• Sumerian
    Sumerian Posts: 490
    Options
    Hope i am not bombarding with too questions
    Stanton ST 150 is it for DJs only? Looks very solid
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I did the same thing when I was on my quest and was blown away by how much good info I received. Just one of the great things about this forum, everyone is ready to help you spend your money. :)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Music Hall
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Sumerian
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I did the same thing when I was on my quest and was blown away by how much good info I received. Just one of the great things about this forum, everyone is ready to help you spend your money. :)
    My entire setup is with the help of the polkies here.
  • Sumerian
    Options
    Almost every search pops Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB
    Is it really that good?
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Sumerian wrote: »
    Is it really that good?

If your looking for a plug and play. It's hard to top at $300. Been enjoying mine for a few years now. Trouble free and easy to set up.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Options
    Is it really that good?

It's ok, but for the same kind of money, I honestly think you would be better off in the U-Turn, Music Hall, and Pro-ject brands. The Audio Technica is a poor man's Technics 1200, and is primarily aimed at the DJ market. Whereas the three mentioned earlier have models aimed square at the entry level hi-fi market.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Pro-Ject
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Sumerian
    Options
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Pro-Ject
    Is it true there is a common problem of humming noise in project TTs
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Is it really that good?

No. It's just one of many clones of the old (not the current) Panasonic/Technics SL-1200. It should be perfectly OK but it's nothing special. There's nothing wrong a priori with a "DJ" table -- except for some of the models that have short, straight arms with a headshell with no "offset". Such decks are made for scratching; not for listening to records. They won't allow proper alignment of the phono cartridge.

Here's an example. This model's arm looks to be proper length, but note the "straight" headshell -- it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to align the cartridge (stylus) to be maximally aliigned to the record groove across the surface of the record with that headshell. Also note that the guts of this tt are essentially identical to that Onkyo discussed earlier. This is another Hanpin OEM tt.

u6iztgyi25ul.png

The A-T may or may not be made by Hanpin; I don't know.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Pro-Ject

There are numerous reports of motor issues with Pro-Jects. I think they are generally taken care of under warranty. If so, it's more of an irritation than a real issue.

Remember that reports on the Internet are anecdotal. In other words, "Your mileage may vary!" :P

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pro-ject-carbon-debut-esprit-sb-vs-u-turn-orbit-special.799373/
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pro-ject-the-classic-very-disappointing.774114/#post-10605114
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pro-ject-1-3-motor-vibration-normal-or-not.768627/#post-10507608
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/almost-a-year-with-the-pro-ject-the-classic.792768/#post-10953077
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/help-noisy-pro-ject-carbon.785991/
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pro-ject-debut-carbon-a-few-questions-re-hum-anti-skate-etc.773048/
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pro-ject-debut-carbon-woes-regret-and-acceptance.767027/

The other problem is that the 21st Century vinylista are heavily biased, IMO, towards thin-skinned neurotics :) Perusal of the links above should yield the impression of a bunch of rabid fanatics with deeply-held opinions about everything - and little patience with actual data or folks with opinions contrary to theirs! :(

In other words, don't write off the Pro-Ject tts just on the basis of bad press on teh interwebs! :)
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Pro-Ject

With certain cartridges I believe. My grado gold has a light hum when the cartridge gets all the way to the end of the record, but it hasn't bothered me at any point. But yes, something to take into consideration.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Grado cartridges have an endemic hum issue (with some turntables). As described above, when the cartridge gets close to the motor (i.e., near the end of the record), the hum is induced.

The "Grado hum" is, to my understanding, due to the Grados' being unshielded.
    The issue is well documented -- to the point that there's a "Grado hum" database of compatible or incompatible tts, I believe.
    here's one "database" (FWIW): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k_Wr5zx-hcJ0as6wub8wIqsMu2a67DyLhzE8grJp9mc/edit#gid=0

The Pro-Ject issue (at least, a Pro-Ject issue) is motor related.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    I like all the recommendations so far. The note re: the Pro-ject hum, I'm currently auditioning a Debut Carbon with Ortonfon Red. It's a simple, pleasing experience, but yes, it hums. Not too noticeable at lower listening levels, but audible at higher ones, especially during quieter passages or while idle. I can minimize it with a different, "lesser quality" cable.

No one's mentioned the Pioneer PLX-1000 yet, which is supposed to be really good, too, for anyone who wants an original Technics 1200 type. Well built chassis, tonearm damping, RCA terminals instead of captive cables (this may or may not be a plus) For the Technics clones, this would be the only model I'd consider, I think, at least with what I know at this point, and I haven't looked around much in the past couple of years. Forget the DJ marketing and just look at the table.
    https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/product/turntable/plx-1000/black/overview/

I almost went with one of these but got scared off due to a marketing error on the wow and flutter spec. I didn't even know what that was, but people on Steve Hoffman seemed to make a big deal about it. Turns out someone put a decimal in the wrong place, and after they moved the decimal, people starting paying more attention to the people who'd previously offered positive reviews.

What is it about hanpin driven tables that makes them plague like? Are they noisy or rumbly, not constant speed? Or are they just the smelly kid of turntable motors?

ru7o71wsikd5.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The Hanpins seem to be perfectly OK. I think that the aforementioned, neurotic ;)vinylista* look down their noses at them partly due to good old jingoism (they're... they're... gasp... Chinese!) and partly because they're pretty accurate clones of the SL-1200. The SL-1200 itself draws scorn from a segment of the vinylista because -- gasp!! -- they were sold to, bought by, and used by -- DJs.

Heavens.

:p

3v5ldwtkmd4t.png

The Pioneer is likely no better nor worse than most of the clones. It's not inexpensive, but its not outrageous either. I am sure they're fine -- but -- yeah, it's not going to impress anyone (if that's a key point for any one!). ;)

... and don't get me started about specifications, especially when it comes to tts :)

4mger0aumnnm.png
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The SL-1200 and its clones are too bling-y for the vinylista, of course!
    They prefer a subtle, elegant and understated aesthetic -- you know, like the Thorens Reference:

sgj6jdt9isot.png

;)
  • Sumerian
    Options
    So pioneer plx1000 is no better than audio technica 120?
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    Options

Simply put -- I don't know. Really only one way to find out. The Pioneer is considerably more expensive (i.e., on the order of a factor of two), isn't it?

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q
    https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DJ-PLX-1000-Direct-Turntable/dp/B00O8U3ZI2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1517586037&sr=8-4&keywords=pioneer+plx+1000

(This particular morph of the A-T has an ADC and USB built in, apparently, as well as a built-in phono preamp: the Pioneer has neither, FWIW)

I'd expect them to be operationally/functionally pretty much interchangeable -- but that is not an opinion formed from experience!!!
  • Sumerian
    Options
    Thanks for the details. I think these look good not sure how they sound. Pioneer, Audio Technica and Stranton looks fancy may be because of the DJ element?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Yes -- note that they're all more or less morphological clones of each other and of their granddaddy, the Technics SL-1200.

8n6chdf793q5.png

The sine qua non.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    That SL-1200 looks a lot like my turntable. At least I THINK it does, as I haven't seen it for at least 15 years. (Even though it is in it's original box 15 feet behind where I am presently sitting.) :p
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Oh, if you want, Panasonic has rebooted the SL-1200. A little pricey, but by all accounts a nice turntable :)

http://www.technics.com/us/products/grand-class/direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200g.html

vizir1mfp9ya.png
  • Viking64
    Options
    I have probably played 10 albums on mine since buying it in 1999. I think spending $4,000 on a replacement considering how mint mine is and how much use it would get would be a non-cost-effective investment. HAHAHAHAHA
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    That's why used can be an excellent option for some folks :)
  • Sumerian
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I have probably played 10 albums on mine since buying it in 1999. I think spending $4,000 on a replacement considering how mint mine is and how much use it would get would be a non-cost-effective investment. HAHAHAHAHA

Are you planning to sell yours?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,428
    Options
    Haha, easy there Captain Simplification
    The Pioneer is built much better than the AT LP-120. The LP-120 was the first table I tried. It was heavy and had a weighted base somehow, but it rang. It think the top plate on it is plastic. Take a closer look at the tech in the Pioneer table. Zinc chassis, resin reinforced base, and damping material in the base and in the tonearm. These tables are not in the same class.

One of the cool things about the Technics SL-1200 and variants, presumably, this Pioneer, is the torquey direct drive motor, Hanpin or not. They keep accurate speed, and don't have a belt that slips when you put a lint brush on the record.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Options
    Are you planning to sell yours?
    No, but if I did, I would sell it to a friend or something like that.
  • Sumerian
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Haha, easy there Captain Simplification
    The Pioneer is built much better than the AT LP-120. The LP-120 was the first table I tried. It was heavy and had a weighted base somehow, but it rang. It think the top plate on it is plastic. Take a closer look at the tech in the Pioneer table. Zinc chassis, resin reinforced base, and damping material in the base and in the tonearm. These tables are not in the same class.

One of the cool things about the Technics SL-1200 and variants, presumably, this Pioneer, is the torquey direct drive motor, Hanpin or not. They keep accurate speed, and don't have a belt that slips when you put a lint brush on the record.

Back in the day i use to send quite a bit of time before i picked anything. This time i wish its simple and fast:-)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I don't think you'd go wrong with the Pioneer PLX-1000; how's that for simple and fast? :)

Don't suffer from analysis paralysis.