Looking for Monitor Ideas

kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
edited February 5 in Speakers
Im kicking around Dynaudio, Usher, Harbeth, etc. Budget is 1500 ish, 2000 max. The room itself is 10 wide by 16 deep. Im really looking for more soundstage width and imaging than my previous speakers. On a side note....I have Boston Acoustics A70s set up upstairs in a much wider room which I am really digging. Any ideas...used is OK w me.
«1

Comments

  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
    BTW....here is the room:
    ewrspu2w0jca.jpeg
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,305
    I'll take the Clint Eastwood pic there for 5 bucks. :)

    What were your previous speakers ? Will you be using a subwoofer also ? Just for 2 channel ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

    Music-

    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
    Just 2 channel.....previous were 703s. Trying to avoid a sub but not completly out of question.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,209
    edited February 5
    Bryston Mini T?

    bymit_ng-LARGE.jpg
    Got Dayens?
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,305
    edited February 5
    Harbeths would be a good choice....but, first tell me what you didn't like about the 703's . Also the type of music you mostly listen to.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

    Music-

    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
    tonyb wrote: »
    Harbeths would be a good choice....but, first tell me what you didn't like about the 703's . Also the type of music you mostly listen to.
    I listen to real jazz, new college type of sound bands, classical, ambient, a bit of what used to be call alternative.
    Honestly, I thought the 703s were lacking in depth, soundstage, imaging and on some types of music vocal were not as clear or clean sounding. I know alot of this has to do with the room....

  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Bryston Mini T?

    bymit_ng-LARGE.jpg
    Why so....or why do you like them....just picking your brain

  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,305
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Harbeths would be a good choice....but, first tell me what you didn't like about the 703's . Also the type of music you mostly listen to.
    I listen to real jazz, new college type of sound bands, classical, ambient, a bit of what used to be call alternative.
    Honestly, I thought the 703s were lacking in depth, soundstage, imaging and on some types of music vocal were not as clear or clean sounding. I know alot of this has to do with the room....

    The Harbeths would probably excel in those areas, they have a bit of a laid back sound though, "the English sound" we like to call it referring to classic English monitors. Hard do to better though for those upper registers.

    Dynaudio is more upfront and dynamic, can be a bit bright with the wrong gear attached to them.

    Ushers, are very revealing also, need decent electronics to perform their best imho.

    I think you'll find with better quality bookies, your upstream electronics are going to play a bigger role in what you hear.

    One of the guys in Rockford has his Odyssey Lorreli's up in the FM. They are floorstanders, but smallish ones. I personally had a chance to hear these and they are extremely suited for your preferences.

    Other than that, there is a host of bookies that could fit your needs and we'd be all over the map throwing up suggestions. Maybe paint us a picture of what the systems electronics will look like as some suggestions will be dependent on that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

    Music-

    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • JaybeezJaybeez Posts: 677
    May want to consider Ascend Sierra 2s. They have RAAL tweeters and the detail is incredible. I Bought mine after spending time listening to Revel Gems and felt they were comparable if not better. Tons of reviews on the net. I really love mine on jazz.
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; LSiM 703 ; LSiM 704C ; FXi4s ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

    2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Rythmik F12SE

    "And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through."
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,209
    I don't personally have experience with them, I just thought they would meet your requirement of being able to go low, and get along w/o a sub, because they have a beefy looking 8" woofer.
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Why so....or why do you like them....just picking your brain

    Got Dayens?
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I don't personally have experience with them, I just thought they would meet your requirement of being able to go low, and get along w/o a sub, because they have a beefy looking 8" woofer.
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Why so....or why do you like them....just picking your brain

    I have never seen those before so I will check them out...thanks!
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,209
    Specs look interesting. They're 4ohm!

    Specifications:

    Frequency Response: 33Hz to 20Khz (+/- 3dB)
    Impedance: 4 Ohms (nominal)
    Sensitivity: 86 dB SPL @ 1 meter with 1 watt (anechoic)
    Maximum SPL: 112 dB SPL @ 1 meter
    Recommended Power: 10 watts to 250 watts RMS
    Tweeter: Single 1.0"
    Midrange: Single 5.25"
    Mid-Woofer: Single 8.0"
    Crossover: 160 Hz & 2.3kHz
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I have never seen those before so I will check them out...thanks!

    Got Dayens?
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,307
    I love my dynaudios. Best soundstage and top to bottom musicality I have ever had, and these are their entry level models. They crush my old 703s in every way honestly, save perhaps bass slam (but they are in a much bigger room so it’s not really a fair comparison).
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Parasound HCA-1205A; Arcam rDac; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

    Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine Mini, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,735
    I personally would add Focal and Totem to your list. Happy shopping!
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,524
    edited February 5
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

    "Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,305
    Salks Focal Dynaudio Totem Rel....all good suggestions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

    Music-

    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,209
    How much for the Boba Fett Pez dispenser?
    Got Dayens?
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
    Clipdat wrote: »
    How much for the Boba Fett Pez dispenser?
    Dude....part of my prized robot collection. The kids arent allow to even look at those!

  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
    Thanks for the suggestions....here is what is in my rig now which will be staying cor awhile:
    Marantz 8004 SACD player (I will ugrade to a separate DAC again before I buy a new player)
    Cary SLP 03 tubed pre
    Auralic Aries Mini
    MIT Shotgun cables throughout

    My current amp and PC will get swapped out in the future - Parasound HCA1000 and I forget which PC.
  • TNTsTunesTNTsTunes Posts: 754
    I'm guessing you want monitors that can be bi-wired since you use bi-wire MIT Shotgun speaker cables.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
    edited February 5
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    I'm guessing you want monitors that can be bi-wired since you use bi-wire MIT Shotgun speaker cables.
    Leaning that direction...which would limit any Harbeths unless I could find them single wired....which seems improbable
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 263
    edited February 5
    Tekton Design Impact Monitors look to be in your range. http://www.tektondesign.com/impact-monitor.html

    I’m trying to justify in my head why I need Double Impacts, I have 5 setups in 4 rooms. Check out Zero Fidelity’s review.
    Music-2.0 Raidho D-3.1 | Audio Research Ref 40 | Jeff Roland 925 | Esoteric Grandioso K1 | Transparent Reference, IC, Speaker and Power | HRS SXR Rack
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,124
    On the Chicago craigslist. They had Dynaudio c3 for around 3k but they have been on there for a bit so you might have a bit of wiggle room.

    Got a KEF dealer around you?

    I had the bryston mini t. Fun speaker lots of bass but i didn't care for the top end.
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery

    HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,774
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,124
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

    I have never heard of them but they look well built.
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery

    HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,774
    Looking at the room, I like the idea of the Odyssey Lorreli. Have a similar midwoofer as the Usher, but not as forward with the soft dome tweet

    Being rear ported you can use the speaker placement to either enhance the bass, or tame with panels if you can't get them out far enough
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,666
    Another option is the Rosso Fiorentino Giglio. Retail is $2400 a pair and since you already have stands...

    The Elba, the floor standing version, put the 703 to shame. It was a tough choice between the Elba and Usher Mini X between which one I liked, and the Elba hits your desires. I chose the Elba.
    audiothesis.com/

    Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
    edited February 6
    There are a pair of Totem Rainmakers on Agon which are a bit rough but the price is right. The Silverline Menuets and Prelude are also interesting, even though the Prelude is a floorstander it apears pretty unobtrusive. Havenet made it though all the suggestions yet but thanks!
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,305
    edited February 6
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions....here is what is in my rig now which will be staying cor awhile:
    Marantz 8004 SACD player (I will ugrade to a separate DAC again before I buy a new player)
    Cary SLP 03 tubed pre
    Auralic Aries Mini
    MIT Shotgun cables throughout

    My current amp and PC will get swapped out in the future - Parasound HCA1000 and I forget which PC.

    Gotcha man, I think between the Cary, MIT cables, and the Parasound, you have plenty of warmth there to go ahead with some of the more forward sounding speakers suggested.

    Tell ya what though, if your looking for a completely different sound than the 703's you had.....Dynaudio has to be at the top of your list.

    Don't put too much weight either on a speaker that you can't bi-wire because your cables are bi-wire, just double up on the posts.

    So many good bookies mentioned, hard to pick....still think the Lorreli's in the FM for a g note is a darn good deal though.....and leaves you some room to upgrade the amp with your budget.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

    Music-

    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1403 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 3,246
    tonyb wrote: »
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions....here is what is in my rig now which will be staying cor awhile:
    Marantz 8004 SACD player (I will ugrade to a separate DAC again before I buy a new player)
    Cary SLP 03 tubed pre
    Auralic Aries Mini
    MIT Shotgun cables throughout

    My current amp and PC will get swapped out in the future - Parasound HCA1000 and I forget which PC.

    Gotcha man, I think between the Cary, MIT cables, and the Parasound, you have plenty of warmth there to go ahead with some of the more forward sounding speakers suggested.

    Tell ya what though, if your looking for a completely different sound than the 703's you had.....Dynaudio has to be at the top of your list.

    Don't put too much weight either on a speaker that you can't bi-wire because your cables are bi-wire, just double up on the posts.

    So many good bookies mentioned, hard to pick....still think the Lorreli's in the FM for a g note is a darn good deal though.....and leaves you some room to upgrade the amp with your budget.
    In the FM here?

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!