Samsung or sony tv

I havebeen outof the tv market since 08 and i have not kept upon advances. I am trying to figure out if a 400$ Samsung UN50MU6070FXZASKU. Vs sony 1k 900 series ia worth double the price? If so why?

Both are 4k ( although cable doesnt broadcast 4k) and have a lot of the same stuff on them. Or am i better off keeping what i already have? Current is old 32" 720p from 08. Nothing is wrong with it so i dont need one but waa thinking of a bigger screen.

My fear is buying a 4k tv, hooking it up and it looks like junk. Here is why... RR back to 08. Excited toget rid of the old flat tube monster. Come home and hooked it up and the old monster looked 100x better. I was ready to return it until a friend asked me if i had HD service? I did not and at that time didnt know i needed it. Held off on returning it until i had HD. Now paying more per month for service, the flat looked better then tube. I am afraid of buying a tv while cable isnt 4k and it looking bad.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Sony, but not that one. Step up one more grade and thank me later. The Sony does a fantastic job of upscaling HD sources, and surprisingly good job with 480i OTA signal.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Step up above the 900? Like 920?,
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    I was thinking of the sony. XBR55X900E
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    edited February 2018
    Sony tri-luminous display set. Hands down.
    Get a hold of Tonyb and go see his in real time, not a store display.
    Fab u lous

I have not seen tonyb's but have seen that model in home it or the next step will be the set i get next.
  • FestYboy
    I'm rocking the xbr49x800e, and I totally misread the OP. The 900 is where you want to go easily for that price. That's a step up from mine for the same price. It's a no brainer.
  • erniejade
    edited February 2018
    So the up scaling on the sony is worth double the price of the samsung? I did see them both in the store and on their display they looked too close to tell so i agree. The store is a bad place to get to know how it will really look at home without a 4k demo running.

Sony also has a $500 one as well.. ?
    KD50X690ESKU
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2018
    Sony, hands down I own a XBR55850B, and couldn't be happier with the picture, only watch 4k movies and Blu Rays and stream Netflix and Vudu with it. I don't watch regular programming at all with it except for sports on occasion.

I had a Samsug 4K and had it repaired a few times and got my money back. I'm not saying that means Samsug's are bad because I had trouble with one, the Sony has a better picture overall my opinion anyways.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • FestYboy
    Well, think of it like this: Sony is Blu Ray...

The xbr series like @gudnoyez and I have are the HDR capable units and have the better upscaling. That's where you want to sit.
  • erniejade
    Cool. Thanks all!!.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I thought I wanted a Samsung and bought one initially.
    I felt that the interface was cartoony and didn't flow very well.
    I remember not liking the remote.
    Main thing though, was the glossy display. Hated it.
    Returned and did some more research.
    Sony XBR was the just right porridge for me.
    So pleased that I haven't even felt inclined to look at another tv in years.
    I'll find the Sony XBR of women one day... So far, just a buncha Samsungs.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I went from a 2007 Hitachi 57” 1080i RPTV to a Sony 75” Z9D in November 2016. Along with the Oppo 203 4K UHD BR player, it is the best video in my life. As with anything and everything, you get what you pay for. Good luck.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Lots of Sony lovers on this forum, but why are you comparing them to a Samsung that costs half the price? Some may disagree, but there are some nice Samsung TVs available if you're willing to spend >$400. And LG as well.
  • Tekkis
    Tekkis Posts: 120
    I would vote for the 900e as well. Have one myself and it has better contrast and brightness than the 6000 series samsungs due to the full array backlight with local dimming. Also has a 120hz panel vs a 60hz panel wich gives smooth video for both 24 frame movie cadence as well as 30 hz video.
    System Details:
    Marantz SR 5010, Rega RP1, Marantz CD 5004, Denon DRR-680, Carver M-4.0t
    Polk SDA 1C (modified), Definitive Technologies BP-10, Polk Audio CS400i
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    erniejade wrote: »
    I was thinking of the sony. XBR55X900E
    The Samsung to compare in that price range and size would be UN55MU8000. IMO, it's one of the best values out there. Great features, but not TOTL pricing.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I will only get Sony TVs, they have the best picture going. It is the only product that I will buy from them, and the only one that they do a good job on. IMHO.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • erniejade
    I just googled. XBR55X900E vs UN55MU8000. Both look like they are great with the sony slightly above it but not by much however, both side viewing angle didnt do so hot. Im sure its still better then my 08 720p tv but it makes me wonder if they make one that has everything they do especially the better upscaling with decent side angle.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Side angle is much better than just a few years ago, that being said they will never match plasma or oled in that respect.
    Make your guest sit in the angle :p
  • erniejade
    Easy enough to have them sit on the love seat lol. Seems like most places have the XBR55X900E for the same price right now. I do like the smaller footprint on it as well. Its between FRY's and best buy right now since i have both of them close to me. Still looking for a better price but, i haven't found it.
  • erniejade
    On best buy web site, they are advertising their credit card and you get 10%back on your first purchase, 24 months no finance charge, free delivery for over $799 and 14.99 haul away your old tv! I might just do that and have them haul away my old 145 lb flat tube samsung from up stairs! This might work out better then i thought.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    erniejade wrote: »
    I just googled. XBR55X900E vs UN55MU8000. Both look like they are great with the sony slightly above it but not by much however, both side viewing angle didnt do so hot. Im sure its still better then my 08 720p tv but it makes me wonder if they make one that has everything they do especially the better upscaling with decent side angle.

No lcd/led TV is going to be great at side angle viewing, just the nature of the beast. Plasma was great at it, and you can pick up a Plasma for under 300 bucks on CL. Throw a Roku stick at it or hook up a smart Bdp, and you have a smart TV.

4k, while not broadcast on TV, the sets still upscales 1080p to somewhere around 2100-2200, depending.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I have been using a Sony 900E 49" as a computer monitor and it's fantastic, the nice thing about the Sony is it also does 1080P at 120hz so if you do any PC gaming that's a bonus. I use mine for gaming as well, and I prefer 1080P at 120hz over 4K at 60.

I'm outrageously biased against Samsung so I'll keep my mouth shut, but the Sony is a great option.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Another vote for Sony. Could be wrong but i don't think Samsung is Dolby Vision capable, while the Sony is.