need receiver suggestions

2»

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I will, the fans are actually really quiet, and are only noticeable when then there’s is nothing playing, can’t even hear it at extremely low volumes where you would never listen to music anyway. Thanks again for your help,
    Micah
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I missed which Crown amp the OP has -- but I will go on record as saying that some of the modern Crown amps are not bad sounding, despite being "PA amps".

:)

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    If you're thinking of better speakers, don't pass on those RTA 15s I posted earlier. That's a good price for a fantastic piece, and they're rare to boot.
  • mlistens03
    It is an XLi 800, just bare bones, clean power.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    It's actually interesting to me that Crown decided to include RCA inputs on this amp, typically you'd never see that on a lot of their older products.

Might be a sign that they're tweaking some of their designs both internally and externally, in an attempt to cover different markets.

For example three of these running in an equipment rack would power a nice chunk of a 7.2 setup and the fan noise would be a non issue. Maybe I'm wrong, but for HT I bet they would provide tons of dynamic headroom, and would sound good with a Signature series or LSiM type speaker.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    It is an XLi 800, just bare bones, clean power.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    You may well be onto something with that Clipdat.

They could really up their profits if they started making it easier and cheaper for people to add one of their amps which generally supply tons of power to their systems and for a fraction of the cost of an amp designed for home use.

Most people simply don't have the hearing/training to pick up on all the nuances of music nor are they interested in doing so, they just want to hear their music/movies.

Although none of their amps will pass the WAF ever, I certainly wouldn't add one to my system just based on the looks alone.

I'd be interested to see if this comes to pass.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mlistens03
    I’m definitely interested in hearing every detail of my music, and I can certainly do so. In the past week, I’ve heard new bits and pieces of several songs, and some songs actually sound worse because the recording is not as good, but the issue wasn’t noticeable with low end speakers. If I find a home amp that can safely power these, I’ll give it a go and come back, but for right now I’m pretty happy with it.
    (This also does mean I have an excuse to become a DJ :wink:
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    It actually looks kinda cool in my setup, but I used to have it with a silver CD player, and the different colors made both look ugly, IMO