New hobby...

Rebuilding chainsaws.
Its rewarding taking something that doesn't work & rebuilding it so that it runs/works better than when it came off the factory line!
This particular Homelite Little Red XL was giving to me free.
It had been sitting for 9yrs without being started.
I took it home, swapped the old gas for new & it started!
Had fuel issues tho.
Completely tore it apart...
New carburetor kit, ported the head (dremel) & exhaust.
Sweet running saw now!
Cutting SOB!
Fun rebuilding these old "Built in USA Homelites"!
2qdtzv0d5t38.jpg

Comments

• Yep2Yep2 Posts: 931
    d3orzak72oqw.jpg
    v42dzjte5tnb.jpg
  • verbverb Posts: 828
    Very Cool! Amazing how many folks throw that stuff out when it just needs a good cleaning or minor repair!
    2CH: Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Carver TFM35x Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 16,114
    A month of storage with fuel made with gas containing EtOH and 1) a chainsaw won't start and 2) cleaning the carburetor will usually rescue it :p

Used to find 'em at the Harvard dump all the time in that condition :|
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

edited February 10
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    A month of storage with fuel made with gas containing EtOH and 1) a chainsaw won't start and 2) cleaning the carburetor will usually rescue it :p

Used to find 'em at the Harvard dump all the time in that condition :|

9 years without a start.
    I tried everything to get the fuel system to cooperate!
    No Go (wouldn't take throttle).
    $16/shipped for a carb kit (thank GOD for youtube!).
    Cleaned the valve, & ported the intake & exaust.
    Im extremely happy. B)
    so I saw.
    Dang 2-stroke engines do not like to sit.
    That's why my Stihl is on long-term loan to our son-in-law; he uses it much more than do I (we don't actually have many trees, ironically).

They have a big woodlot & heat with their own wood -- he (also) bought a big-boy Stihl last year. Heavy, but a m-o-fo of a saw...
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

edited February 10
    so I saw.
    Dang 2-stroke engines do not like to sit.
    That's why my Stihl is on long-term loan to our son-in-law; he uses it much more than do I (we don't actually have many trees, ironically).

They have a big woodlot & heat with their own wood -- he (also) bought a big-boy Stihl last year. Heavy, but a m-o-fo of a saw...

Cant beat a Stihl IMHO.
    This Homelite will be a fine camp saw tho, from my van by the river. :p
    edited February 10
    Good tip if you have a workbench Doc...
    That is a WalMart vehicle "drip pan" on my 8' wood workbench...
    Ill break it out when bluing firearms, but its handy for anything messy/liquid projects.
    Ill usually take it to the car wash & spray it off, or simply let it set outside next time it rains. B)
    Yep2 wrote: »
    Good tip if you have a workbench Doc...
    That is a WalMart vehicle "drip pan" on my 8' workbench...
    I break it out when bluing firearms, but its handy for anything messy/liquid projects.
    Ill usually take it to the car wash & spray it off, or simply let it set outside next time it rains. B)

Bluing firearms. Sounds like another hobby! Tell us more! :smiley:
    2CH: Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Carver TFM35x Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's
    edited February 10
    Better not post.
    edited February 10
    Better not post...
    "Viking" would have a field day!
    Very cool! Never restored anything, but have modded a few of my items!
  • John MegadethJohn Megadeth Posts: 1,686
    edited February 10
    Before jd3qhb8csicg.jpeg

After qn3ln7la0v5x.jpeg

Very nice!
    Better not post.

Exactly! Wrong forum :smiley:
    Before jd3qhb8csicg.jpeg

After qn3ln7la0v5x.jpeg

NICE! B)
    verb wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Scared Viking will rat me out posting firearm pictures (Ive been doing it for years, for a living). ;)

I have never reported anybody for anything on this forum EVER, so don't wrongfully accuse me of it. Sort your $hit.
    Said I was "scared".

Whoa what happened to your pics?

Scared.
    sacred...?

sacred...?

Subjective...
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,714
    I like fixing up old stuff too.
    It's quite rewarding.
    In some cases, I find that I enjoy it better than something new.
    I think with new stuff I'm concerned about messing it up. With old stuff you fix up, you can use it freely, and really enjoy it.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,832
    msg wrote: »
    I like fixing up old stuff too.
    It's quite rewarding.
    In some cases, I find that I enjoy it better than something new.
    I think with new stuff I'm concerned about messing it up. With old stuff you fix up, you can use it freely, and really enjoy it.

Ed Zachary
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 4,054
    Tim the tool man's and my philosophy too....are, are, are, are, are!

Fix what we can and save some bucks along the way, maybe. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies . I am glad to be a part of a select group that tries to take our auditory and visual senses to a higher level: we EXPERIENCE them.... GOT SDA?... Got TFM ?