Buy LSiM's and sell my SDA's?

ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,627
For 5.1 H/T in my man cave. The prices of the LSiM's are great at this time. Here is what I am thinking of doing:

Currently have these:
SDA SRS 2 (fronts)
CS350-LS (center)
SDA-2B (rear)

Thinking of buying these:
LSiM 707 (fronts)
LSiM 706 (center)
LSiM 703 (rear)

I could sell my current system for around $750.
Adorama has the LSiM package for $2000. So out of pocket around $1250 for a new LSiM 5.1.

I already have a killer subwoofer.

Thoughts? Should I?

Comments

• EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,033
    I made the switch from 2.3TLs as mains. No regrets at all. At least for home theater use.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Pioneer Elite SC97 receiver; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 903
    DSkip wrote: »
    No, no, and no.

This.
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,627
    Wow no love for the LSiM?
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,397
    They're good speakers and stellar at the price, but you have damn fine speakers that I think you should keep there and spend the money elsewhere.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: P3ESR, 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,385
    Keep them all, that's what I'd do. I won't judge you for that.
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11T X2 pairs, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,957
    edited February 10
    ^^^
    yeah, make a 10.21
    Post edited by msg on
  • TNTsTunesTNTsTunes Posts: 754
    For 5.1 H/T in my man cave. The prices of the LSiM's are great at this time. Here is what I am thinking of doing:

Currently have these:
    SDA SRS 2 (fronts)
    CS350-LS (center)
    SDA-2B (rear)

LSiM 707 (fronts)
    LSiM 706 (center)
    LSiM 703 (rear)

Adorama has the LSiM package for $2000. So out of pocket around $1250 for a new LSiM 5.1.

Thoughts? Should I?

Are your current speakers recapped, are the drivers dynamated, spiked and equipped with RDO194's? If not that would be my suggestions.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

I'd keep the 2Bs, AND seriously consider the LSiM package.
    If you've ever wanted them, that deal's the deal.
    Blink, and it might be passed.

Or maybe next time they'll be even less. I can't see how, though. They're literally at giveaway prices now.

I still can't get over the current deal. I was happy to pay F&F, couldn't afford them otherwise, but this deal is absolutely unbelievable. How much of an LSiM junkie am I? I don't need any more, but I was running through my list of friends I could try to convince.
    edited February 11
  • teekay0007teekay0007 Posts: 2,032
    msg wrote: »
    I'd keep the 2Bs, AND seriously consider the LSiM package.

This, but with the LSiM 705's...a better speaker, all-around. IMHO, of course.
    I haven't heard 707s personally, but yes, the consensus on 705s being better balanced is why I went with them.

As I write, I realize that I wonder which I would prefer had I the chance to hear both for myself. Related note/consideration - I love the 703s, but my understanding is that there are some flaws. If the 707s are like the 703s in their fat sound, I'd consider the 707s as long as they're not loose or boomy and don't require high volume to sound good.

One thing I notice with 705s is that it takes me more volume knob to reach the same listening output level as 703s. IIRC, another 5-6dB on the volume knob. Can't remember whether this is with or without the sub on the 703s. Due to the smaller driver set on the 705s vs the 703s?
  • EarthyEarthy Posts: 484
    It seems to me you kind of want to make the switch. I did a similar update and in the end, it still sounds great, but the new LSiM speakers look so nice. I would say do what you want.
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Parasound Halo A21
    Parasound Halo P3

Home theater
    Polk LSiM 707, 706c, 703, 705
    Polk Blackstone TL3 for height
    SVS PB12-ISD Sub
    Denon AVR-X6400h
    LG OLED65B7A
    Sony UBPX800
    Logitech Harmony Elite
    PC LSiM 703
    Spare LSIM 702 and 706c

Home Theater #2
    Polk Audio LS70, CS350LS, LSF/X, S4
    Onkyo TX-NR808

• tonybtonyb Posts: 28,919
    Dooo it.

Never hurts to mix it up once in awhile, that's how we learn....sometimes. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony BRP
    Tad bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
    Earthy wrote: »
    It seems to me you kind of want to make the switch. I did a similar update and in the end, it still sounds great, but the new LSiM speakers look so nice. I would say do what you want.

Yes, I kind of want to make a change. The prices of the LSiM are really good too. I have a few different amps I can try on the 707.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,884
    edited February 11
    Earthy wrote: »

Yes, I kind of want to make a change. The prices of the LSiM are really good too. I have a few different amps I can try on the 707.

Then go for it, you've got the gear to make sure they will be powered so what's stopping you. You will end up with nice looking, sleek, great sounding speakers that could keep you happy for years. That's a win all the way around.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • LegenderLegender Posts: 436
    You'll only regret not doing it, 'cause then you'll never know how it sounds to you. The current prices are great and much better than the F&F deal I used.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Hey, I found this neat movie...

1nvzioty7oox.gif
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 39,461
    You won't regret it because you already have the better speakers.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,385
    Maybe I shouldn't have seen this after buying some of the recently made legal California whacky tobaky. With the emphasis on legal. ;)
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11T X2 pairs, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
    edited February 11
    TNTsTunes wrote: »

Currently have these:
    SDA SRS 2 (fronts)
    CS350-LS (center)
    SDA-2B (rear)

LSiM 707 (fronts)
    LSiM 706 (center)
    LSiM 703 (rear)

Thoughts? Should I?

Are your current speakers recapped, are the drivers dynamated, spiked and equipped with RDO194's? If not that would be my suggestions.

The 2b's are stock. The SRS 2 have upgraded tweeters, Larry's Ring's and some other small mods.
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 4,190
    Seems like you could get more than $750.00 for the SDAs. If HT is the goal then yes, get the LSiM at that price.
    HT is definitely all this rig is for. I have 2 other systems to listen to music.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,096
    Personally I'd leave well enough alone. I bet your current system sounds incredible for HT.
    Got Dayens?
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 950
    Can't comment on the swap as I've never heard any of the LSiM line. I can highly recommend the SDA's though. Not to bust this discussion, quick question, when using SDA's as a rear channel do you use the SDA interconnect cable? I would think you still would. Thanks.
  • MrBuhlMrBuhl Posts: 2,234
    All I can offer is this, I had 2BTL's and 1C's (both fully modded) and now LSiM 705's... and the end result is - I still have modded 2BTL's, 1C's and 705's. Once again, I feel my work here is done.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel ,Dodd 50W Dual Mono EL34 Amp, MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp, Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded), A/L 1000VA Dreadnought, Canare 4s11 SDA cable, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Vincent Pho-700 Phono Pre, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / Pangea & Signal Cable MP power
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000
    LA Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp, Polk LSIM705, Marantz DV8300 SACD, Audioengine B1, MIT AVt3 Speaker & RCA Cables, PS Audio Power Punch power cables

Dodd Mid Level Preamp ("on the bench" w/Charlie)
    Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    McCormack DNA-1 Power Drive Amp
    Eastern Electric Minimax CDP
    Infinity RS5b Speakers

• verbverb Posts: 2,388
    You can never have enough speakers! Go for it but keep the SDA's and CS!
    2CH: Polk SDA 1C's, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Can't comment on the swap as I've never heard any of the LSiM line. I can highly recommend the SDA's though. Not to bust this discussion, quick question, when using SDA's as a rear channel do you use the SDA interconnect cable? I would think you still would. Thanks.

Normally I would use the cable, but in this case, I do not due to a fireplace being between them.

Clipdat wrote: »
    Personally I'd leave well enough alone. I bet your current system sounds incredible for HT.

It really does. Most of the time when viewing normal things I don't even turn on the subwoofer.

Only problem is that the SDA SRS 2 are a bit visually challenged LOL. And the LSiM 707 are so sexy. B)