need receiver suggestions

Options
So my Yamaha Rx-v665's pre amp bit the dust about 10 minutes ago, I now have a pair of speakers, an amplifier, and no way to use them. I have never looked for a pre amp before, so I was gonna ask if you guys have any suggestions on what to look for. My friend said he can let me use his pro audio mixer for now, so it doesn't have to be a super fast purchase. I would prefer not to spend over $200, and if I can, I would like analog and HDMI inputs. I am good buying new or used, however if I could find just a receiver that just is a pre amp, and no speaker level outputs, that would be preferred.

Thanks so much for all your help,
Micah.

P.S. this has already been posted, but it was in the wrong place.

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    No such thing as a receiver that's just a pre-amp. Do you need a receiver first off...for like HT , or is this strictly for 2 channel only ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I think I've seen receivers with no speaker level outs in youtube videos... maybe I didn't see it right. also, I should mention, I live in the Orlando FL area. I will check Craigslist/Ebay later but now I'm doing work. thanks for the suggestion on that one though, looks nice (pretty sure my dad has that same receiver :smiley: )
    thanks!
  • tonyb
    Options
    Pre-amps don't have speaker level outputs, but they also don't have HDMI connections either. Unless your talking a HT processor which will have HDMI and no speaker level outputs....but you won't find one for 200 bucks.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    Options
    Ok. I think that was what I was thinking about. I don't necessarily need HDMI inputs, but my good CD player is HDMI. Also, now that I am thinking about it, the HDMI inputs after listening for a while sometimes cut out for a second and come back, could the HDMI board be the problem?

Thanks,
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    Options
    How much would a HT processor cost? I could save for a little longer if I had to, and I just remembered I have yet to sell those infinity speakers I was talking about that the LSis replaced, so I could probably bring my maximum price up to about $4-500. I am fairly flexible and I am not opposed to spending more, so if my best option is$550 or something I could probably make that happen. I probably wont use it for home theater that much though, mostly just stereo, but I still would like at least 1 HDMI input, so maybe an HT processor isn't my best option. can I get HDMI inputs in a stereo receiver? Would something like a pro audio mixer be a bad idea? I know a mixer wont have HDMI inputs, but while it would be better to have them, they aren't necessary.

Thanks again,
    Micah
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I don't see why HDMI is on a CD player? A coax or optical connection should be what you're looking for.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    Technically it is a DVD player, I only use it for CDs. Should have specified that.
  • tonyb
    Options
    A pro mixer would be a terrible idea in my opinion.You'd be hard pressed to find a HT processor for even 500 bucks. You can always connect your cdp using the analog outputs also.

2 channel pre amps, minus the hdmi connections, you'd probably have to look at older stuff for your budget. Best bet.....another receiver, for the price your looking at and like the one I posted.

OR.....BUY THIS....

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/d/bk-ref-50-7ch-pre-amp/6439381262.html

You won't find a better sounding pre amp for the money. No hdmi, but like I said, connect the cdp by optical cable or rca cables.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    Options
    that looks pretty nice, but I don't live in Milwaukee, are you able to ship with craigslist? And does it have sub outputs?
    Ok, so I should look for another AVR. cool.

Also, I will mention here, that I have been loving my LSis and I wanted to say thanks for all your help with getting an amp, etc.

Thanks,
    Micah
  • mlistens03
    Options
    Does look nice, but I think I would prefer to get something used, because I could get something nicer for less money, but thanks for the suggestion, and I will keep it in mind when I make my final decision.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Strongly consider getting an actual CD player meant strictly for music playback. Then you won't have to try to shop for something with HDMI.

Using a DVD player over HDMI for CD playback is not the best way to be listening to music.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    I do plan to, but for right now its what I got. I also would like HDMI because my only other source is an iPad mini 2 with a terrible DAC, so I use a lightning to HDMI adapter for listening to music from that source. I have been meaning to get an external DAC though because the one in my AVR isn't much better, but its still an improvement. Do you have any suggestions on a good CD player for cheap? I do have another DVD player, and it does have analog outputs, but it is several years older, and isn't a 5 disc changer. Here are the models for the CD players, should have given them to you before:

the one I'm using with HDMI: Sony DVP-NC85H

The one I'm not using: Sony DVP NS700P

I just looked at the 5 CD changer, and it does have analog outs! sorry about that, I was wrong before.

Thanks again for your help, sorry for being too stupid to look at the back of the CD player,
    Micah.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    @stangman67 is selling his Marantz CDP right now in the FS section:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180568/marantz-cd6006-cd-player

It has a front USB port so you can connect your iPad to it and play music via it's high quality internal DAC.

Seems like a win-win!

Thank me later.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Do you have any suggestions on a good CD player for cheap?

• mlistens03
    Options
    I cant afford to spend that much since it still need to get a receiver, ill probably just stick with this for now and get something better in the future, but thanks for the suggestion,
    Micah
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    I’m a little late to the party here, but I just received a refurbished Yamaha AVR from A4L (as @rpf65 suggested above) and they were great to work with. Maybe not as cheap as used, but mine was 50% off list and came with an 18-month warranty. They have a few that are within your budget. However, the bigger question is why do you want a preamp or AVR if you are only using stereo speakers and a CD/DVD player? Do you plan to grow it into a home-theater system? If not, then strongly consider looking at used stereo integrated amps (or stereo receivers) and @stangman67’s Marantz CD player. The quality of the amp will likely be head and shoulders above the still-functioning amps in your old Yamaha. The people here are very happy to help you spend your money, but you need to decide what’s best for your current and future requirements.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Since you already have an amplifier, I would get one of these, that way you have all of your bases covered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outlaw-Audio-975-Sound-Processor-Preamp/222823140934?hash=item33e14b4e46:g:co0AAOSwRLZabLVe

Or you can buy one new from Outlaw directly.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Nice suggestion from a quality company.

But it's the wrong piece of equipment for what the OP is trying to accomplish, imo.
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Since you already have an amplifier, I would get one of these, that way you have all of your bases covered.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outlaw-Audio-975-Sound-Processor-Preamp/222823140934?hash=item33e14b4e46:g:co0AAOSwRLZabLVe

Or you can buy one new from Outlaw directly.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/975.html

• cfrizz
    Options
    I think he is limiting himself too much especially in one of his original posts he said if he came across more speakers, he might increase his system to include HT. Having this prepro will accomplish that if that happens, and it won't hurt anything if it doesn't.

The Outlaw has both HDMI as well as analog outputs to handle what he has right now with room to grow, and it will sound a whole lot better than any receiver.

If he bought a receiver, he would get all of this anyway, so might as well go for a prepro that has all of it and better sound.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Fair enough. Valid points.

But the Outlaw will still be limited by the fact that he's running a Crown professional amplifier. Shrug.
    cfrizz wrote: »
    If he bought a receiver, he would get all of this anyway, so might as well go for a prepro that has all of it and better sound.

• cfrizz
    Options
    Oh I didn't realize he had a Crown amp. Well it's not the best, but at least his speakers are getting good power, so it will do until he gets ready to buy an amp meant for home use. Right now he is dead in the water without a prepro.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    The crown has actually been very nice to use, and it has RCA inputs, so I don't know if I'm gonna replace it anytime soon. The THD is low enough that you cant hear it, and I've heard that super low THD ratings are from something being added to the signal, which you can hear (I heard about this, I don't know how true it is, or what it was even called) I do like the look of that Outlaw, do you think the Ebay price will go up too much? I don't know if I will ever get surround sound, but if I decide to, I would like to be ready.
    May I ask, what is wrong with the crown? I've been into speakers for a few years, but I never looked into amps for some reason, and I don't know a ton about them, aside from some companies and specs to look for.

I should mention I temporarily have a mixer that my friend let me use, so I'm not completely dead in the water, but I'm pretty close :wink:
  • mlistens03
    Options
    Oh and the amplifier part of my Yamaha does work, I'm actually using to power my computer speakers. Its just the pre amplified outputs (or maybe the HDMI board, but I think its the pre amp) that is bad.
  • tonyb
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I don't know if I will ever get surround sound, but if I decide to, I would like to be ready.
    May I ask, what is wrong with the crown? I've been into speakers for a few years, but I never looked into amps for some reason, and I don't know a ton about them, aside from some companies and specs to look for.
    :

If that's the case, then just buy a receiver.

The second part about the Crown....it's a pro amp, built to go loud, not necessarily for great sound, which is why most don't use them in a home environment where sound quality is a priority. They are relatively cheap though, so the allure is there for people on a small budget.

That's not to say you can't use it, just depends on how much you value sound quality is all.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    Low THD is a pretty unreliable indicator of how an amplifier is going to sound for a couple of different reasons.

1) High levels of harmonic distortion can actually sound good. Depends upon the
    order of the harmonics. Example -- ever hear the guitar on the song Satisfaction? That is good sounding harmonic distortion.

2) Sometimes the cure (high levels of poorly implemented negative feedback) is worse than the disease. Sometimes far worse.

Don't get me wrong -- distortion is distortion and is best minimized whenever possible... but judging an amplifier by its THD "spec" is like choosing your car based on how many lug nuts each wheel has, I'd opine.

:|
  • cfrizz
    Options
    A lot of people will be getting rid of their Outlaw 975s since the new 976 is now out, so you should be seeing a lot of them for a variety of prices if you don't get the one posted. Just keep an eye on Ebay.

As Tony pointed out, it all comes down to where your priorities are. If you want good sound quality, you can do fine with a receiver. If you want better sound quality, a Prepro like the 975 is usually the way to go.

Getting a receiver with the preouts needed for separate amplification aren't cheap unless you go with used.
  • mlistens03
    Options
    sound quality is my biggest priority, but the crown seems to sound really good, but maybe if I powered them with a proper home amplifier it would be eye opening or something. I will look on ebay for that Outlaw, and in the future I will get a different amp almost for sure. not sure how soon, but it will happen. I'm still able to return the crown, should I look into doing that and then getting something different? how much of a quality difference will there be? My friend that let me borrow the mixer is now taking it home because I accidentally bottomed out one of the built in subs and now I'm too scared to use it, so I'm stuck with some cheap boston acoustics speakers for now. Its going to cost me around $40 to return the crown, do you think it that the difference is worth that much money?
  • mlistens03
    Options
    upon playing around with it a little more, it is working perfectly again, so at this point, I think I'm ok. if this does become a legit problem, then I will come back. Thanks for your help,
    Micah.
  • cfrizz
    Options
    If you can't hear any of the fan noise from the Crown, then just enjoy the tunes.