Shopping for a new laptop is...

...one of the worst things to do it seems! Seriously all the options available it's like hunting for that gem in a sea of pure garbage. My current laptop an OLD Acer 8735G although huge by today's standards is a decade in age but oddly, still works fine for some odd reason. However as I age the thought of carrying the beast is becoming less as it's heavy and huge.

Seriously I need a new laptop...and this could get interesting...anyone got suggestions? Budget is about $800 Canadian dollars, about $650ish USD. Big thing is a possible 17.3 inch display...going to a 14 inch from 18.4 inch is not an option lol.
Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.

Comments

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 1,517
    You could get a MacBook, but then whispy boys will start following you around everywhere. :p
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 16,103
    I buy gently used Lenovos (business grade). They're plain to the point of homely, but they're capable, competent, reliable and well built. So far, any way.

Typin' this on a T440s, which is my 'work' 'pute (for my consultancy).
    I have a T430, too, which I use for the class I teach.

Both were inexpensive used (in like new condition) and have been great.
    Retrofitted the T430 with an SSD, got this one with an SSD when I bought it.

If your budget accommodates a Mac, and you're happy with a well-behaved but closed architecture (umm... ecosystem), that's a good way to go. I keep telling Mrs. H that she'd be happier in the Apple religion (since I have to provide most of her IT support!) ;)

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,908
    I have a Lenovo Yoga 910 and love it. I had a big HP 17" and went to the Yoga and found it to be extremely easy to move to the 14" screen. The portability and quality make it much more appealing than size.

This was a $1700 laptop when I got it. Best Buy had an open box unit for $1000 and I jumped quick. Absolutely no regret and definitely don't feel it's too small for the job. It even has a 4K screen.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: P3ESR, 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • Rick88Rick88 Posts: 12,684
    ...so 20th Century :p
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

some of like tactile feedback...
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,376
    edited February 5
    Someone shoot me...knowing how rock solid the old Acer was and still is I kinda went impulse and picked this bad boy up tonight...seems pretty potent for the price...

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-5-17-3-laptop-black-intel-core-i5-8250u-1tb-hdd-12gb-ram-windows-10/11624439.aspx?icmp=Recos_3across_tp_sllng_prdcts

Big screen, entry level dedicated graphics, lots of memory and again....a 17.3 inch display.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 1,474
    Nothing wrong with Acer as long as you remove all the bloatware.
    Alan_r wrote: »
    My passion is for the music, my hobby is how I listen to it.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Acer as long as you remove all the bloatware.

True...that or just grab a copy of un-bloated Win10 and install that instead and go from empty. That said I actually fired up my 10 year old Acer last night...booted in seconds (120Gb SSD hehe) and let it update itself....been a while. Still runs PERFECTLY for a decade old machine.
  • smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,035
    At least your new one has a disc drive, lot's of the newer ones don't. I can understand why most don't but I would always want one...
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,909
    Not that you can get one with a 17" screen but my new Samsung Chromebook plus rocks for app $400. I do have a Lenovo Laptop and a couple of desktop computers but the Chromebook does most of what I need and the screen is awesome. 12.3" 2400x1600 touchscreen with pen. Starts in app 7 seconds, battery lasts like 10 hrs. and light as can be. No MS updates needed and does updates in background. Requires very few restarts. I just frikken works. External and cloud storage are where it's at.
    HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A23 x2 Amps Parsound Halo A21 Amp & P5 Pre | Marantz SR5011 AVR | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's| Usher BE-616 Center|KEF T100 Surrounds | SVS SB2000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Bluesound Node 2 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | HP Elite Slice PC |Samsung 50" SUHD TV

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node | Audioengine P4 | Peachtree Nova 125SE |

Closet | SDA SRS 2.3's | Monitor 5B's Yamaha M80 | Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2385
    Not bad. 15.6 still big enough, imo.
    Not bad. 15.6 still big enough, imo.

Yep, and it's a full 1080P panel pushed by a full on GTX 1050 with 4Gb....the money part.
    1060 would be nicer, but yeah not bad for the price.
    edited February 9
    1060 would be nicer, but yeah not bad for the price.

A 1060 up here would push the price of that thing into the stratosphere lol $800 for a nice laptop like that is cheap....it is $300 off right now sooooooo. Dell is known to be decent for the money too...hrm. I haven't even opened the Acer yet...exchange would be EASY and I kinda like the fact the Dell has a backlit keyboard...so typing in the dark would be easier.
    I like backlit keyboards for aesthetics. But if you need to look down at the keys to be able to type in the dark... you're doing it wrong.
    nbrowser wrote: »
    I kinda like the fact the Dell has a backlit keyboard...so typing in the dark would be easier.

I like backlit keyboards for aesthetics. But if you need to look down at the keys to be able to type in the dark... you're doing it wrong.
    I kinda like the fact the Dell has a backlit keyboard...so typing in the dark would be easier.

I ain't no Mavis Beacon learner here and with one badly hacked digit on my right hand at the moment...well lol. Also...I'm no spring chicken anymore...a little extra brightness is always nice.
    Ouch, hope your finger feels better soon.
    I ain't no Mavis Beacon learner here and with one badly hacked digit on my right hand at the moment...well lol. Also...I'm no spring chicken anymore...a little extra brightness is always nice.

edited February 9
    Me too...kinda got it caught by a flag nut during a lift kit install...the flag end got it hard....live and learn.

And the nice thing...at least Dell is North American based-ish...not a bad thing?
  • IrrenhausIrrenhaus Posts: 706
    edited February 9
    BB open box deals are great if you find it at the right time. I got this one not long ago for $700.00 great laptop.

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-q534ux-bbi7t16-15-6-core-i7-6500u-16-gb-ram-512-gb-ssd-plus-2-tb-hdd/specs/

Cheers
    AVR-Onkyo709
    AMP- Parasound 2125, Adcom 585
    Mains for HT and some Music- RTi12s
    Main for Music only- Linn Keilidh or Usher V-601 and SDA 1C
    PreAmp for Music: Cary AE-3
    Rear- RT150
    Center-CSi5
    Sub-Rythmik audio F25
    Player- Oppo BDP-103

Bedroom rig:
    Pionner Elite VSX-30...Onkyo CS-5VL SACD Player....Polk Audio LS70
    Irrenhaus wrote: »
    BB open box deals are great if you find it at the right time. I got this one not long ago for $700.00 great laptop.

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-q534ux-bbi7t16-15-6-core-i7-6500u-16-gb-ram-512-gb-ssd-plus-2-tb-hdd/specs/

Cheers

Holy hell! That'd be worth like $3,000 up here lol. Nice machine though! Wish we could get more open box deals up here but they are few and far between. The little Dell at $300 off is quite good. I did go get it and a second 8Gb stick of RAM and a 256Gb M.2 SSD for it...it'll be upgraded before too long.
    Any pics?
    I did go get it and a second 8Gb stick of RAM and a 256Gb M.2 SSD for it...it'll be upgraded before too long.

9li57x5md800.jpeg
    Suh-weeeet! Looks awesome.
    edited February 10
    Yay now to let it restore itself from a USB stick onto the new SSD...this thing is gonna be fairly zippy now.
  • Msabot1Msabot1 Posts: 1,937
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I buy gently used Lenovos (business grade). They're plain to the point of homely, but they're capable, competent, reliable and well built. So far, any way.

Typin' this on a T440s, which is my 'work' 'pute (for my consultancy).
    I have a T430, too, which I use for the class I teach.

Both were inexpensive used (in like new condition) and have been great.
    Retrofitted the T430 with an SSD, got this one with an SSD when I bought it.

If your budget accommodates a Mac, and you're happy with a well-behaved but closed architecture (umm... ecosystem), that's a good way to go. I keep telling Mrs. H that she'd be happier in the Apple religion (since I have to provide most of her IT support!) ;)

Yea..just two things to say about that companies line...Superfish..and Bloatware..anybody using those devices had better watch out...
    I gotta a IT guy who tidies 'em up.

Yep..that's what ya need..probably very reliable performance after going over like that...off the shelf..no way in hades...
    There's an old ex-DEC guy in our old town who has a small but thriving IT consulting business. We've been using him for years for support of various kinds -- plus he buys and sells used 'putes. He is good, and reliable, and cost-effective.

We still use his services, even though we live 120 miles away :) One of us (i.e., me and/or Mrs. H) is still down that-a-way regularly, so it all works out.

DEC was a very solid company...very familiar with PDP..Decsystem 10 and 20.. VAX 780... Back then you had to know a little about assembly and command structure to get those to work for ya..Pre Windows days..no such thing as point and click like there is now...