Gold star to who can ID these!

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    OK -- I shouldn't even think about these things... if there was ever a 'classic' Polk loudspeaker about which I am non-expert, it's the Monitor 5 family! :(

This is what I think is a plain vanilla (early) Monitor 5:
    (borrowed image)

kt20u4dhwcoa.png

There's a loudspeaker listed as "Monitor 5jr" on eBAY that looks like this:

ggs1xjh0pub5.png

These are said to be "Monitor 5jr+":

y4wzugi08l10.png

And these are said to be Monitor 5 Series 2

yt0oda5ihn9q.png

(all borrowed images)

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Those are all 5s, the Jr and jr+ we're smaller, with the Jr having a port, the Jr+, the 6.5" passive.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    All of the borrowed photos have 8" PRs by the looks of it.
    The titular 5s of this thread look to have 6.5" PRs, tho', fo' sho'.

zyetvc7q0qez.jpg

like these, which are reported to be "Monitor 5jr+" :/

qoq925vbn9iu.png

https://polksda.com/monitor5jrplus.shtml

My brain just fell out -- and it's slitherin' around on the floor like a sea cucumber...

• FestYboy
    Legit 5jr+
    v2d01r2r3fkw.jpg
    The first pic is a 5a, second is likely a 5a with a replacement tweeter, third is a 5b.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I have a pair of 5jr+ for the size they do pretty good actually. Good little bedroom speakers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited February 2018
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

zyetvc7q0qez.jpg

qoq925vbn9iu.png

My brain just fell out -- and it's slitherin' around on the floor like a sea cucumber...

Those pictures bring up another reason why I don't think they are Polk speakers. The bezel on the questionable ones are recessed while the factory Polk's are flush.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    edited February 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

zyetvc7q0qez.jpg

qoq925vbn9iu.png

Those pictures bring up another reason why I don't think they are Polk speakers. The bezel on the questionable ones is recessed while the factory Polk's are flush.

That is the reason for my comment that it looked like someone used the back for the front.
  • mhardy6647
    My brain definitely slithered away.
    These definitely seem to be 5As -- no fiber gaskets on the drivers and a "5A" s/n:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/166131/monitor-5a

ztejn2smwg7x.jpg
    7zl88yae55t9.jpg

:)

I've got these upstairs -- I have no idea... ;)

ijfg3hqseqlt.png
  • pitdogg2
    You got so much you do not even know what you have......
    What a drag
  • mhardy6647
    Well it is some kind of Monitor 5...
  • Well, if the seller responds to me, I'll get 'em. I've piqued too much curiosity. Gold star yet to be awarded. My initial thought was a prototype 5jr.

BTW - does anyone know what a M4.6 looks like? Have pics? I haven't figured that one out to rule it out yet.
  • pitdogg2
    It's not a 4.6
  • FestYboy
    whcodeisw7ex.jpg
    Basically take an early 5jr and update the tweet. The dimensions are nearly identical. A 4.5 is slight shorter, and a 4 barely fits the port under the MW.
  • Is that a port on a POLK?! OMG, what was he thinking? lol That's as rare as the speakers I'm trying to identify.
  • mhardy6647
    The Monitor 4 had a port, too :)
    That I know (remember)!

tnmz78c4q1c5.png
  • kevinko
    kevinko Posts: 165
    Regardless if they are home made or prototypes why offset both tweeters to the same side? Makes no sense.

If they are home made why go through all that trouble for speakers with SL1000s? Makes no sense.

My guess is that they were 5jrs but the cabinets were damaged and this was the fix. But did Polk even make a 5jr with the passive that used Sl1000s?

• mhardy6647
    kevinko wrote: »

My guess is that they were 5jrs but the cabinets were damaged and this was the fix. But did Polk even make a 5jr with the passive that used Sl1000s?

Yeah, huh?

;)

• FestYboy
    From what I've seen and researched, no version of the 4 or 5jr came with the SL1000, and the only 5 that I've ever seen with the SL1K is the one Doc just posted.
  • kevinko
    kevinko Posts: 165
    edited February 2018
    The first ported 5jr used an SL1000.

I guess it's possible they were purely test phase tweeners between that model and the next 5jr that had the SL2000 and the passive.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    A strange beasty that vexes the collective here.....

• FestYboy
    edited February 2018
    *ignore the derp
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited February 2018
    Go get them and post pics of the xovers...it's really the last resort to know WTF unless Kens S can enlighten us. I remember when these came up for discussion last time. I was actually sitting on the couch at the Embassy suites listening to music at LSAF last May with The Rooster

He had no idea either

I doubt they are DIY, because most DIY'ers wouldn't have textured veneered the backs of the speakers
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    FestYboy wrote: »
    *ignore the derp

I know where you live....sorta....
  • FestYboy
    I've mentioned it on the forum several times...
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Those are an early SDA prototype. The non-TL SRS 0.1 Seal them, PowerGrab the magnets, Dynamat them, add one spike to each cabinet, recap them, add RDO187's, do the SpeakOn upgrade on the interconnect, add a 230va dreadnought, and chuck them down the cellar stairs.