Hooking up vintage M10a xovers with RDO 0194 and 6500 midwoofers.

Hello,

The big caps look not very good and need to be replaced
I´m not shure if the Mids 6500 are the original match to this crossovers.
my question is if I should use theese crossovers as they are or I should change any of the capacitor´s and resistor´s values due to the new tweeters also.

Thank you.

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,818
    Well there are a number of Monitor 10's. Do yours have fuses in the back? It also looks like they came with at least 4 different tweeters original had Peerless then SL2000, SL2500 and SL3000 maybe as an upgrade.

None of the schematics I see had the MW6500 All I see is MW6501 and MW6503

If they had the Peerless tweeter the RD-0194 is not the replacement. The RD-0149 replaces the SL2000 only and the RD-0198 would replace the SL3000 for sure and I think the SL2500
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well there are a number of Monitor 10's. Do yours have fuses in the back? It also looks like they came with at least 4 different tweeters original had Peerless then SL2000, SL2500 and SL3000 maybe as an upgrade.

None of the schematics I see had the MW6500 All I see is MW6501 and MW6503

If they had the Peerless tweeter the RD-0194 is not the replacement. The RD-0194 replaces the SL2000 only and the RD-0198 would replace the SL3000 for sure and I think the SL2500

Fixed it

• Yes these are 10A serial 86090 crossover with a fuse rack at the back
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 1,357
    So they should have the peerless. Leave those tweets alone.
  • You mean they would not work properly?
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 1,357
    Correct. The rd-0194 is a replacement/upgrade for the sl2000 only. Most feel that the peerless is a superior unit to the SL and RDOs
  • Well, I allready got them and the budget is now gone so let´s see how the speaker behaves.

By the way the fuse at the back of the crossover how many amps should it be?
    1 amp fast blow i believe
    And yes the first gen monitor 10's used mw6500
  • thank you for your help.
    Actually since I am so fan of theese old models and in my country they are so very rare I decided to make my own speaker from spare parts.
    I plan make a tower config. Mid w.- Tweet-Mid w.- P.R. because of the dimension the M10, kind of Rta11t but only one P.R.
    I hace decided the wide to be 14" since the P.R. is 10".
    To keep overall M10 volume I made this table of aprox. mesured;

Deep=13,5. Tall=27,3
    13. 28,3
    12. 30
    11,5. 32

What would you choose?

I know that without the proper analisys is just kind of a guess experiment but I can allways make a M10 cabinet if the result is a complete disaster, but I love to try new things.

Finally found a wiring diagram of M10 with the fuse but the woofers are mw6501 in It (I guess new version of theese).
    I would like to renew caps just because aging.
    The diagram says;
    12 μF electrolitic
    12 μF Mylar
    34 μF electrolitic
    Since I am mounting the rdos194 can anybody tell me if should i put the same values or could improve by changing something?

I would really apreciate any suggestion on any part of this proyect.
    Thanx in advance.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,785
    luiyiboll wrote: »
    Well, I allready got them and the budget is now gone so let´s see how the speaker behaves.

By the way the fuse at the back of the crossover how many amps should it be?

Not a good idea. The mounting cutout for the Peerless is smaller than the RD0194, so the 194 will not fit without alterations. That's not to mention the Peerless is the better tweeter.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• I bought rdos 'cause i read un many threats that were an upgrade and that were quite good but also cause It is hard to find the peerless at a reasonable price vía Internet.
    Well until i put to work Its gonna be some time since I don't have It I Will try to find peerless and sell the rdos. Actually all parts arrived so i Will work starting on caps lets ser what recommendations i find on my audio forum on the search for theese.
    Will post a sketch when i have decided on cabinet measures to ask for opinions.
    Thanks for your help.