Finally got scammed

xsmi
xsmi Posts: 1,786
So, I finally got scammed on eBay. I sold a video card to a guy in the Portland Oregon. The card worked as documented before shipping, he said it didn’t. And although on my ad, I said no returns/refunds, eBay, told me to contact the buyer by phone and honor the return request anyway. I never actually spoke to the person who purchased the item, however through messages on eBay and calling the numbers eBay had on file for the purchaser, I finally got the purchaser the phone number for my local UPS store manager so that I could get a claim processed for the damaged card. He never uploaded photos of the damaged card, nor has he contacted the local UPS store. It’s been 4 days. So, I’m out of the money on the purchase AND the video card. And if you guys have seen the price of AMD video cards lately, you know this one hurts. Just wanted to share and vent. Sometimes I hate the way that we as human beings treat one another.
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    The buyer claimed damage and didn't provide any pictures??? Was the package insured? What didn't the buyer put a claim in through the shipping co.?
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Selling though eBay right now is scary. The seller is always at fault. You should not have refunded him until he sent the card back and you received it. That is the eBay policy. If you already refunded him and he hasn’t sent the card, call up eBay customer service. It is also your responsibility as the shipper to go through the claim process, not the buyer

Wish you the best of luck,
    Zach
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited February 2018
    The problem is ebay. They just want that 100% rating. The seller is screwed from the start. You have not been able to give any buyer a negetive in years so ALL BUYERS are 100% unless the flat out do not pay, so they pay and file a claim a walla get their money back.
    I have not sold there in years just not worth the fees and hassle.
    By the way as of next year eBay will no longer allow paypal so it gets even better. You must go through i believe some company out of Norway or somewhere over that way. No FN i give my banking information to any entity over there!
  • pitdogg2
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Yeah you got ripped man....time to hold video cards close. The video card scene is NUTS right now too...up here in Canada a Asus ROG Strix 1835Mhz factory overlocked GTX 1080 I paid $720 for 6 months ago is now $1,300!?!?!...Yeah it's not leaving nor are my RX 470 and RX 480 cards...both 8Gb models too.

Why are they appreciating in price?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Sorry about your loss so far. :(
    That buyer should never have been able to get his money back!!! Period.

I didn't sell much to paypal people I never met but I did get their payment into my bank and then, I took it out asap. I also wanted to hear a human voice and get a phone number from them calling ME. I have a good sense of people by talking to them. I've had to hire enough and work with hundreds overs 40 years to judge pretty well.

Then I shipped their receiver or whatever. That sucks about human scums and oportunistic bull-sh***rs. This world is producing more and more. They're whale s**t to me!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    It don't matter whether you take the money out or not Tony eBay at times puts a lock on your account on big ticket items. Ebay will take the money regardless.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The problem is ebay. They just want that 100% rating. The seller is screwed from the start. You have not been able to give any buyer a negetive in years so ALL BUYERS are 100% unless the flat out do not pay, so they pay and file a claim a walla get their money back.
    I have not sold there in years just not worth the fees and hassle.
    By the way as of next year eBay will no longer allow paypal so it gets even better. You must go through i believe some company out of Norway or somewhere over that way. No FN i give my banking information to any entity over there!

That's not quite accurate.

Here's the deal....
    EBay said PayPal will remain "an important partner," with a deal keeping the service as an option to make purchases in the marketplace until July 2023.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Yeah you got ripped man....time to hold video cards close. The video card scene is NUTS right now too...up here in Canada a Asus ROG Strix 1835Mhz factory overlocked GTX 1080 I paid $720 for 6 months ago is now $1,300!?!?!...Yeah it's not leaving nor are my RX 470 and RX 480 cards...both 8Gb models too.

Bitcoin mining.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

They are sought after for cryptocurrency mining, ie Bitcoin and such.
  • pitdogg2
    verb wrote: »

Bitcoin mining.
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

They are sought after for cryptocurrency mining, ie Bitcoin and such.

For real?
    How so? I'm so behind
  • verb
    Ebay won’t complete the refund until the item is returned to you. They have I believe 10-14 days to provide a tracking number. If you don’t receive the item back they will cancel the refund to the buyer.

In the meantime your cash and item is in limbo.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    To add, you as an Ebay seller can submit a claim stating that the return item was never received after the grace period mentioned above. Ebay does track the buyer's claim and will send notices to remind them to return the item. Ebay requires the buyer to submit a tracking number as part of the return process. Not sure if they automatically cancel the claim if the buyer does not respond, but you can surely intervene once the return grace period is over.

Hang in there!
  • verb

Bitcoin mining.

Cryptocurrency mining yes, but not Bitcoin. Mining bitcoin on a GPU isn't all that productive and the ROI is pure garbage. They make specialized ASIC boxes to mine that, it's the other stuff the GPUs work good on. That being said, I'm NOT mining anything.

Uh huh. :smile: Thanks for clarifying!
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    #me too
    Ebay is a scam on it's own,

I sold a Parasound DAC to a guy in Korea via International program shipping, no returns accepted.

it was perfect working order, well documented with picture. The guy tried to work it up with a computer, the red light turned on and he claimed not has described.

Ebay, place my paypal funds on hold and demanded me to accept return, and I had to pay shipping return from Korea to NYC. it's interesting International shipping doesn't work with returns.

Many calls to eBay but customer service doesn't have a solution. It's so ridiculous that there was no way for me to organize return shipping from US, so the buyer picked up is shipping method and demanded me to pay $90!!!!

Well, I told him to go f'uck himself!! and got a negative feedback. The DAC arrived with damaged corners because that idiot packed it very poorly... eBay, once again didn't do anything.

I was not even able to leave him a feedback.

• xsmi
    eBay, has already taken the money out of my PayPal account. I have not received ANYTHING that says the card was defective, except his word. I called eBay about it on the 6th, they advised me that I MUST authorize the refund by the 8th and gave me numbers to call the seller that they had on file. I tried the numbers and two were disconnected. The 3rd was the buyers “friend” and he said he’d have the buyer call me. He never did. The local UPS store, needed confirmation that the packaging and/or the card was damaged so that the claim could be processed. I had the internal box for the card and paid the UPS store to put it inside of a second box. That’s why I needed him to send pics to the local store. He’s done neither, but eBay was gonna put a hold on my account on the 8th if I did not authorize the refund.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • I just had a similar experience

I got stuck paying $80 in shipping because the buyer wanted a partial refund

I called his bluff and he was surprised I did not accept his terms and told him to ship it back. He wanted a partial refund of $160

You have to be really careful selling on eBay now which is a shame
  • verb
    Have you reached out to eBay again and said the seller has not communicated with you?
  • xsmi
    I'm going to on Monday.
  • verb
    Good. If you let them know how you've reached out with no success, they will try to intervene. You can also post on Ebay. They should've sent you an Ebay message about the claim, where you can add your updates. Hang in there, it'll work out!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    This is why I stay away from both Ebay and cryptocurrency, too much scam potential. When there is a whole business like ant mining to rob others of their currency it's just too risky. Ebay is just as bad in my opinion.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Good. If you let them know how you've reached out with no success, they will try to intervene. You can also post on Ebay. They should've sent you an Ebay message about the claim, where you can add your updates. Hang in there, it'll work out!

Enough with this "reach out" nonsense. If you are just "contacting" them, it isn't "reaching out". Reaching out is when they are depressed, despondent, or suicidal.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    reach-out.jpg
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Enough with this "reach out" nonsense. If you are just "contacting" them, it isn't "reaching out". Reaching out is when they are depressed, despondent, or suicidal.

• Viking64
    See? She is literally reaching out and touching the telephone. And by "literally", I mean "literally".

Sadly, somehow, in this godforsaken country, when people start using certain words and phrases, just about every other unoriginal moron thinks "Oh gee, I should start saying that too because there just aren't enough effing doosh bags in this country already." "Pull the trigger." There's another one that should be punishable by death. Now, here's Steve with the weather.
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2018
    [Funny Pic]
    See? She is literally reaching out and touching the telephone. And by "literally", I mean "literally".

Sadly, somehow, in this godforsaken country, when people start using certain words and phrases, just about every other unoriginal moron thinks "Oh gee, I should start saying that too because there just aren't enough effing doosh bags in this country already." "Pull the trigger." There's another one that should be punishable by death. Now, here's Steve with the weather.

Post edited by Clipdat on
  • Clipdat
    I LIKE TO SWEAR
    Erm best to edit out that pic before the mods...just sayin...

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776

Bring it in, Jim.....settle
  • Viking64
    lightman1 wrote: »

Russ, are you reaching out to me? (opens shirt) :p
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited February 2018
    lightman1 wrote: »

Russ, are you reaching out to me? (opens shirt) :p

I'll scoop that heart from your open shirt/chest then study it and then place it back in and talk to you about life.i
  • Viking64
    So, sort of a reach/scoop combination motion? :D
  • Viking64
    DSkip wrote: »
    I saw a badger once.

Did you "reach around" him? :p