Modern Polks?

zuulzuul Posts: 112
I actually know nothing about modern polk speakers. I've been using old school monitor series speakers (first the 8t's and for the last several years 5Jr +'s) since I was in college.

I'm curious if anyone has used both vintage polks and modern polks and how they compare. I would like to get new speakers and I'm curious if there's a modern polk speaker that are the sonic equivalent or at least similar to the monitor series from the 80's.
speakers:
polk 5jr+ w/ RDO194-1 upgraded tweeters
polk psw-10
components:
sonic frontiers line 1 preamp
sonic frontiers anthem amp 1
mac mini w/ audioquest jitterbug
teac ud-501 digital to analog converter
oppo dv-980h dvd/cd
interconnects:
monoprice
guzi
speaker wire
audioquest type 4
power:
rhino 1000w 15amp voltage regulator
vansevers 211 power cord
pangea ac-14 power cord
tubes:
amp: (2) NOS 1960 philco/lansdale 12AU7 (super rare!), (1) NOS 1967 mullard 12AX7, (4) 2016 svetlana hard blue EL-34
pre: (6) E88CC/6922 ??? (haven't cracked the case yet to see what previous owner was running...) so for now they are mystery tubes.
misc:
subdude subwoofer platform
DeMoude Audio cylindrical bass traps
rf/emi/noise reduction caps for empty rca inputs.

Comments

• cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 12,775
    I had a pair of RTA-8Ts for 27 years and just let them go last year for a pair of Signature 60s. They sound and look terrific.

For a more in depth look, here is my review of them.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176622/review-of-polk-signature-series-s60-speakers#latest

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176133/my-new-speakers#latest
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 1,466
    Nice, yeah, I was going to say/assume Signature series, but I haven't personally heard them.
    Alan_r wrote: »
    My passion is for the music, my hobby is how I listen to it.
  • I am loving my signature S60 towers. Came from a pair of energy CF 50 towers
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,778
    LSiM 705 is the best of the current models.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 3,605
    F1nut wrote: »
    LSiM 705 is the best of the current models.

Followed by the 703 IMO.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • halohalo Posts: 3,762
    zuul wrote: »
    I actually know nothing about modern polk speakers. I've been using old school monitor series speakers (first the 8t's and for the last several years 5Jr +'s) since I was in college.

I'm curious if anyone has used both vintage polks and modern polks and how they compare. I would like to get new speakers and I'm curious if there's a modern polk speaker that are the sonic equivalent or at least similar to the monitor series from the 80's.

Here are the Polks I used to own (in chronological order):
    • R30
    • R50
    • Monitor 10 A
    • Monitor 10 B
    • Monitor 11
    • R.T.A. 11 (RDO tweeters & upgraded crossovers)
    • R.T.A. 15 TL (RDO tweeters)
    • R15 + CSi25 + SVS 20-39 PCi (HT setup)
    • RTi6

I now have the Signature S60 and I also had, briefly, the Signature S30.

Aside from the Monitor 11 speakers, the Signature S60 are the best Polk speakers I've owned. For the price, nothing else (new) even comes close. I'm not going to say that the Monitor 11 speakers I owned bested the Signature S60 because it isn't a fair comparison. The rooms acoustics I've had with the S60 are FAR better than the rooms acoustics I had with all of the "vintage" Polk speakers I owned. I cannot say, with certainty, how they'd fare against one another in the listening environment that I have now but I'd love to find out! lol. In all seriousness, the S60 is a really great pair of speakers and they don't seem to do anything wrong. I'm very impressed with them.

I heard the SDA SRS 2 owned by @SCompRacer and those were amazing but it wasn't a set of speakers that I lived with long enough to know them intimately.

I also heard the LSi9 & LSi15 at the Chicagoland Polk fest and I was far more impressed by the 9's than the 15's.

As many here have suggested, get a set of the Signature Series speakers from Best Buy and try them out for yourself, in your listening environment. If you don't like them, you can return them. If any of the Polkies live near you & have a set of the 703 or 705 you can audition, give them a listen.
    2-Channel: Polk Signature S60 * Cary Audio Design CPA-1 * McCormack DNA-125 * ELAC DS-S101-G Discovery Music Server * SONOS Connect —> Micromega MyDAC * APC H10 * Z-line Designs Elektra

Vinyl rig: Technics Sl-Q3 * AT120EB * Bottlehead Ruduction w/ Integration upgrade

HT: Panasonic TH-50PZ850U * Marantz NR1403 * Panasonic DMP-UB200P-K * ROKU Premiere * Arris DCX3220e