Tesla in Space!

verbverb Posts: 807
Snippet of live video showing Elon Musk's Red Tesla orbiting the Earth!
y73hf8t4emnt.png
Video Link:
2CH: Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Carver TFM35x Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's

Comments

• verbverb Posts: 807
    Update: Plan to re-entry at LSAF!
    2CH: Micro Seiki MB14 TT, Rotel 1580 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Carver TX8 Tuner, Carver TFM35x Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 1,517
    verb wrote: »
    From what I have read in that thread, it looks like there will be a lot of "re-entry" at LSAF. :o
    Viking64 wrote: »
    From what I have read in that thread, it looks like there will be a lot of "re-entry" at LSAF. :o

Even in outer space, @Viking64 manages to get in the gutter! :smiley:
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 1,517
    Even in outer space, @Viking64 manages to get in the gutter! :smiley:

You bet Uranus.
    edited February 6
    Wait! Is that you @Viking64 ? Plan B after getting arrested at the airport?
  • WillowWillow Posts: 8,821
    Wait! Is that you @Viking64 ? Plan B after getting arrested at the airport?

He'll be sharing a cell with Russ. They'll get close and figure a way out.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607(pre), Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Tributaries Optical, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Rotel RDV 1045 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII and Android MXQ PRO. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Rotel 1075, Polk Patio 25x4, MIT AVT3 ICs

• headrottheadrott Posts: 5,192
    One question: Why? (Other than publicity, or is that the only reason?) It'll make me never want to buy a Tesla if it's a publicity event, only.

Can any Tesla fans give me a rational reason for putting a Tesla in space? ( Other than for a rediculus self promotion?)

Also to Tesla and all electric car fans, was the Tesla put into space using electricity? (Rhetorical question).
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:

"I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 28,351
    edited February 8
    headrott wrote: »
    Also to Tesla and all electric car fans, was the Tesla put into space using electricity? (Rhetorical question).

Good point...lmao.

How much carbon was put into the air with one rocket launch ? :)

answered my own question....

Derek P. Blake, former Retired Aerospace Theoretical Engineer at British Aerospace (1966-1982)

Answered Jan 13
    Typically a rocket burns off two-thirds of the propellant in the lower and one third in the upper atmosphere. The exhaust that’s trapped in the upper atmosphere is most concerning as it typically lingers in that region of the atmosphere for three to four years. The emissions consist of soot particles, aluminum particles, water vapor and other chemical remnants that can affect the atmosphere’s properties in a substantial way. Black carbon particles from all sources play a large part in atmospheric pollution, second only to carbon dioxide for adding heat to the atmosphere. This contributes to greenhouse effect and solar dimming. Add this to the much longer lifetime of rocket soot and the effect of rocket exhaust is multiplied, which could cause larger changes in atmospheric heating than the soot emitted by the world’s jet aircraft.

Rockets and missiles launched at most launch facilities are powered by motors using solid or liquid propellants or both, all of which emit potentially toxic emissions resulting from these propellants are HCl, NO2, HNO 3, hydrazines, and lesser amounts of other substances. Although the number of launches is moderate it is increasing with a future potential to escalate in the next decade with commercial and tourism launches to LEO and the Moon. This will then cause a significant problem, unless we quickly, an alternative to chemical or radiation emitting nuclear rockets.
    Post edited by tonyb on
    ERA D-5
    B&K 1403
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    SVS SB-2000 SUB
    Sony 4k bdp
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    Wireworld eclipse 7 Ic's
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 16,103
    tonyb wrote: »

Good point...lmao.

How much carbon was put into the air with one rocket launch ? :)

answered my own question....

Derek P. Blake, former Retired Aerospace Theoretical Engineer at British Aerospace (1966-1982)

Answered Jan 13
    Typically a rocket burns off two-thirds of the propellant in the lower and one third in the upper atmosphere. The exhaust that’s trapped in the upper atmosphere is most concerning as it typically lingers in that region of the atmosphere for three to four years. The emissions consist of soot particles, aluminum particles, water vapor and other chemical remnants that can affect the atmosphere’s properties in a substantial way. Black carbon particles from all sources play a large part in atmospheric pollution, second only to carbon dioxide for adding heat to the atmosphere. This contributes to greenhouse effect and solar dimming. Add this to the much longer lifetime of rocket soot and the effect of rocket exhaust is multiplied, which could cause larger changes in atmospheric heating than the soot emitted by the world’s jet aircraft.

Rockets and missiles launched at most launch facilities are powered by motors using solid or liquid propellants or both, all of which emit potentially toxic emissions resulting from these propellants are HCl, NO2, HNO 3, hydrazines, and lesser amounts of other substances. Although the number of launches is moderate it is increasing with a future potential to escalate in the next decade with commercial and tourism launches to LEO and the Moon. This will then cause a significant problem, unless we quickly, an alternative to chemical or radiation emitting nuclear rockets.

Aren't Tesla rockets electric?

:|
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

Never realized the exhaust can linger in the upper atmosphere for 3-4 years. In that time span, how many more rockets get launched. Add to that the thousands of jet aircraft that take off day in and day out all over the globe.

Kinda makes emissions from that Toyota look miniscule doesn't it ? But those cow fa-rts, yeah, those dang cows are a problem.

Can't make this stuff up kids, lol.

ERA D-5
    B&K 1403
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    SVS SB-2000 SUB
    Sony 4k bdp
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    Wireworld eclipse 7 Ic's
    edited February 8
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42980841

Just heard on BBC -- the news announcer Paul Henley said (and I am paraphrasing, but only a little) that the SpaceX rocket launch was a nice PR coup to distract from the announcement that Tesla (Motors) had just announced its largest ever quarterly loss.

My money is (ever more) on "Preston Tucker of the 21st Century" as Mr. Musk's legacy ;)

He'll sell Tesla to someone (GM? Tata? Some Chinese company?) for $5 billion -- I predcict.

:)
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• decaldecal Posts: 2,959
    I could buy a lot of music with that much mony !!!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • maximillianmaximillian Posts: 2,038
    Noise canceling headphones work great to remove the noise from treadmills. Wife uses them to watch Netflix off her tablet while she's on he elliptical and the treadmill.
    Noise canceling headphones work great to remove the noise from treadmills. Wife uses them to watch Netflix off her tablet while she's on he elliptical and the treadmill.

Think ya posted that in the wrong thread pal. lol
    ERA D-5
    B&K 1403
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    SVS SB-2000 SUB
    Sony 4k bdp
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    Wireworld eclipse 7 Ic's
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 899
    In today's local paper.
    uylbv7328s0k.jpg
    One question: Why? (Other than publicity, or is that the only reason?) It'll make me never want to buy a Tesla if it's a publicity event, only.

Can any Tesla fans give me a rational reason for putting a Tesla in space? ( Other than for a rediculus self promotion?)

What a publicity stunt yes! However it was the largest rocket booster ever as the race toward Mars goes on! From a purely technology perspective (as I share similar views posted above) it was way cool!
    edited February 8

What a publicity stunt yes! However it was the largest rocket booster ever as the race toward Mars goes on! From a purely technology perspective (as I share similar views posted above) it was way cool!

Not the largest ever -- currently the largest (still) flying.
    Saturn 5 was more powerful and had more lift capability.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/06/technology/future/biggest-rockets-falcon-heavy-comparison/index.html

Of course! Thanks doc!
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,033
    Holy Mackeral! The Earth is round!! Wow!
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,968
    edited February 8
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Holy Mackeral! The Earth is round!! Wow!

Just like a pizza... round and flat. Could be like your head too, but I digress. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,033
    Chicago deep dish......yum
    Thin crust.....yummy!
  • IrrenhausIrrenhaus Posts: 706
    I think the coolest part was not the launch or the Tesla car in space. But the actual landing of the 2 booster rockets.

Cheers
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RT150
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-Rythmik audio F25
    Player- Oppo BDP-103

Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30...Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player....Polk Audio LS70
    edited February 8
    Yep! Amazing! 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I believe the middle booster exploded.
    Of course! Thanks doc!

Even bigger than the venerable Saturn V coming soon:
    https://www.theverge.com/2014/9/1/6093189/nasa-is-building-the-largest-rocket-of-all-time-for-a-2018-launch
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,785
    Irrenhaus wrote: »
    I think the coolest part was not the launch or the Tesla car in space. But the actual landing of the 2 booster rockets.

Cheers

More air pollution.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

We found Sal!
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 1,474
    I prefer this kind of air pollution:

korek62w6o75kreenejb.gif
    F1nut wrote: »
    More air pollution.

Alan_r wrote: »
    My passion is for the music, my hobby is how I listen to it.
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 927
    I agree......why?

Publicity......how about a good amount of the pollution that was saved by driving a Tesla, was greatly negated by the burning of those rocket engines..... put back in the atmosphere.

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,376
    Gosh darn it...more junk in space...
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.