM35x Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,126

They are sought after for cryptocurrency mining, ie Bitcoin and such.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
    verb wrote: »

Bitcoin mining.
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

They are sought after for cryptocurrency mining, ie Bitcoin and such.

For real?
    How so? I'm so behind
    Ebay won’t complete the refund until the item is returned to you. They have I believe 10-14 days to provide a tracking number. If you don’t receive the item back they will cancel the refund to the buyer.

In the meantime your cash and item is in limbo.
    2CH: Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Carver TFM35x Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's

Bitcoin mining.

Cryptocurrency mining yes, but not Bitcoin. Mining bitcoin on a GPU isn't all that productive and the ROI is pure garbage. They make specialized ASIC boxes to mine that, it's the other stuff the GPUs work good on. That being said, I'm NOT mining anything.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    To add, you as an Ebay seller can submit a claim stating that the return item was never received after the grace period mentioned above. Ebay does track the buyer's claim and will send notices to remind them to return the item. Ebay requires the buyer to submit a tracking number as part of the return process. Not sure if they automatically cancel the claim if the buyer does not respond, but you can surely intervene once the return grace period is over.

Hang in there!

Bitcoin mining.

Cryptocurrency mining yes, but not Bitcoin. Mining bitcoin on a GPU isn't all that productive and the ROI is pure garbage. They make specialized ASIC boxes to mine that, it's the other stuff the GPUs work good on. That being said, I'm NOT mining anything.

Uh huh. :smile: Thanks for clarifying!
  • corticocortico Posts: 348
    #me too
    Ebay is a scam on it's own,

I sold a Parasound DAC to a guy in Korea via International program shipping, no returns accepted.

it was perfect working order, well documented with picture. The guy tried to work it up with a computer, the red light turned on and he claimed not has described.

Ebay, place my paypal funds on hold and demanded me to accept return, and I had to pay shipping return from Korea to NYC. it's interesting International shipping doesn't work with returns.

Many calls to eBay but customer service doesn't have a solution. It's so ridiculous that there was no way for me to organize return shipping from US, so the buyer picked up is shipping method and demanded me to pay $90!!!!

Well, I told him to go f'uck himself!! and got a negative feedback. The DAC arrived with damaged corners because that idiot packed it very poorly... eBay, once again didn't do anything.

I was not even able to leave him a feedback.

"If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing." Daniel Von Recklinghausen
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,296
    eBay, has already taken the money out of my PayPal account. I have not received ANYTHING that says the card was defective, except his word. I called eBay about it on the 6th, they advised me that I MUST authorize the refund by the 8th and gave me numbers to call the seller that they had on file. I tried the numbers and two were disconnected. The 3rd was the buyers “friend” and he said he’d have the buyer call me. He never did. The local UPS store, needed confirmation that the packaging and/or the card was damaged so that the claim could be processed. I had the internal box for the card and paid the UPS store to put it inside of a second box. That’s why I needed him to send pics to the local store. He’s done neither, but eBay was gonna put a hold on my account on the 8th if I did not authorize the refund.
    2-channel
    Yaqin MC-30L, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Klipsch KG-4, Monster Cable throughout.
  • teamjhertzteamjhertz Posts: 301
    I just had a similar experience

I got stuck paying $80 in shipping because the buyer wanted a partial refund

I called his bluff and he was surprised I did not accept his terms and told him to ship it back. He wanted a partial refund of $160

You have to be really careful selling on eBay now which is a shame
    Have you reached out to eBay again and said the seller has not communicated with you?
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,296
    I'm going to on Monday.
    2-channel
    Good. If you let them know how you've reached out with no success, they will try to intervene. You can also post on Ebay. They should've sent you an Ebay message about the claim, where you can add your updates. Hang in there, it'll work out!
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 1,844
    This is why I stay away from both Ebay and cryptocurrency, too much scam potential. When there is a whole business like ant mining to rob others of their currency it's just too risky. Ebay is just as bad in my opinion.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 1,517
    Good. If you let them know how you've reached out with no success, they will try to intervene. You can also post on Ebay. They should've sent you an Ebay message about the claim, where you can add your updates. Hang in there, it'll work out!

Enough with this "reach out" nonsense. If you are just "contacting" them, it isn't "reaching out". Reaching out is when they are depressed, despondent, or suicidal.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 1,474
    reach-out.jpg
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Enough with this "reach out" nonsense. If you are just "contacting" them, it isn't "reaching out". Reaching out is when they are depressed, despondent, or suicidal.

Alan_r wrote: »
    My passion is for the music, my hobby is how I listen to it.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 1,517
    See? She is literally reaching out and touching the telephone. And by "literally", I mean "literally".

Sadly, somehow, in this godforsaken country, when people start using certain words and phrases, just about every other unoriginal moron thinks "Oh gee, I should start saying that too because there just aren't enough effing doosh bags in this country already." "Pull the trigger." There's another one that should be punishable by death. Now, here's Steve with the weather.
    edited February 11
    [Funny Pic]
    See? She is literally reaching out and touching the telephone. And by "literally", I mean "literally".

Sadly, somehow, in this godforsaken country, when people start using certain words and phrases, just about every other unoriginal moron thinks "Oh gee, I should start saying that too because there just aren't enough effing doosh bags in this country already." "Pull the trigger." There's another one that should be punishable by death. Now, here's Steve with the weather.

Post edited by Clipdat on
    edited February 11
    I LIKE TO SWEAR
    Erm best to edit out that pic before the mods...just sayin...

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,033

Bring it in, Jim.....settle
    edited February 11
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I LIKE TO SWEAR
    Erm best to edit out that pic before the mods...just sayin...

I know but....they is handin out the 30 day shush orders...hate to see it happen to anyone else.