Had a very unsavory discussion with a member of the audiophile community today

Options
stangman67
stangman67 Posts: 2,185
edited February 2018 in The Clubhouse
Polkies,

Figured I'd share this with you as I found the whole premise of this to be immoral.

As many of you know at this point I recently purchased a Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1, the guys over at Backert Labs have been absolutely fantastic to work with. Andy has been incredibly helpful to me as I learn this whole tube thing. I am in the searching a set of tubes for the Rhumba that will suit my tastes and my equipment, in this I purchased a set of RCA 5814wa's from a reputable company that many of you are very familiar with. I am not going to name said company outright as I find that distasteful but if you search in my threads in the 2 channel section, you fill find out. In fact I am sure many of you will know just by some of the things the guy said.

Anyway, the owner of the company called me today while I was at work after he noticed I listed the Rhumba 1.1 as the equipment I was buying the tubes for. I was expecting him to ask what I was trying to accomplish and maybe recommend a better tube for what I was trying to do. Instead in a very elaborate 15 minute (one sided) conversation, he told me that the Rhumba was not a very nice piece of equipment and that I should return if still able and buy a Primaluna, which he sells at his shop. Went on to say that the Rhumba should be selling for half of what they sell it at. Spoke very highly of his "over 40 years experience" and how he knows what he is talking about. He claimed that the Primaluna was a superior unit due to the 15 pounds heavier that it weighs and the point to point wiring and the fact that it uses tube rectification and yada yada yada. He also stated that Backert Labs use poor rotary source select switches that allow bleed in between sources and even went on to said that users in populous areas could pick up interference due to radio stations with the style switch. Seems pretty outlandish to me but I don't claim to be an audio engineer. He told me I could tell the quality of the unit just by looking at the pictures of the innards of both units and a bunch of other stuff. I think you get the point and probably know who I am talking about.

I was very taken aback by this and frankly offended as I spent my hard earned money on a quality piece of equipment and he thought it was acceptable to bash the equipment and company. The sales tactic of bashing another company is a demonstration of the type of person this guy is. I cancelled my tube order with him and will never be doing business with said company or representative. Honestly it just pains me to see this type of thing in the community where for the most part everybody is great. The stark difference from the(awesome) people at Backert Labs and this company is eye opening.

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. Thanks for listening, I'd love to hear some of your thoughts

Zach
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    Sounds like Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio was trying a little too hard to make a... deal.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I was one of the several members of this Forum who auditioned the Rhumba, when the folks at Backert Labs graciously allowed us to do so.

I affirm everything you said: First, Andy and Backert Labs were great to deal with. They made improvements in the Rhumba based on members' comments and quickly dealt with any problem that came up int he course of the audition units' peregrinations around the country for several weeks.

Second, as I said in my review of the sound quality of the Rhumba and as virtually every other reviewer said, the Rhumba is a quality unit with excellent sound quality.

Like you, I my BS (not "Bachelor of Science") detectors immediate go on emergency alert as soon as any sales guy starts bad mouthing a product he/she does not sell or manufacture, if you are talking to a manufacturer. That kind of behavior just doesn't pass the smell test.

You did the right thing.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Yep agreed - I had the Rhumba and thought it was solid, as were Andy and Backert throughout the whole test. If you were to Google for a sometimes difficult reputation online, I would be willing to bet you'd get a lot more knocks on the afformentioned seller than Backert.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Clipdat
    Options
    It's too bad I missed out on the Rhumba demo! Sounds like a really nice pre.
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Yep agreed - I had the Rhumba and thought it was solid, as were Andy and Backert throughout the whole test. If you were to Google for a sometimes difficult reputation online, I would be willing to bet you'd get a lot more knocks on the afformentioned seller than Backert.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    When you mentioned this company as a source I bit my tongue so as to not look petty, but, you are not the first horror story I've heard about that company. Basically, they're great as long as it's in the "courting" stage, but, can be terrible when things don't go their way, or, you have an issue.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    I'll defer comment other than to say that denigrating the competition, while a very common sales tactic, isn't a very good one.

One thing I always liked about Soundscape - they wouldn't speak ill of good products sold by their competitors (in the hotly-competitive hifi days of the 1970s).

Oops, I'll say one other thing -- I've never been very favorably disposed towards Primaluna -- and I will leave it at that.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I was impressed by the generosity of the Rhumba audition when reading that thread. Kinda cool, getting updates on Polkies shipping or meeting F2F every step of the way to give the baton to the next guy.

That epitomizes customer service.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I dislike Kevin Deal

I called him one time last year about Pope 6sn7 tubes, I bought a cary slp98 f1 from him in the past.

Guy treated me like dirt.

Something like you’re not worth my time on the phone.

Never buying anything from Upscale ever.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I just did a search for this guy and you can tell a lot about who he is in the first few seconds of his videos. :p
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    This is an all to common occurrence with Upscale Audio and Kevin Deal. I’ve never purchased anything from him because his reputation as a less than honorable salesperson precedes him. Forget that guy.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Be careful what you post guys... he might see this thread someday, decide to become a member here and then cry to the mods. Bannings can be handed down decades later and you won't even know what for.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    Man, almost looks like he works for PrimaLuna, or comes just short of it.

Alright, I just viewed a short clip of one of his vids just to see who this guy is. I agree, he definitely comes across as a - well, pick whichever pejorative you like; any would probably fit - but not like that's unusual in this hobby.

Jerky dBaggerism and unsavory sales tactics aside, I gotta ask, is there any truth to what he was saying? Point to point wiring besting PCB and ribbon cables, for example?
    I disabled signatures.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    I have also had bad dealings with him. Talked down to me because I was trying to get a new set of tubes for my Cary SLP-05.

Basically he tried to tell me the same about the build quality vs a Primaluna. And he is a Cary dealer, just not who I originally purchased from. I lost all respect for him and upscale then.

Many dealers in the world who want to help. Just move on and don’t look back.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • stangman67
    edited February 2018
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Alright, I just viewed a short clip of one of his vids just to see who this guy is. I agree, he definitely comes across as a - well, pick whichever pejorative you like; any would probably fit - but not like that's unusual in this hobby.

Jerky dBaggerism and unsavory sales tactics aside, I gotta ask, is there any truth to what he was saying? Point to point wiring besting PCB and ribbon cables, for example?

He does, he is the Primaluna USA importer so he has a definite stake in all of this. Just terrible business practices. I'm sure there are plenty of people that buy into his crap, but its bad for our hobby overall

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Well -- Point to point is generally better than PCBs, yes* and ribbon cables have no business in (and generally aren't found in) analog circuitry. Both are "value engineering" tactics, to reduce price and assembly costs.

AFAIK, Primaluna is Upscale's house brand -- isn't it?

* Think about that signal some of y'all coddle with expensive interconnects travelin' around inside an amplifier on a little printed (etched, more accurately) ribbon of metal foil, unshielded from any stray inductance or EM fields on a PC board. Sound like a good idea to you?

PCBs are OK, though, and they're pretty much a necessary evil when it comes to most solid state circuitry, which is just too darned complex to wire P2P without looking like something that a dog vomited up.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't care for Upscale Audio. Will never do business with them. They overhype their tubes also. Kevin is the typical salesperson.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    Ah. That makes sense on the trash and hard sell.
    I agree, and I'm truly sorry for the experience you had with this guy. Awful.

I'm fairly certain he kicks cats any chance he gets, and trash talks his mom's cooking daily just to make her cry.
    I disabled signatures.
  • stangman67
    Options
    I don't mind my experience, I'm glad I realized what he and his company were all about early. I feel for the brands he trashes and unethically steals business from

• mhardy6647
    Options
    As to SS vs. vacuum tube rectification, it's pretty much a push. There are advantages and disadvantages to both approaches. In the old days, it wasn't uncommon to find amps using both topologies (e.g., vacuum tube for HV, and solid state for bias supplies and DC filaments for small-signal circuits). Some of the finest commercial vacuum tube amplifiers ever made (I'm lookin' at you, Marantz 8B!) used solid state rectification only.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    coda: Just buy tubes from someone like Brent Jesse or Jim McShane.
  • stangman67
    Options
    Yup, I've been perusing Brent Jessee's site and have picked out a few that interest me. Particularly some long plate square getter Mullards, which cost a pretty penny but seem to offer exactly what I am looking for sound signature wise

• Clipdat
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The reason why he delayed your online order and didn't process it in a timely fashion, is because he wanted to get you on the phone in order to trash talk Backert?! That is a ridiculous way of doing business. Like he won't sell you his "prized" tubes because he doesn't want them going into an inferior Backert product. WTF??
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    ^^^He's a great guy ...sometimes a few $$ more but for the chat and service...priceless
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stangman67
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The reason why he delayed your online order and didn't process it in a timely fashion, is because he wanted to get you on the phone in order to trash talk Backert?! That is a ridiculous way of doing business. Like he won't sell you his "prized" tubes because he doesn't want them going into an inferior Backert product. WTF??

I don't think that's why the order was delayed. I think he got a bit behind because everytime someone buys tubes and doesn't list a primaluna product as the receptor, he calls them and pulls this sham he tried to pull on me. Its certainly a strategy and obviously it works.

I mean just read this ****! https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/rogue-audio-cronus-magnum-kt120-model-used

Dude is off his rocker, seeing how much used stuff he has to sell, this strategy must work more often than not. I am glad I'm not a dimwitted fool. I listened to the Primaluna stuff, and while it sounded good, I do not think I am missing out in the slightest. And something can be said for a company that just has good people at the helm rather than this Kevin character

• Clipdat
    Options
    Wow, even slamming a product that he's trying to sell. I'm sure that'll help it move real fast.

He didn't question my order for two 6sn7 tubes when I put "Schiit Saga" on the order.

Come to think of it, he probably recognized that as a sign that I had little to no money for Primaluna gear, so he wisely passed me by :)
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I don't think that's why the order was delayed. I think he got a bit behind because everytime someone buys tubes and doesn't list a primaluna product as the receptor, he calls them and pulls this sham he tried to pull on me. Its certainly a strategy and obviously it works.

I mean just read this ****! https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/rogue-audio-cronus-magnum-kt120-model-used

Dude is off his rocker, seeing how much used stuff he has to sell, this strategy must work more often than not. I am glad I'm not a dimwitted fool. I listened to the Primaluna stuff, and while it sounded good, I do not think I am missing out in the slightest. And something can be said for a company that just has good people at the helm rather than this Kevin character

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2018
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Yup, I've been perusing Brent Jessee's site and have picked out a few that interest me. Particularly some long plate square getter Mullards, which cost a pretty penny but seem to offer exactly what I am looking for sound signature wise

Good , don't hesitate to email the dude with questions either. He also has tubes not on that list.
    Sucks with the bad experience. Very unprofessional. Primaluna makes good products too, but the Rhumba has the benefit of a great company and service behind it while also being local to you. Bob and Andy....hard to find better guys to deal with.

As Far as quality concerns go...like I always say...I don't care if there is 2 squirrels on a wheel inside, it's the sound that counts....and the Rhumba has it.

Let me add, that the more you dive into audio, the more you'll get those who will knock your choices. If you do your research, put some weight to ears you trust, you can't go wrong. Audio is a journey, a path of discovery....we all do it at different speed.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    He has a questionnaire for the tubes? Sorry you had to go through that Zach. I got this unit first and while it was definitely not fully worked in when I had it, I could tell it was going to blossom. I was happy to see you got one. I had a talk with Andy a few months ago out of the blue and it was good. We should get him down for LSAF.

As a company there are brands I don't like to see clients buy into and it can range from poor quality to poor sound to bad people to work with to poor customer service. I try to be selective and let clients know if they begin venturing that way but it's a tightrope to walk. Once a purchase is made, it no longer matters and I simply wish them the best.

Oh that is just total bunk right there. After I bought the Hello Kitty boom box, that has quite a following on here I might add, you called me up and woke me up in the middle of the night saying all kinds of crazy stuff. Anything from "is your refrigerator running" to "what color underwear are you wearing."
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    Yea like you wear underwear Kerry i call bs right there.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    In the past I purchased quite a number of tubes from Kevin, tubes that were hard to find, but he had them. I never experienced anything close to what is being described. He was always pleasant and I enjoyed discussing a bit of audio with him.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited February 2018
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    In the past I purchased quite a number of tubes from Kevin, tubes that were hard to find, but he had them. I never experienced anything close to what is being described. He was always pleasant and I enjoyed discussing a bit of audio with him.

Because you are both of the same ilk......you just lack the ability to perceive it amongst the "commin folk" like us.