Shopping for a new laptop is...

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 17,355
    we had a MicroVAX in our lab in grad school -- ethernetted to the Chem department's high (for 1985) field NMR. Cuttin' edge stuff, in those days.
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,912
    edited February 10
    And she’s finally running to my spec, nice machine though, real nice with going to 16Gb of DDR4 and the SSD makes it scream, I like it.

Full specs,
    Dell Inspiron 15 5577 Gaming Laptop
    i5 7300HQ
    16Gb DDR4
    256 ADATA XPG X6000 M.2 PCI-E SSD
    1Tb Western Digital Blue HD
    nVidia GTX1050 4Gb Graphics
    15.6 Full HD 1920x1080 display
    Backlit keyboard
    Windows 10 Home

272alyjuwk5s.jpeg
    Post edited by nbrowser on
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    hrm I like this Dell...finally a laptop that doesn't feel like a slug compared to my main high powered desktop. It'll be a nice travel machine for portable gaming since it'll actually GAME!
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 3,119
    What games will you be playing on it?
    nbrowser wrote: »
    hrm I like this Dell...finally a laptop that doesn't feel like a slug compared to my main high powered desktop. It'll be a nice travel machine for portable gaming since it'll actually GAME!

Got Dayens?
    edited February 11
    Clipdat wrote: »
    What games will you be playing on it?

GTA V at medium obviously...at high on my main with the 1080 it's a bit...roughish lol, Burnout Paradise, Forza Horizon 3...yes it runs nice! Also Some Need For Speed Most Wanted, etc. Screenshot from the Dell...

f1t0kgi664ic.jpg
    Nice. Been playing Skyrim lately. 63 hours in.
    Got Dayens?
    edited February 11
    I ain't puttin a 72Gb game on a 256Gb SSD...it can live on the 1TB spinning platter!

jwyrlc3pmsh7.jpg

Is there a way to find out the vendor/manufacturer of the 1060? Might be nice to be able to use the appropriate manufacturer specific utility to control fan profiles, FPS cap, etc.

I have an EVGA card so I'm using Precision XOC and it's been great.
    Got Dayens?
    edited February 11
    Is there a way to find out the vendor/manufacturer of the 1060? Might be nice to be able to use the appropriate manufacturer specific utility to control fan profiles, FPS cap, etc.

I have an EVGA card so I'm using Precision XOC and it's been great.

Tech-Powerup GPU-Z...Google it....tells you a lot about your installed graphics card. But the card in this laptop is a 1050....not a 1060. And GPU-Z already tells me the GPU card is of Dell origins.
    Ah, my mistake. I keep wishfully thinking it was a 1060 lol.

I've used CPU-Z, never tried GPU-Z. Cool utilities. I also like their HW Monitor application, simple and to the point.

Interesting that it's branded Dell as the manufacturer. Must be the latest Foxconn special or whatever they could get the cheapest.

Any ability to control fan profiles, or do the stock ones seem adequate? Stock profiles always seem not aggressive to me. I'd rather have louder fan noise and lower temps.
    Tech-Powerup GPU-Z...Google it....tells you a lot about your installed graphics card. But the card in this laptop is a 1050....not a 1060. And GPU-Z already tells me the GPU card is of Dell origins.

Got Dayens?
    Ah, my mistake. I keep wishfully thinking it was a 1060 lol.

I've used CPU-Z, never tried GPU-Z. Cool utilities. I also like their HW Monitor application, simple and to the point.

Interesting that it's branded Dell as the manufacturer. Must be the latest Foxconn special or whatever they could get the cheapest.

Any ability to control fan profiles, or do the stock ones seem adequate? Stock profiles always seem not aggressive to me. I'd rather have louder fan noise and lower temps.

It's pretty locked down actually being a mobile part and not a full on desktop GPU. It's soldered direct to the motherboard unlike my decade old Acer with it's GT 240M on an add in card...in a LAPTOP! Then again that Acer is 18.4 inches big. But we'll see how she does in games once I get a few more installed and do some benchmarking. If this thing can hold a candle to my mini rig in the kitchen (FX 8370 R7 360 GPU) I'll be happy with it as a road warrior with gaming potential.
    edited February 11
    Do some tests on battery only power too, just to see how long it can crank on battery only!
    Got Dayens?
    edited February 11
    Do some tests on battery only power too, just to see how long it can crank on battery only!

I have a feeling it won't last too long lol. I've already been into the nVidia Control Panel and set the laptop to kinda forget about the Intel HD Graphics chip and use only the GTX 1050! Yeah performance all the way! The old Acer...you could WATCH the battery meter go down the second you naked the power cord if you were gaming...it was really on battery life.
    So the only advantage to letting the Intel integrated chipset handle basic Windows 2d tasks, YouTube, etc. is for battery/power savings?

I have a feeling it won't last too long lol. I've already been into the nVidia Control Panel and set the laptop to kinda forget about the Intel HD Graphics chip and use only the GTX 1050! Yeah performance all the way! The old Acer...you could WATCH the battery meter go down the second you naked the power cord if you were gaming...it was really on battery life.

Got Dayens?
    edited February 11
    So the only advantage to letting the Intel integrated chipset handle basic Windows 2d tasks, YouTube, etc. is for battery/power savings?

Pretty much. Unlike in say my main desktop where with the presence of the 1080 in the top PCI-E slot disables the integrated graphics on a laptop both stay enabled to allow for long battery life when it's loafing.
2»