Sad news on physical media

2»

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited February 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I think you're missing the fact that I can stream a virtually unlimited library at cd quality for 20 bucks a month, and the labels are not making much from this model. So Unless there is a connection between the end of physical media and the increase royalties from streaming companies (or the end of streaming as we know it which I don't see happening), then I don't see why the labels would want to end physical media.

Put it this way, I guarantee labels make more money off selling a physical cd (even at a discounted rate on amazon) than they make from me streaming the same album on Tidal. So why get rid of CDs???

Your kinda making my point. If you can stream cd quality for 20 bucks a month, what does that do for physical media ? Royalties wise, the artists get screwed.

If you buy a physical cd, royalties get paid once, the label gets paid once. I can then download that cd and SHARE it with others with no further royalties being paid....and as many times and with as many people as I wish.

The artists get screwed on music services, which is why most are touring again....even the old timers. The artists would love to sell cd's and albums, That's not the trend though. Some will produce their own cd's and bypass the labels, but not too many have the coin to do so. Aside from production costs, art, you have marketing and distribution. How many bands/singers are proficient in these areas ? Sure, they can farm out these tasks, but you have to pay along the way to each entity eating up profits.

We're talking past each other I believe. My point is one without the other does the labels no good. If you end physical media but don't address the lack of royalties from streaming and youtube, then you are just cutting out one revenue stream, though an admittedly shrinking one. They make so little from streaming at this point...

This new bill and the lawsuit against Spotify might just transform streaming the way that this lawsuit paved the way for paid streaming: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A&M_Records,_Inc._v._Napster,_Inc.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    the record companies and streaming services will always find a way to foul out the artist.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2018

I think both worlds can coexist, but that doesn't translate to more profits for the labels. There seems to be a lost art, this generation never knew. That's the art of cruising vinyl/cd stores and looking at the cover art. It was sort of a romantic experience....a connection with the music that has been lost these past few generations. If your a book reader, the same thing has happened. Cruising the book store and glancing over the book art, scanning the prologue, and the feel of a real book in your hands can also be a religious experience. Now you have to read books on a screen, ereader, tablet/phone etc.[/quote]

That's why I'm glad we have a few independent stores in the area there is nothing better than reminiscing the old times of flipping through new and old vinyl and CDs' the one I frequent the most has that old 70s vibe concert shirts, posters, used vintage gear music playing while your sort through the selections deciding what to get. I hope the new trend the labels are going will give the indepents more business.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    The demise of physical media is exactly what the labels want and there's a ton of suckers falling for it.

Please explain.

I won't answer for him, but I'm guessing because it's cheaper for the labels to sell digital files than bear the costs of producing physical media. Plus they can actually charge more than what they were getting selling a cd.

CD'S won't completely go away. They may become a niche market though. People still want cd's, even if it's to download them on their own server to stream.

I think both worlds can coexist, but that doesn't translate to more profits for the labels. There seems to be a lost art, this generation never knew. That's the art of cruising vinyl/cd stores and looking at the cover art. It was sort of a romantic experience....a connection with the music that has been lost these past few generations. If your a book reader, the same thing has happened. Cruising the book store and glancing over the book art, scanning the prologue, and the feel of a real book in your hands can also be a religious experience. Now you have to read books on a screen, ereader, tablet/phone etc.

CD's aren't going anywhere, they are simply being removed from B&M stores. If I want a CD, I simply go to Amazon and buy it and nine times out of ten I'll get a free digital download of it as well.

As for the art of cruising music & books stores, I have totally lost interest in doing so. It's a big time waster, and usually I come home empty handed. For cd's, music and movies, and some ebooks I go to Amazon.

I stopped buy paper books years ago for 1. The print simply got too hard to read comfortably. 2. Ran out of space to put said books. 3. Rising costs.

Since switching over first to a Sony Ereader and now to using my Smart phone or tablet, I have 1,620 books to choose from on all of them as well as my pc. And the best thing of all, is that I can adjust the font to a size that is comfortable for me to read for hours!

I am also able to download library books which cost me nothing, and purchase other books for a fraction of the cost that going to a store would cost me in time and money. The Library books are from the major publishing companies, and the others are authors who are publishing their own books which the publishing companies would refuse to publish in favor of their few mega authors most of whom I'm not interested in reading.

I'm not interested in hanging on to the past just because it's the past especially if I don't benefit from it. Life doesn't stand still, so I can't do so either. I'd much rather continue to learn and grow and jump on the current improvements that life has to offer.

This all comes down to choice Tony, and now more than ever before, due to advances, we have more choices, and can decide for ourselves what's convenient and right for ourselves!
    Post edited by cfrizz on
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I have 1620 books....

You mean ones about the Pilgrims? I am related to some of those Mayflower folks. Francis Eaton and family, John Tilley and family, and John Howland. I would share more information about who John Howland married, but it's too naughty for this forum. :p
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    F1nut wrote: »
    The demise of physical media is exactly what the labels want and there's a ton of suckers falling for it.

Please explain.

You don't really own anything. That's what the labels want, total control.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    The only thing BB is doing, is using their CD space for items that render better profit...happens all the time
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The only thing BB is doing, is using their CD space for items that render better profit...happens all the time

They fouled up their CD space when they switched to them awful racks that make you crawl around on your hands and knees to see anything below the 3rd shelf. In all honesty they really quit selling 5yrs ago. Now corporate can say look here's the metrics on sales that slid 5 yrs ago.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Rick88 wrote: »
    Funny how BB is going to stop selling CDs, but you can now walk into Walmart and buy vinyl...

I was in a local Barnes and Noble store a couple of weeks ago and saw hundreds of LPs sitting in old school display racks. There was a really good mix of re-release classic albums and new releases. The racks took up about a third of the media section in the store. Gave me vinyl flashbacks to 1980.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Outside of the Bay City Rollers and Terry Jacks seasons in the sun cd's I bought for @tonyb birthday, I haven't bought a cd since got Tidal.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • My 2cents goes back to the format wars of DVD-A and SACD, if one would have come out ahead it may have given the hard media additional life. The next level of high quality format died before the old one was done.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    erniejade wrote: »
    Outside of the Bay City Rollers and Terry Jacks seasons in the sun cd's I bought for @tonyb birthday, I haven't bought a cd since got Tidal.
    You blew it... he only listens to K-tel releases of Slim Whitman and Tiny Tim. When he’s feeling funky, occasionally some Barry Manilow, but that’s about it. Next time ask us so he won’t regift that stuff to someone else.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    edited February 2018
    Terry Jacks seasons in the sun cd
    Wow last time i heard that Larry Lujack was playing it on WLS.

• nooshinjohn
    The prices of CD players on the secondary market have cratered recently as well. I can’t give my Krell Evo away.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    You blew it... he only listens to K-tel releases of Slim Whitman and Tiny Tim. When he’s feeling funky, occasionally some Barry Manilow, but that’s about it. Next time ask us so he won’t regift that stuff to someone else.

Maybe he will give it to @pitdogg2 for his birthday coming up.

Pit, right after old uncle Larry played it, i think he followed it up with Gilbert O Sullivan alone argain naturally before Animal stories.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Oh, you can "give it away", all right. I'm your man. I'll even pay for shipping! Boom!
    The prices of CD players on the secondary market have cratered recently as well. I can’t give my Krell Evo away.

• nooshinjohn
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Oh, you can "give it away", all right. I'm your man. I'll even pay for shipping! Boom!

Tonyb... would you take care of my light work for me please? :D:p

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Clipdat wrote: »

Tonyb... would you take care of my light work for me please? :D:p

Yo, Tone, dat don't mean yous gotta whack em.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHzh0PvMWTI
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Yo, Tone, dat don't mean yous gotta whack em.

• nooshinjohn